The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Remember - It's is ALWAYS a contraction of "It is".

Except when it's a contraction of "it has". But it's rarely been used
that way.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply)

Bill Sornson wrote on Saturday 10 December 2005 21:55:

> Brian Sanderson wrote:
>> Knit pick - nit pick
>>
>> Most Knit pickers should really get a life!

> So that makes you...the Fuzz Fuzz?!?

I'd say more like confused. Nit is a synonym of head-louse, and
nit-pickers have nothing to do with knitwear.
--
Regards
Alex

!

!

Bill "!" S.

Derailler - A device used to mace a (usually) runaway train to jump it's
tracks

Derailleur - A french word for a device fused to shift a (usually)
bicycle chain from one cog/sprocket to another.

- -
Compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site: http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me: ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Derailler - A device used to mace a (usually) runaway train to jump it's
tracks

Derailleur - A french word for a device used to shift a (usually)

Ken M said:
Colorado Bicycler wrote:
> Just for fun.
>
> The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:
>
> lose - loose - loss
>
> "I want to loose some weight."
>
> advice - advise
>
> "Please give me some advise on bicycling"
>
> a lot - alot
>
> "There were alot of bicyclers there."
>
> there - their - they're
>
> "There bikes were their because there always sure to lock they're
> bikes."
>
> You're - your
>
> "Your the best bicylist I now."
>
> Know - now (see above).
>
> Anyone else with some favorites?

Sometimes these are silly mistakes. The slip of the fingers on keys.
Sometimes people type to fast for their abilities. Sometimes it just
comes down to proof reading the post before posting. IMO.

Ken
--
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

The one that get's me is to, too or two.
As in:
There are too many to get two cookies. :D

Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:

> Derailleur - A french word for a device fused to shift a (usually)
> bicycle chain from one cog/sprocket to another.

But thats is an easy mistake, besides it's French.

Ken
--
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

"Alex Potter (59)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'd say more like confused. Nit is a synonym of head-louse,

O, geez. I REALLY hate to do this, but you're wrong.

The "nit" is the EGG of the head-louse.

I can't believe I did that...

Mark Hickey wrote:

> It's vs its

It could be worse. I saw its' -- I T S apostrophe -- used in a
Wikipedia article the other day. Someone changed it and the author
changed it back, insisting that it was right.

--
Paul Turner

Roger Houston wrote:
> "Alex Potter (59)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I'd say more like confused. Nit is a synonym of head-louse,

> O, geez. I REALLY hate to do this, but you're wrong.
>
> The "nit" is the EGG of the head-louse.
>
> I can't believe I did that...

Gives new -- or at least /extra/ -- meaning to the term "egg head". (And of
course, that was rather egg-headed about head eggs.)

<eg> Ewww. <eg>

Bill "assistant nit" S.

tomgaul wrote:

> The one that get's me is to, too or two.

"Get's"???

Sigh.

Roger Houston wrote on Saturday 10 December 2005 23:21:

> "Alex Potter (59)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I'd say more like confused. Nit is a synonym of head-louse,

> O, geez. I REALLY hate to do this, but you're wrong.
>
> The "nit" is the EGG of the head-louse.
>
> I can't believe I did that...

teaching Granddad? :)
--

Bill Sornson wrote:
> tomgaul wrote:
>
> > The one that get's me is to, too or two.

> "Get's"???
>
> Sigh.

This opens a whole new world of opportunity for the apostrophe
challenged!

goe's

hope's

love's

ride's

drive's

walk's

and, finally:

bicycle's

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:12:18 -0600, Patrick Lamb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>OB bikes:
>brake - break
>e.g., the breaks on my bike aren't working.
>(That should be a good thing, right?)

Of coarse yore wright.

Eye, four won, maid sum mistakes two butt ewe wood no it.
--
zk

"Colorado Bicycler" wrote: This opens a whole new world of opportunity for
the apostrophe challenged! (clip)

> goe's--This one's a definite reject.
>
> hope's--Hope's main benefit is that it makes the future brighter.
>
> love's--"Love's lavor lost."
>
> ride's--The ride's two main benefits were exercise and fresh air.
>
> drive's--The drive's lack of exercise and fresh air makes me want to
> return to the bike.
>
> walk's--A walk's slowness is both good and bad.
>
> and, finally:
>
> bicycle's--The bicycle's headset seemed to have a bearing problem.

American English is suffering from inflation. Many old words are not
good enough or maybe people don't know which form to invoke for the
meaning at hand, as we have seen from the offerings in this thread up
to now. Learning top read and write is out of fashion with as much
audio-video as we have at our fingertips. Writing the scripts
requires far fewer people to spend less time than if we all had to
learn the language.

More insidious is the use of "impact" that which occurs when objects
collide. Because most people have no idea when to use "who" and
"whom" (it is for them for 'who' the bell tolls) and whether this will
have an affect or effect on their lives. The words effect and affect
are no longer found in the media or elsewhere in public use. They
have been replaced by "impact".

In the traffic reports, roads are not blocked, "roadways" are blocked.
We don't have rain but "rainstorms", we don't ride bicycle by pushing
on cranks, we use "crankarms", cars don't crash into the median but do
so into "the center divide." Who comes up with this jargon?

When it comes to metaphors it gets worse. Among these, I recall when
uncle Remus used a carrot dangling from the end of a stick to
encourage his donkey to get underway as he sat on the bench in the
buckboard.

Today, in an automotive world, no one seems to visualize that ploy and
the metaphor that arose from it. Even though it is a logical and
reasonable visualization, the common use today places the carrot in
one hand and a stick in the other, never thinking how that
configuration might induce a draft animal to pull a wagon. Besides,
the image is so crude.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/41/messages/840.html

I guess punishment by beating with a stick is more convincing in
today's mentality than the lure of reward. I really meant "mindset."

Jobst Brandt

On that note, a few words in English could be banned from ones
vocabulary because they emasculate words and concepts when they are
used. Worst of these is "very" which maims adverbs or adjectives it
is meant to enhance. There are better words if a superlative is
needed. When running completely out of modifiers, "very very" comes
out to kill all.

Yu' know!

Another is "hopefully" because it weakens any position the author
takes by not expressing an opinion such as "I hope you will succeed"
but rather "you will succeed, hopefully." That way no one can accuse
the author of having taken a stand. "Hope" was left dangling on a
thread in the middle of the room like an orphaned mobile. Beyond
that, "hopefully" is usually tacked on at the end of the sentence as
so much gratuitous punctuation. Amen.

Jobst Brandt

Patrick Lamb wrote:
> OB bikes:
> brake - break
> e.g., the breaks on my bike aren't working.
> (That should be a good thing, right?)

I guess what you want to know is:

Did my breaks brake?

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
> Patrick Lamb wrote:
> > OB bikes:
> > brake - break
> > e.g., the breaks on my bike aren't working.
> > (That should be a good thing, right?)

> I guess what you want to know is:
>
> Did my breaks brake?

My my, so witty, I bet your friends think you're quite the wag.

Laters,

Marz