the mystic places marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dave Jones, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Dave Jones

    Dave Jones Guest

    i have been searching for a fall marathon to run here in
    the new england area and yesterday i found one. it is
    called the mystic places marathon to be held here in mystic
    ct on oct 24. now i am not familar with this particular
    marathon. therefore would greatly appreicate opinions and
    comments about this race by those who have ever ran in it.
    thanks dave

    Tags:

  2. Hicow

    Hicow Guest

    I'm not familiar with this particular race but there's a
    good marathon and half-marathon in Portland, Maine a few
    weeks earlier. It's a well organized and scenic race.

    "dave jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:JPidnYEz_sqltuHdRVn-
    [email protected]
    > i have been searching for a fall marathon to run here in
    > the new england area and yesterday i found one. it is
    > called the mystic places marathon to be held here in
    > mystic ct on oct 24. now i am not familar with this
    > particular marathon. therefore would greatly appreicate
    > opinions and comments about this race by those who have
    > ever ran in it. thanks dave

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Dave,

    It is a very nice marathon in a picturesque setting. It is
    well run, although much is on roads closed to traffic that
    are inaccessible to the public so often you run with no
    crowd support. It is right on the Long Island Sound and it
    can be quite cold and windy. The parking at the start is
    somewhat limited and as race time approaches they close
    traffic on the nearest I95 exit so plan on getting there
    early. I plan on running Steamtown but may do Mystic as a
    member of a relay.

    Bob

    "dave jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:JPidnYEz_sqltuHdRVn-
    [email protected]
    > i have been searching for a fall marathon to run here in
    > the new england area and yesterday i found one. it is
    > called the mystic places marathon to be held here in
    > mystic ct on oct 24. now i am not familar with this
    > particular marathon. therefore would greatly appreicate
    > opinions and comments about this race by those who have
    > ever ran in it. thanks dave

  4. Grant65582

    Grant65582 Guest

    I ran Mystic Places a few years ago.

    It seems like a fast course. There's a hill at mile 15
    that's a bit troublesome, but otherwise fast. I ran poorly
    because of an unexplained calf cramp, but nonetheless
    survived to qualify for Boston.

    It's kinda small as (hundreds?) and the parking/access
    to the starting line is a bitch. Perhaps they've
    improved it by now.

    The scenery is quite nice, if you're into that as much of
    the race has views toward the ocean.

    All told, were I given the choice between Hartford and
    Mystic Places (they're about the same time) I'd pick
    Hartford simply because the Hartford course and organization
    is far superior.