The Mountains of Scotland - new website

Nick (Scots) wrote:

> My FUGAWI digital maps are 'contour data' poor.

Anquet & Memory Map are way better.

Paul

Nick (Scots) wrote:
> > The sheep is non-negotiable. Firstly, it's an established symbol for
> > my original website (The Mountains of England and Wales), which has
> > been around now for 5 years, with sheep - I wanted to retain the same
> > look and feel for the Scotland site. Secondly, my daughter drew the
> > sheep, so it stays.

> Okay, but it ain't scottish, so howabout a tartan fleece !

I'm no farmer, but what makes you think the sheep ain't Scottish? It's
not as if they're rare north of the border!

druidh

Nick (Scots) wrote:

>> Besides, how many people actually follow the GOTO arrow to the
>> actual grid ref?

> Well I do. If I'm in cloud and want to descend to a certain point eg
> a bealach to then descend and handrail a stream, then I put the grid
> ref, 6 figs into my Geko, of the bealach
> after using the side of the compass to measure/divide the grid box
> into 10 (1;25k). I goto that point, checking the ht as well. I can then
> backup any
> bearing and mapwork. I have used this twice 'for real' in winter
> whiteouts to backup descending.

Not sure if I follow this correctly. Are you saying that you input an
inaccurate (6 figures) grid ref, walk to that spot, then use map and compass
to navigate to your bealach? Why not just mark a 10 figure grid ref for
your bealach once you're there?

>> Who knows, if Egnos ever gets up and running, we should get even
>> better accuracy.

> WAAS

No, EGNOS, WAAS are the American satellites, we don't get those here, it's
just labelled that in the GPS. Same thing though effectively.
http://www.environmental-studies.de/Precision_Farming/EGNOS_WAAS__E/3E.html

> - I got one waas sattelite the other day with my new Etrex Camo
> (lost my geko) It's down to 3m I think.

Really? I haven't picked up any yet. Just went outside to try and got
nothing.

> DGPS has a signal emanating
> fom the Forth estuary, I think.

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/deployment/EGNOS_deployment_map.htm

So is EGNOS finally working then? How many satellites? Anyone know for
sure?

And if it is, why haven't I picked any up yet?

Paul

Nick (Scots) wrote:

>> The sheep is non-negotiable. Firstly, it's an established symbol for
>> my original website (The Mountains of England and Wales),

Of course, you must keep your company logo, Simon! Logos do get redesigned
over the years though, to keep in with the style and fashion of the times.

>> Secondly, my daughter drew the
>> sheep, so it stays.

Could she draw another one?

> Okay, but it ain't scottish, so howabout a tartan fleece !

They don't have sheep in Scotland?

Paul

Paul wrote:
> Of course, you must keep your company logo, Simon! Logos do get redesigned
> over the years though, to keep in with the style and fashion of the times.

>> ..my daughter drew the sheep

>Could she draw another one?

Perhaps, though she is now 15, so it may acquire a bit of a gothic
theme.
Or I could employ a marketing agency to come up with something, pay
them several million, then revert back to the sheep anyway.

Simon

Simon Edwardes wrote:

> Perhaps, though she is now 15, so it may acquire a bit of a gothic
> theme.

Cool. The black mountain sheep!

> Or I could employ a marketing agency to come up with something, pay
> them several million, then revert back to the sheep anyway.

How about a power theme? Maybe flying sheep, or radioactive sheep?

Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
<[email protected]> writes

>http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/deployment/EGNOS_deployment_map.htm
>
>So is EGNOS finally working then?

It is in its initial operating phase. From:

http://ravel.esrin.esa.it/docs/egnos/estb/egnos_pro.htm

* The signal broadcast by the EGNOS satellites ARTEMIS (PRN 124)
and IOR-W (PRN 126) is used for EGNOS Initial Operations.
* The ESTB ( Egnos System Test Bed) signal is broadcast by the
Satellite Inmarsat AOR-E (PRN120)

PRN 120 = Garmin #33
PRN 124 = Garmin #37
PRN 126 = Garmin #39

> Anyone know for
>sure?

The ESA!

>And if it is, why haven't I picked any up yet?

Don't know. Turn it on and give it ten minutes or so and you should see
sat 33 with a hollow bar and D appearing by the bars for the satellites
with corrections.

The hollow bar for 33 means it is not being used for 'ranging' i.e. like
normal GPS satellites. This will probably be enabled in the future so
that not only do you get corrections for the normal satellites but also
you get an extra satellite or two.

--

Dominic Sexton

>> Perhaps, though she is now 15, so it may acquire a bit of a gothic
>> theme.

>Cool. The black mountain sheep!

....looking moody, and not able to see anything through its fringe.

>> Or I could employ a marketing agency to come up with something, pay
>> them several million, then revert back to the sheep anyway.

>How about a power theme? Maybe flying sheep, or radioactive sheep?

....or a huge wind turbine strapped to its back.

Simon

> Not sure if I follow this correctly. Are you saying that you input an inaccurate (6
> figures) grid ref, walk to that spot, then use map and compass to navigate to your
> bealach? Why not just mark a 10 figure grid ref for your bealach once you're there?

My gps 'backs up' my map & compass work. Navigate using map and compass
and check that with the GPS. I never load up waypoints but add them as I need to.

> And if it is, why haven't I picked any up yet?

Is your unit WAAS ready ?

Have you downloaded the latest firmware ?

Nick

> I'm no farmer, but what makes you think the sheep ain't Scottish? It's
> not as if they're rare north of the border!

When I'min my hills (scotland) sheep is not the frist image I see.

Nick

Nick (Scots) wrote:

>>> My FUGAWI digital maps are 'contour data' poor.

>> Anquet & Memory Map are way better.

> In what way ?

Better height data. Not contours as such, it's a height grid. Way more
accurate than Fugawi, and they produce very good 3D views, especially with
the aerial photo mapping.

See the animations on the main page;
http://www.anquet.co.uk/

Can't see any examples with Memory Map though.
http://www.memory-map.co.uk

You can download working demos of both with small sample areas. Worth a
look.

Paul

> My gps 'backs up' my map & compass work. Navigate using map and
> compass and check that with the GPS. I never load up waypoints but add
> them
> as I need to.

I see. Loading up waypoints in advance can save you a lot of time and
hassle though, unless you actually want to do the compass work.

>> And if it is, why haven't I picked any up yet?

> Is your unit WAAS ready ?

Yep.

> Have you downloaded the latest firmware ?

Nope. I wondered whether that might affect it.

Paul

Dominic Sexton wrote:

> * The signal broadcast by the EGNOS satellites ARTEMIS (PRN 124)
> and IOR-W (PRN 126) is used for EGNOS Initial Operations.
> * The ESTB ( Egnos System Test Bed) signal is broadcast by the
> Satellite Inmarsat AOR-E (PRN120)
>
> PRN 120 = Garmin #33
> PRN 124 = Garmin #37
> PRN 126 = Garmin #39

>> And if it is, why haven't I picked any up yet?

> Don't know. Turn it on and give it ten minutes or so and you should
> see sat 33 with a hollow bar and D appearing by the bars for the
> satellites with corrections.

Nope, nothing. Was out for a few hours this afternoon with a clear view to
the south and never picked one up.

So only sat 33 is working at the moment?

Apparently it's at 194 degrees azimuth, 30 degrees altitude from me, so I
should have no trouble seeing it.
http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/inmar3f2.html

Paul

The message <[email protected]>
from "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> So is EGNOS finally working then? How many satellites? Anyone know for
> sure?

> And if it is, why haven't I picked any up yet?

WAAS turned off?

--
Roger Chapman

Roger wrote:

>> And if it is, why haven't I picked any up yet?

> WAAS turned off?

I knew someone was going to suggest that!

No, I checked and double checked that. I've just installed the update, I'll
try again shortly.

Paul

Nick (Scots) wrote:
> "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Nick (Scots) wrote:
>>

>>>My FUGAWI digital maps are 'contour data' poor.

>>Anquet & Memory Map are way better.

> In what way ?

IIRC the contour data used by Anquet and Memory Map (and, I believe,
Tracklogs) is more accurate than that used by Fugawi.

druidh

The message <[email protected]>
from "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> > In what way ?

> Better height data. Not contours as such, it's a height grid. Way more
> accurate than Fugawi, and they produce very good 3D views, especially with
> the aerial photo mapping.

It certainly was in version 1 but I think it might have been improved in
version 2. I have Fugawi v2 and while I don't usually use the 3D feature
I can't recall it being obviously inferior. However there is nothing in
the documentation I have to say what the height definition is.

--
Roger Chapman

> It certainly was in version 1 but I think it might have been improved in
> version 2. I have Fugawi v2 and while I don't usually use the 3D feature
> I can't recall it being obviously inferior. However there is nothing in
> the documentation I have to say what the height definition is.

I have the 'Fugawi_3.2.0.881_ukupdate' and it's seems to be more accurate.
I redrew the same route with the update and it wass less 'jagged' in the profile.

My brothers Mem Map won't accept a usb port connection.

Nick

"Simon Edwardes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you who have visited my website "The Mountains of England and
> Wales", you may be interested to know I have set up a similar website
> for Scottish mountains (see links below).
> The Mountains of England and Wales:
> http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/
> The Mountains of Scotland:
> http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/Scotland/Scotland.php

Wonderful, thank you very much for all your efforts.

> You can register (free) a username on the site, and log your Munro,
> Marilyn and County Top bagging exploits, and see the results against
> map backgrounds.

Ooh, now there's an idea! Could be an easy way to keep track of my efforts.

Nick