The most awesome Steel Bikes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark D, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Mark D

    Mark D Guest

    Hi Thought I'd try to stray away from much of the political threads that
    are popping up all over usenet, and talk about something many of us love
    here, Steel Bikes (Frames)

    I truly admire/love frames like Sachs, Waterford, Davidson, Hetchins,
    Merckx, Paramount, Guerciotti's and even some of the new Italian
    Alberto Masi's starting to trickle in to US.
    Some of the new Masi Samples I have heard are a bit rough around the
    edges, but I'm sure quality will improve, and prices hopefully will come
    down.

    One Bike Frame Builder I've lately had my eye on, is a company called
    Columbine Bikes, and they're in Mendocino, CA. Got thier brochure a
    couple of weeks ago, and I was floored over the museum quality of build,
    and the beauty of thier artwork. Does anyone here own a Columbine?

    I notice they typically use Stainless Steel Lugs, and I'd like to ask on
    how Stainless would hold up versus Chromoly Lugs?

    Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making astounding
    examples of bike builder's art here in the US.

    Columbines prices start at about $2300 (And the sky's the limit), and I
    don't think this is out of line from what others charge for entry level
    high quality Steel Lugged Frames.
    Mark D.

    Tags:

  2. Wasatch5k

    Wasatch5k Guest

    > One Bike Frame Builder I've lately had my eye on, is a company called
    > Columbine Bikes, and they're in Mendocino, CA.

    <SNIP>

    Is this the one:

    Columbine Cycle Works

    http://columbinecycle.com/

  3. fixit

    fixit New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
  4. Pegoretti
    Nobilette
    Mondonico

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Mark D wrote:
    > Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making astounding
    > examples of bike builder's art here in the US.

    It's not in the US, but you really must see the work of Jan van Dalen:

    www.duell.nl

    Greets, Derk

  6. g.daniels

    g.daniels Guest

    another long playing record.

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Mark D wrote:

    > One Bike Frame Builder I've lately had my eye on, is a company called
    > Columbine Bikes, and they're in Mendocino, CA. Got thier brochure a
    > couple of weeks ago, and I was floored over the museum quality of
    > build, and the beauty of thier artwork. Does anyone here own a
    > Columbine?

    Columbine has been around a long time now, catering to those who want the
    fanciest frame available.

    > I notice they typically use Stainless Steel Lugs, and I'd like to ask
    > on how Stainless would hold up versus Chromoly Lugs?

    Just fine, better than the chromed lugs some have used previously, which is why
    stainless is being used. Waterford uses stainless lugs too, for those who want
    the chromed lug look. I think their dropouts are stainless as well.

    > Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making
    > astounding examples of bike builder's art here in the US.

    If you like fillet brazed frames, look at Curtlo, and of course, Tom Ritchey's
    handmade ones. (Does he still make them?) I don't know if Basso still makes
    the Gap, but that was a nice frame too -- a mixture of lugs and fillets.

    > Columbines prices start at about $2300 (And the sky's the limit), and
    > I don't think this is out of line from what others charge for entry
    > level high quality Steel Lugged Frames.

    No one's getting rich doing this. It's an art/craft like handmade furniture or
    jewelry, to be appreciated as such.

    Matt O.

  8. Wasatch5k <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > One Bike Frame Builder I've lately had my eye on, is a company called
    > > Columbine Bikes, and they're in Mendocino, CA.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > Is this the one:
    >
    > Columbine Cycle Works
    >
    > http://columbinecycle.com/

    Try <http://www.bikelugs.com/pacentigallery/index.html>
    , major bike porn.

    many priced well vs. the carbon/AL wonder bikes.
    A pretty fancy Columbine is less than a Pinarello Dogma.
    My LBS told me that Pinarello pays people who ride their bikes
    $100 a year for riding a billboard, the Pin maybe less $$ over time.

    Scott "the unsponsored" Goldsmith.

  9. Patrick W.

    Patrick W. Guest

    > Columbines prices start at about $2300 (And the sky's the limit), and I
    > don't think this is out of line from what others charge for entry level
    > high quality Steel Lugged Frames.
    > Mark D.

    I just took delivery of a made-to-measure Della Santa frame. It's stunning
    with classic but not gaudy detail, custom chosen mix & match tubeset for my
    weight/frame size, and light as a feather. The best part? Roland still tends
    to undercharge dramatically for his frames. With $100 worth of extra paint
    costs for two colors, and another $100 for nickel plating on the dropouts
    the price to my door for both frame and fork was $1665. That included, by
    the way, a silca pump painted to exactly match the frame. Can't wait to
    build & ride that baby!

    http://www.dellasanta.com

    - Patrick W.

  10. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Mark D) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making astounding
    > examples of bike builder's art here in the US.

    Every time I see examples of Glenn Erickson's work, my knees go all
    wiggly. Some examples (with links to other fancy-pants builders) are
    at:
    http://www.sandsmachine.com/bp_erick.htm

    Jeff

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    g.daniels wrote:

    > another long playing record.

    I thought those were vinyl, not steel.

    --
    Tom Sherman

  12. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Jeff Wills wrote:
    > [email protected] (Mark D) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making astounding
    >>examples of bike builder's art here in the US.

    Cool, a pr0n thread in r.b.t. :)

    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com
    http://www.vanillabicycles.com
    http://www.richardsachs.com

    http://www.bikelugs.com
    http://www.kogswell.com <- imported lugged frames with a bobish
    following. KOBS??
    http://www.kogswellowners.com/pics2/album14

    http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/index.php <-aussie that's on
    the frame builders list.

    I can't for the life of me find Brian Baylis's (B2)'s site. Thought I
    had it book marked. He builds some nice stuff and restores quite a bit
    too. Cool thing is he's local, and always seems to show up at the
    Vintage rides with something really neat.

    Here's Chuck Schmidt's site, he got his picture in the Dec. Buycycling
    magazine. He's holding what appears to be the Peter Johnson Drillium
    bike. :) Nice bike. Peter is also in the article displaying what is a
    HUGE collection of vintage campy parts. It looks like steel is seeing a
    revival.

    http://velo-retro.com/

    --
    Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
    gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71

  13. [email protected] (Mark D) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Thought I'd try to stray away from much of the political threads that
    > are popping up all over usenet, and talk about something many of us love
    > here, Steel Bikes (Frames)
    >
    > I truly admire/love frames like Sachs, Waterford, Davidson, Hetchins,
    > Merckx, Paramount, Guerciotti's and even some of the new Italian
    > Alberto Masi's starting to trickle in to US.
    > Some of the new Masi Samples I have heard are a bit rough around the
    > edges, but I'm sure quality will improve, and prices hopefully will come
    > down.
    >
    > One Bike Frame Builder I've lately had my eye on, is a company called
    > Columbine Bikes, and they're in Mendocino, CA. Got thier brochure a
    > couple of weeks ago, and I was floored over the museum quality of build,
    > and the beauty of thier artwork. Does anyone here own a Columbine?
    >
    > I notice they typically use Stainless Steel Lugs, and I'd like to ask on
    > how Stainless would hold up versus Chromoly Lugs?
    >
    > Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making astounding
    > examples of bike builder's art here in the US.
    >
    > Columbines prices start at about $2300 (And the sky's the limit), and I
    > don't think this is out of line from what others charge for entry level
    > high quality Steel Lugged Frames.
    > Mark D.

    **********************************

    Here are some fine looking bikes:-

    http://www.donwalkercycles.com

    Lewis.

    ********************************

  14. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Mark D) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hi Thought I'd try to stray away from much of the political threads that
    >> are popping up all over usenet, and talk about something many of us love
    >> here, Steel Bikes (Frames)
    >>
    >> I truly admire/love frames like Sachs, Waterford, Davidson, Hetchins,
    >> Merckx, Paramount, Guerciotti's and even some of the new Italian
    >> Alberto Masi's starting to trickle in to US.
    >> Some of the new Masi Samples I have heard are a bit rough around the
    >> edges, but I'm sure quality will improve, and prices hopefully will come
    >> down.
    >>
    >> One Bike Frame Builder I've lately had my eye on, is a company called
    >> Columbine Bikes, and they're in Mendocino, CA. Got thier brochure a
    >> couple of weeks ago, and I was floored over the museum quality of build,
    >> and the beauty of thier artwork. Does anyone here own a Columbine?
    >>
    >> I notice they typically use Stainless Steel Lugs, and I'd like to ask on
    >> how Stainless would hold up versus Chromoly Lugs?
    >>
    >> Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making astounding
    >> examples of bike builder's art here in the US.
    >>
    >> Columbines prices start at about $2300 (And the sky's the limit), and I
    >> don't think this is out of line from what others charge for entry level
    >> high quality Steel Lugged Frames.
    >> Mark D.

    > **********************************
    >
    > Here are some fine looking bikes:-
    >
    > http://www.donwalkercycles.com
    >
    > Lewis.
    >
    > ********************************

    Don't forget to look at Albert Eisentraut, the "Godfather of American
    Framebuilders". Here's a recent sample of his stuff:

    http://www.litman.com/bikes/eisentraut.htm

    Have you seen lugs that thin?....

  15. [email protected] (Mark D) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Thought I'd try to stray away from much of the political threads that
    > are popping up all over usenet, and talk about something many of us love
    > here, Steel Bikes (Frames)

    > Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making astounding
    > examples of bike builder's art here in the US.
    >
    > Columbines prices start at about $2300 (And the sky's the limit), and I
    > don't think this is out of line from what others charge for entry level
    > high quality Steel Lugged Frames.
    > Mark D.

    Bill Holland of Spring Valley Ca specializes in titanium bikes but he
    builds steel bikes as well. He doesn't have a website, maybe because
    he doesn't need one. His phone number is 619-469-1772.

    Tom

  16. g.daniels

    g.daniels Guest

    i do envy people commuting in their 904 GTS on odd days and the 250LM on evens

  17. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    Patrick W. wrote:
    >>Columbines prices start at about $2300 (And the sky's the limit), and I
    >>don't think this is out of line from what others charge for entry level
    >>high quality Steel Lugged Frames.
    >>Mark D.
    >>

    > I just took delivery of a made-to-measure Della Santa frame. It's stunning
    > with classic but not gaudy detail, custom chosen mix & match tubeset for my
    > weight/frame size, and light as a feather. The best part? Roland still tends
    > to undercharge dramatically for his frames. With $100 worth of extra paint
    > costs for two colors, and another $100 for nickel plating on the dropouts
    > the price to my door for both frame and fork was $1665. That included, by
    > the way, a silca pump painted to exactly match the frame. Can't wait to
    > build & ride that baby!
    >
    > http://www.dellasanta.com
    >
    > - Patrick W.

    absolutely agree. as the proud owner of a della santa, among many
    others both owned & tried, roland is undoubtedly a star among stars in
    his art.

  18. Mark D asked:

    > Can anyone else comment about other builders, who are making
    > astounding examples of bike builder's art here in the US.

    I have personally seen some really fine examples of bike-builder's art
    in the shop of Sacramento's famous _"Man Of Steel"_ :

    http://rexcycles.com/