The most over-rated cyclists...

Cycling using only one leg, all of the professionals would destroy the vast majority of posters on this thread in a race.

The OP's command of the english language is tenuous, at best, most of the time.

I think the question he tried to pose was along the lines of "which rider has not delivered on his talent".
I think.

limerickman said:
Cycling using only one leg, all of the professionals would destroy the vast majority of posters on this thread in a race.

The OP's command of the english language is tenuous, at best, most of the time.

I think the question he tried to pose was along the lines of "which rider has not delivered on his talent".
I think.

Of course it is hard to sift through and differentiate between what is talent and what is hype.

Tyler Farrar sure has been getting a lot of face time. I like the guy but I don't see him living up to hype. Granted, he has a broken wrist but still gets more hype than his record warrants, IMO.

No_Positives said:
4. George Hincapie - Not a climber, can' t TT, has a modest sprint. What the hell is he then? I guess good enough to have his own clothing line.
3. Carlos Sastre - He won the Tour against the weakest field in history. Big deal.
2. David Millar - Name one thing this guy has won while not on the juice. Yet every TT his name is brought up as a favorite.
1. Damiano Cunego - He sucks. Pure and simple. I don't like his tree-trunk-legs-on-small-body-physique either.

Others?
What's up with Paul Sherwen drinking the Cunego kool-aid? How many times do I have to hear that Cunego is going to win the sprint, just before Cunego finishes fourth?!?!

I actually think Cunego is really good, and if I had to bet on the stage where Casar beat Cunego in the sprint, I would have still bet on Cunego...

He didn't live up to his expectations after he won the Giro, but given all the other wins he's had I would say he's still one of the best racers in the ProTour.

Originally Posted by genedan .

I actually think Cunego is really good
Not only that, he is also one of the few 'clean' riders. He is a proven winner, a champion athlete in my books.

I may have to induct a new member into the over-rated club. Andy Schleck.

I hope he proves me wrong at the Tour, but he doesn't seem to be that good. Or at least as good as Phil and Paul think he is. Those guys foam at the mouth whenever Andy is on TV.
I don't buy into the "building form" nonsense either. You're either good or you're not. You can't turn it on or off. It must always be on. As much as I dislike Alpuerto, he always shows up and is determined to perform well, regardless of the race.

I have to agree with Tonyzackery's last post. I can't really say that any pro rider is over-rated since they are all doing what the majority of us are not nor ever will do. But if you want my two cents, then I will tell you the two that I dislike the most:
Cadel Evans (oh no! not another Cadel Evans basher!) I lost total respect for once I saw the video of him throwing a fit and getting all squeaky-voiced when a reporter touched him.
Taylor Phinney because every picture I have seen of him he has his nose up in the air and this stupid smirk on his face that just oozes this whole "I'm better than you and you will never be as good as me" attitude. Of course, he really is better than me and I will NEVER be as good as him, so I guess it's just the jealousy talking!

I think Andy schleck will be in amongst it in Jully. As for Evans, I dont think he is overated, he has won a few races in the last couple of years. Including worlds.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Positives 4. George Hincapie - Not a climber, can' t TT, has a modest sprint. What the hell is he then? I guess good enough to have his own clothing line.
3. Carlos Sastre - He won the Tour against the weakest field in history. Big deal.
2. David Millar - Name one thing this guy has won while not on the juice. Yet every TT his name is brought up as a favorite.
1. Damiano Cunego - He sucks. Pure and simple. I don't like his tree-trunk-legs-on-small-body-physique either.

Others?
Naturally I don't agree with several of the views expressed.

Any rider who wins a Giro and a couple of Giri di Lombardia, could not be classed as over rated.
Cunego's won these races.

Sastre?
The mans record in GT's is phenomenal. Consistent top 10 GT finisher.

Millar - when was Millar ever rated?????????????
I agree with limerickman. For some time now there is no doubt about the prevalance of doping in the peleton. What we are watching may not be competition where the contestants are equally equipped. In such an environment, I could not criticize any rider for lack of results, especially ones who have yet to test positive.
As fans of the sport, we all like to watch and talk of the races, and hope that we are watching a competition where no one has a real baseline edge. Otherwise, we would have to classify ourselves as time wasters and gullible fools. This is a pendulum that I ride, as a spectator. I don't know how you all see it. In any event I refuse to criticize a rider for lack of results.

GpLama. Everyone keeps ranting and raving about that him. But I think that bloke is totally overrated!

Burnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Not sure about over rated but if he loses to AC again he is well on his way to becoming Contador's ***** just as Ullrich became Armstrong's. At least in the perception of cycling fans

Don't really know if any pro cyclists are "over-rated" per se, but I know there are those that are media darlings and get more than I believe is their fair share of the media exposure.

If their results tracked closely with their media following, I probably wouldn't mind as much.

I know it's not necessarily the racer's fault for the over-exposure, but I get tired of hearing and reading about the same individuals - Millar, Farrar, Hincapie, Boonen...Are these the only racers that can put together a few words into a relatively coherent sentence? I don't think so...

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

Don't really know if any pro cyclists are "over-rated" per se, but I know there are those that are media darlings and get more than I believe is their fair share of the media exposure.

If their results tracked closely with their media following, I probably wouldn't mind as much.

I know it's not necessarily the racer's fault for the over-exposure, but I get tired of hearing and reading about the same individuals - Millar, Farrar, Hincapie, Boonen...Are these the only racers that can put together a few words into a relatively coherent sentence? I don't think so...
More like lazy cycling journalism.

The major selling cycling magazines in my part of the world are Cycle Sport and Pro Cycling. Seldom a couple of editions go by without either Cavendish or Wiggins being written about.
Before them it was Armstrong.
Of course these riders deserve coverage but in every single issue?

While Hincapie may not have had the career YOU think he should have had/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif, I think over-rated is a bit of a stretch, if not unduly harsh. He has won Kuerne-Brussels-Kuerne in 2005. He won Gent-Wevelgem in 2001. Now he may not have won any of the monuments but if you look at his palmares you will see quite an impressive record. He has also been a very reliable support rider for many years, ask any team leader how important that is. George is one damned fine professional

Cunego...I tend to agree with you somewhat, but he has won the Giro, which was no fluke. He really just never lived up to the hype given him, and that may be opne of the problems with many "over-rated" athletes. The hype is put upon them, often without them asking for it or benefitting from it. Yet the public buys into it and expects miracles....and then we have the nerve to denigrate them when they fail or result to "cheating."

I refuse to label someone over-rated until I have walked in their shoes, especially ANY professional cyclist.

Originally Posted by baj32161 .

While Hincapie may not have had the career YOU think he should have had/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif, I think over-rated is a bit of a stretch.
Maybe I'm biased too cause I'm also a Brooklyn guy who cut his teeth on the same roads and races as big George. Many owe their success to this big fella, just like another humble motor from the 80's and 90's, Sean Yates. Didn't win much himself either, but according to those he did help win, the most valuable man in the peleton.

There's a great line from Zabel in regards to Rolph Aldag... "I owe so much of my success to Rolph, You can say stuff like I'll never forget you for that, but you can never give it back". When one doesn't really understand this aspect of bike racing, one doesn't really understand bike racing.

The likes of Sean Yates and Hincapie and co not doubt helped their team leaders.

The question is whether or not they had the potential to win more races.

take a rider like Voigt : physically he was as strong as Ullrich and Kloden but he was happier working for his team leader.
Some rider prefer to work for other riders rather than having to sustain the team leadership.

Did I just see yesterdays TDF stage correctly? Hincapie opens the finishing climb with an absolutely blistering pace to help launch Cadel to victory up the mur...
One or two of you must have been cringing on yer couches. Oh the irony /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif