The Magpies are back

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by Guest, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, you heard right on my last ride i was attacked by no less than 4 magpies, now im not sure if i want to wear my new 230 buck Met Helmet. My last 40 buck helmet was scratched and chunks taken out of it by those @# magpies. And no i dont want to paint eyes on my helmet 8) and other ppl here with magpie ploblems? ps goh they can fly fast i was still being bomb dived at 65kph grrr. ah well they will not stop me.

Tags:

2. Vo2

Vo2 Member

;D ;D Use it as speed training! See if you can out-cycle them! ;D ;D

3. Guest

Guest Guest

THe magpies sound pretty scary...
    On a ride yesterday a squirrel decided to jump in front of me for no particular reason. I was doing about 45 km/h and the damn tree rat was just sitting there and playing chicken with me :D
    Had to swing out for the useless furball!!!

I think the animal kingdom is involved in a huge conspiracy against cyclists in general. Today after a pretty intense ride I had to scrape out ca. 50 different species of insects out of my eyes and face :eek:

4. Guest

Guest Guest

yes i now how you feel i was going 50kph and a Walaby (HUGE fury rat way biger than a squirel :) ) jumped out in front ;D ;D ;D

5. Guest

Guest Guest

;D ;D ;D Ha-Ha-Ha, these posts were really funny!! I just pictured all these incidents and couldn't help but laughing. Any of you guys ever had to out-cycle an angry dog?? Now that's SCARY!! :eek:

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Now dogs are another matter....especially those huge ones like great danes!!!
    A big dog usually gets me into my super sprinting mode...which is good training by the way...(note to self--ride past SPCA this afternoon)

Poodles are the exception, I would actually try to run over one...darn ankle-snapping furballs :D

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yah, dogs are quite dangerous, no matter how small. My daughter (7) were cycling in the road in front of our house (cul-de-sac) and three "ankle snapping furballs" jumped her off her bike and attacked her, in her face of all places. Now she's got a nasty scar in her face and I've got this everlasting hatred for small dogs. :mad:

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ah , Running over dogs on my bike , been there done that, ;D

From another post I mentioned that I've got a MB and those XC tyres seem to cope pretty well.

one dog was an "ankle-snapper" that took a fancy to my front wheel but he got more than he bargained for.
    The otherwas a larger dog whose owner had only just left him off his leash as I approached, so the dog decided to play chicken with my bike , unfortunatly he placed his paws to close to the bike which I then duly ran over them, boy did he Yelp. closely followed by loads of abuse from the owner.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Getting away from dogs is good for speed training :) that is unless you have a nice big pump ready to swing ;)

cheers!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, Nicholas. I think your'e lucky that those Magpies didn't go for your eyes. I read that ornerythologists say it only happens when the birds are nesting, sitting on eggs, springtime.
    Years ago this used to be a problem in Canberra, according to the magazines of the time. I always thought that the magpies knew that Canberra was full of academics, and were just trying to 'pick their brains'. :)