The most over-rated cyclists...

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by No_Positives, May 23, 2009.

1. mitosis

mitosis New Member

YOUr original post was an unjustified criticism of Cadel Evans - by suggesting that he was overrated. If it wasn't emotions you don't seem to have given any real reason for your post. His peers seem to have a respectful opinion of the man - I might suggest they are in a better position than you to judge.

Check out how many mountain biking "has-beens" are successful pro road racers.

If you want to see blind patriotism try writing something that hints at being critical about Lance Armstrong.

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Given Hinaults' recent scathing critisism of everything and everyone, I wonder what his thoughs were when Skippy melted into a blubbering idiot on the podium and burst into tears?

"awww monsieur Evans, let me rub your back and get you a le dummy to suck on..."

[​IMG]

3. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Hinault probably went home, ate a baby, blew up some badgers out in the paddock, went for a ride and smashed the local bunch, punched some papparazzi, had a warm cup of milk, kissed teddy, then went to bed and slept soundly.

4. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

With his national championship win, Pipo is officially off my "most over-rated list.

5. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

Yes, there are overrated athletes in every sport. Nothing new about that. Wins are everything and Cadel has none of significance.

6. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

First, my original post merely answered the OP's original question. If there is any thread that is opinionated it will be one of this nature, much like the "Who's your favorite cyclist" thread. I can't prove who the most overrated cyclist is, but it is always fun to spice things up on this board by criticizing (rightly) Cadel. With actual winners in your country (McEwen, O'Grady) I still don't fathom why Cadel rates such defensiveness, especially given his strange (to put it nicely) behavior and lack of agressiveness while racing (wheelsucking). In other words, it would be like all the American's on this board jumping up and down and calling people names if they criticize Tommy D. Just wouldn't make sense and I've never seen it happen. BTW the palmares of Tommy D and Cadel are pretty similar. No one ever did answer my questions from that previous post; they were serious, I really don't understand why australians are in love with Cadel.

His peers are in no better position to answer this question than I. It is a question directed at fans and not some scientific study that is peer reviewed.

Regarding MTB 'has beens', please name some truly successful ones that made the jump to top european pro road racing. Cadel and Landis did. Landis has only one semi-significant win (Paris-Nice) to his credit. They also look like crap when they ride because of the poor form they developed while riding those fat wheeled contraptions.

Regarding my comments about Lance, you obviously are either new to this board or ignored all my previous posts. A Lance fanboy, I am not.

7. Chavez

Chavez New Member

Wait, are you insinuating that a guy named "The Badger" is a bit of a prick? Aw, say it ain't so.....

8. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

Gees people have got you biteing hook line and sinker

9. No_Positives

No_Positives New Member

Quick update on the fellas.

Hincapie signed with BMC for next year. It must have been due his recent win against continental pros and Cat 2s in the US Pro Championships.

Cunego signed an extension for 2010 due to his stellar 2009. Why wouldn't Lampre want him back, seeing how competitive he was this year in the big events?

Sastre is resting after coming up just short in defense of his Tour win. Rumor has it he is upset with the Cervelo doctors and wants back on the Saxo program.

Millar's mug is on Cycling News everyday, as he is the chief blogger for the Vuelta. I'm not sure any cycling fans asked for this, but it's what we got. He did finish top 15 in the prologue, so expect a one-hour documentary on Versus soon.

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yaroslav Popovych :

Maybe not overrated as such – more like a rider who never really built on his potential.

I thought that this guy was really going to deliver at the very highest level but it seems that
    he was happier to work as domestique to Armstrong and then Evans.

11. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaaaaa.....

12. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

Boonen... sans cocaine is sadly lacking... somebody give that guy a fix...

13. Meek One

Meek One New Member

Yeah, I don't understand how they can EVER pick him or anyone over Cancellara in a TT...:confused:

14. mitosis

mitosis New Member

I know the worlds won't change his personality but can we take cadel out of this thread now?

15. camdyson

camdyson New Member

:d:d:d:d:d

16. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

NOPE!

no doubt about it... great and deserving win by Evans at the worlds but the last time i checked Evans was/is billed as a stage racer and in his chosen and designated and team supported position he has been found wanting.. win at the worlds changes none of that.

I could be wrong but i think this might be his first professional win and it's a big one no doubt, but even in the single day win column he's been found wanting..

17. heinkel12

heinkel12 New Member

His first professional win? It might be his first single day win but he has won a heap of stages in tours and has a few good overall wins in Pro tours.

18. Trev_S

Trev_S New Member

Aussie's love a winner, particularly the media and band wagon jumpers.
    Aussie's also love an underdog. More so if the underdog gets up for a win, without a win the underdog will fade from favour. If they don't then live up to expectation they quickly get placed into the 'has been' basket.

The above more relates to the band wagon as opposed to the ones that follow the sport (whatever their interested sport) to a greater depth.

19. VadarStrikesBack

VadarStrikesBack Well-Known Member

Empirical evidence would suggest this is an accurate reflection of reality on a daily basis.

20. mitosis

mitosis New Member

I didn't realise that your weren't allowed to win a one day race if the public sees you as a stage racer. That's probably why no one chased him at the worlds the other day. I'll pass it on to Cadel when I see him next, expect an apology.

Seconds and thirds in the big tours don't count much either. Don't know why he bothers.