The most comfortable saddle money can buy

Alias

Jun 20, 2006
I'll start by saying that i love my new giant tcr composite 2. (Having only done 100k so far) The bike handles well and climbs like a mountain goat, the only real gripe i have about it is the saddle. It's a composite base with a piece of fabric over the top, a very thing piece of fabric. My butt is that sore, i'm having trouble sitting on a leather couch.
My mountain bike saddle, WTB Laser V, is a comfortable seat and i've never had a problem with it. I thought the amount of time i've spent on the mountain bike would prepare me for what i was about to receive. I was wrong. I doubt i'll be able to get on my road bike tomorrow or the day after that, it's going to take some healing.
What is the most comfortable saddle to buy without sacrificing speed or weight?

Fiz:k arione. Once worn in, can't feel it under you until about 1.5-2 hours in. even then it isn't bad. It costs about $180 aud and weighs 230grams which is pretty light. Thoroughly recommended

I agree with the arione. Now, Fizik just introduced an Arione with carbon rails... lighter and even more comfy.

This wins hands down...

Pelotoons.jpg

Fiz:k arione , you can get one for around 140 new, with the introduction of the carbon railed version the prices have come down ... I would deff recomend it

Alias said:
I'll start by saying that i love my new giant tcr composite 2. (Having only done 100k so far) The bike handles well and climbs like a mountain goat, the only real gripe i have about it is the saddle. It's a composite base with a piece of fabric over the top, a very thing piece of fabric. My butt is that sore, i'm having trouble sitting on a leather couch.
My mountain bike saddle, WTB Laser V, is a comfortable seat and i've never had a problem with it. I thought the amount of time i've spent on the mountain bike would prepare me for what i was about to receive. I was wrong. I doubt i'll be able to get on my road bike tomorrow or the day after that, it's going to take some healing.
I am envious of the people that could probably ride a 2x4, on edge. For me, it's which saddle is the least uncomfortable. I think you sacrafice more speed and endurance, by riding a light weight saddle, that is not as comfortable for you, as a heavier saddle that is more comfortable. Some riders like a flat top, my Fizik Arione is an example. While some like a dip in the center, my Fizik Aliante is an example. I am down to riding two saddles, all the rest I will be selling once I get around to it. My most comfortable is a Selle San Marco Aero Gel Around, that I have lightened to 308g but havn't given up on getting it to 299g because It sounds better to me. My next choice, is my Fizik Aliante Ti @ 239g. Fizik gave me a $100 credit on my 206g Aliante with the broken carbon rail. Most of my club members will swap you their saddle for your's, for one ride, so you can evaluate different saddles before you buy.

Alias said:
My mountain bike saddle, WTB Laser V, is a comfortable seat and i've never had a problem with it.
Here is an idea: If you like the WTB Laser V on your MTB then buy another one and put it on your road bike.

Worrying about the weight of a saddle is stupid. Find one that fits your butt and stick to it.

Alias said:
===========================================================
Unfortunately most saddles(or seats as I like to call them) are pretty good - it's your butt that needs to learn to cope and change!
Unless it's a semi track seat(i.e. SLR etc) then they're usually well shaped, have a similar amount of padding etc. Yours may not be that good.
After thousands of miles, numerous saddle sores and aches and pains down there you'll get used to your seat and it won't matter much whether it's a Fizik Arione or whatever.
Sorry, it's just the way it is:)

My Arione carbon braided was comfortable straight out of the box, the extra length allows you to slide back when climbing. As another poster mentioned you sit on top of the saddle more as opposed to into it.

The carbon rails lower the weight to 179gms, so if money is no object then I'd consider this saddle.

That being said a good set of cycling bib knicks with a great chamois can solve a lot of seating problems or enhance the comfort of any saddle.

arione1.jpg
arione2.jpg

Here are some reviews

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/fizik_arione_carbon

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione.shtml

Bigbananabike said:
Unfortunately most saddles(or seats as I like to call them) are pretty good - it's your butt that needs to learn to cope and change!
Unless it's a semi track seat(i.e. SLR etc) then they're usually well shaped, have a similar amount of padding etc. Yours may not be that good.
After thousands of miles, numerous saddle sores and aches and pains down there you'll get used to your seat and it won't matter much whether it's a Fizik Arione or whatever.
Sorry, it's just the way it is:)
Almost any seat, fits all butts? And that is only one part of you, that contacts the seat. Even the Pro riders, riding Fizik, don't all ride the same saddle. Robert West, M.D. and patent patent holder of the Arrowhead design, couldn't disagree with you more! You should to go to: aerosaddles.com and click on "Philosophy" & "Arrowhead System", to see why. If you went to your doctor with an illness or pain, how would you like it if he told you, "you will get use to it, that is just the way it is"? "Go home and learn to cope".

I agree with Bro Deal, it seems when I'm really sore and in pain, it takes away from my focus. I still use the stock saddle on my 7.2fx, but it took some getting used to and some minor adjustments as well. If you're in so much pain that you can't stand to ride, what good is that doing you. I say don't worry too much about the weight of the saddle and get one that allows you to get some mileage on your wheels.

lks said:
Robert West, M.D. and patent patent holder of the Arrowhead design, couldn't disagree with you more! You should to go to: aerosaddles.com and click on "Philosophy" & "Arrowhead System", to see why.
LOL. I am sure you will get unbiased information from that site. Call me skeptical but I am not too quick to buy into statements like, " “Aero Saddle” is the final answer to the rider's problem of how to best position himself on the saddle," especially when they are coming from someone who will benefit financially.

My buddy bought a new bike and Fizik saddle. He told me that I should ditch my saddle and get a Fizik. Several weeks later he said that after 2 hours, the new saddle lit his ass on fire. Everybody's butt is different.

I ride two different saddles: an old-style Selle Italia Flite (you know, the one without the gel insert), which is on my cyclocross bike; and a Forte SLX Pro, which is on my road bike. The Forte saddle is great, I've had minimal soreness after doing a few rides that have had me on the bike for upwards of 10 hours. The Flite saddle has always been good to me, that's why I still have it 10 years later...

I think the more critical issue with comfort are the shorts you wear. I wear my Pearl Izumi bibs for the long rides, and normal bike shorts (a mix of PI and Cannondale) for the shorter rides.

Bro Deal said:
LOL. I am sure you will get unbiased information from that site. Call me skeptical but I am not too quick to buy into statements like, " “Aero Saddle” is the final answer to the rider's problem of how to best position himself on the saddle," especially when they are coming from someone who will benefit financially.
Yeah, got to love the hype and ad copy that goes into selling saddles.

I rode the SSM ERA for quite a few years before getting an Arione on my new bike. Setup dead level with the nose more forward than the ERA, the Arione was comfortable for two years and 10K miles. This season, comfort went south as the foam broke down, letting my sitzbones sink right down to the pan.

Replaced it in May with a SI Flite Gel, which unlike the Arione, has the classic kicked-up tail. That saddle felt alot different than the Arione, certainly not very comfortable on the century did on it the first week. It took several adjustments on the fore/aft and tilt angle, to get comfortable on the different shape and eliminate the numbness. Now, after about 600 miles and 3 months, it feels as good as the Arione did.

Point of all this is that moving to a different saddle took some fiddling to get the set up right. In addition, the shape was different and the pressure points changed, so break-in mileage and time was required before I was comfortable again.

FreeHueco said:
I ride two different saddles: an old-style Selle Italia Flite (you know, the one without the gel insert), which is on my cyclocross bike; and a Forte SLX Pro, which is on my road bike. The Forte saddle is great, I've had minimal soreness after doing a few rides that have had me on the bike for upwards of 10 hours. The Flite saddle has always been good to me, that's why I still have it 10 years later...

I think the more critical issue with comfort are the shorts you wear. I wear my Pearl Izumi bibs for the long rides, and normal bike shorts (a mix of PI and Cannondale) for the shorter rides.
I use to ride a Flite and a SLR, but sold them because I couldn't ride them anymore. Seemed to coincide with the onset of old age and breaking my hip, which broke my Fizik's carbon rail. What works today, may not work tomorrow.

Went through a lot of saddles, before I settled on a Fizik Aliante. Pricey bugger, at around $USD 175-200, maybe a bit less online, but oh so comfortable.

lks said:
Almost any seat, fits all butts? And that is only one part of you, that contacts the seat. Even the Pro riders, riding Fizik, don't all ride the same saddle. Robert West, M.D. and patent patent holder of the Arrowhead design, couldn't disagree with you more! You should to go to: aerosaddles.com and click on "Philosophy" & "Arrowhead System", to see why. If you went to your doctor with an illness or pain, how would you like it if he told you, "you will get use to it, that is just the way it is"? "Go home and learn to cope".
I did put "most" and that not all saddles are good. Case in point. Friend bought a used Lemond Nevada for commuting. He hadn't ridden in years. In the first week or so he complained about the seat and could I recommend one that was comfortable.
After looking at it/feeling it I said he'd just have to get used to it(it's an ok unit). He did and has now put nearly 5k kilometres on his bike - riding to and from work doing 38 kilometres every weekday(good on him!).
He's never mentioned the seat complaint(as it isn't one) again:)

Grumpy Pig said:
My buddy bought a new bike and Fizik saddle. He told me that I should ditch my saddle and get a Fizik. Several weeks later he said that after 2 hours, the new saddle lit his ass on fire. Everybody's butt is different.
Fizik originally developed the Arione just for Gilberto Simoni, because he likes to ride way forward on the flats and way back on the climbs and wanted a long flat light weight saddle. One lab test saddle had no covering, just a clear form so they could beam an ultrasound up thru the bottom while Gilberto was on it, on a trainer. Another saddle was totally covered in temperature and pressure transducers. And that was just the start. This and other technologies exist, that can design the optmum saddle for an individual, but are not yet practical for the mass retail consumer. Until then, it would be nice if there were companies that rented out saddles to evaluate, at a reasonable cost. An orthopedic surgeon in our club, gave a talk, with X-RAYs & MRIs, about the tremedous variations in humans, in the area that contacts a saddle. There is a saddle out there that best suites you. Unfortunately, trial and error is too expensive and time consuming for most. Which leaves too many people with a compromise, although they might not even know it.