the nay sayer wants cash

wackydeirdre

Mar 12, 2005
At dinner this evening I was talking about how I want to begin racing. My daughter piped in "If you are going to go out there and race, you'd better come back with some money". Her older sister didn't think that was a bad idea. I'd never realy thought of racing for any other reasons than the pure fun of it and geting to know new people. I still am very ignorant regarding racing. Are there any races actually out there with cash prizes?

Around here at least there aren't always cash prizes for the lower catagories or if there is a prize it might cover most of the fee to enter if you are lucky. Often there are mechandise prizes like powerbars or blinky lights or water bottles. I think even if you ask a pro the cash prizes aren't exactly substantial - you couldn't really make much of a living just by winning bike races - that's what sponsors are for :p
That said a few races in the area do have some OK cash associated with them. One is a hillclimb with a $1000 prize if you are the fastest person to the top under a certain time threshold - the caveat- no one has managed to get in under that time so far.

Yes .... challenge someone that does not expect you to be a strong rider and bet some money on it!!

Gambling might be a wayb ....

Eden said:
Around here at least there aren't always cash prizes for the lower catagories or if there is a prize it might cover most of the fee to enter if you are lucky. Often there are mechandise prizes like powerbars or blinky lights or water bottles. I think even if you ask a pro the cash prizes aren't exactly substantial - you couldn't really make much of a living just by winning bike races - that's what sponsors are for :p
That said a few races in the area do have some OK cash associated with them. One is a hillclimb with a $1000 prize if you are the fastest person to the top under a certain time threshold - the caveat- no one has managed to get in under that time so far.
Guess I'll keep quiet about it and hope to get good enough to do a wheaties commercial. I eat the things every morning for breakfast. I want someone to get as tired of looking at me on the box as my kids are of the present baseball figure.:D

wackydeirdre said:
At dinner this evening I was talking about how I want to begin racing. My daughter piped in "If you are going to go out there and race, you'd better come back with some money". Her older sister didn't think that was a bad idea. I'd never realy thought of racing for any other reasons than the pure fun of it and geting to know new people. I still am very ignorant regarding racing. Are there any races actually out there with cash prizes?
many USCF races offer cash prizes. the race series I promote (an low key but USCF-permitted training series) gave out $9000 cash in 6 days of racing as well as about 2000 lbs of PowerBar drink mix, Olbas stuff, about $600 in gift certs to a local shop, and trophies. we've given away other things like framesets, high end wheels, and one year electronic goodies (XBOX, MP3 player, digi cam, etc).

however, I don't think many people race for money at the hobby level. to make back the $3000-5000 you spend on a bike, maybe $1000-2000 on entry fees a year, gas, food, tires, clothing and other gear, time to train... well my best year I got about $200 in prize money. lol. so you get to buy gas or food on the way home. that's about it.

for us mortals racing is about having fun.

a friend of mine is a top level woman racer (raced at the Elite level this year, did First Union, etc) and she got nothing but some entry fees and one jersey and one pair of shorts. and I wondered why she didn't train in her sponsors colors. she bought her own bike and paid her own way to races. and she had to compete against the top women in the world.

carpediemracing said:
many USCF races offer cash prizes. the race series I promote (an low key but USCF-permitted training series) gave out $9000 cash in 6 days of racing as well as about 2000 lbs of PowerBar drink mix, Olbas stuff, about $600 in gift certs to a local shop, and trophies. we've given away other things like framesets, high end wheels, and one year electronic goodies (XBOX, MP3 player, digi cam, etc).

however, I don't think many people race for money at the hobby level. to make back the $3000-5000 you spend on a bike, maybe $1000-2000 on entry fees a year, gas, food, tires, clothing and other gear, time to train... well my best year I got about $200 in prize money. lol. so you get to buy gas or food on the way home. that's about it.

for us mortals racing is about having fun.

a friend of mine is a top level woman racer (raced at the Elite level this year, did First Union, etc) and she got nothing but some entry fees and one jersey and one pair of shorts. and I wondered why she didn't train in her sponsors colors. she bought her own bike and paid her own way to races. and she had to compete against the top women in the world.
Thanks, I see cycling as purely for fun also and never even considered any type of possible prize aside from maybe a medal or trophy myself. Those were the prizes I got for Irish dancing when I was a kid. I always felt I would be extremely proud to come home with one or the other for cycling. My daughters were the ones who sparked me to ask the question. I will feel guilty enough just taking off to have my own fun when I could otherwise be doing something with them. I might feel a little better and possibly work a lot harder if I knew there were something at the end to make my kids a little happier about my racing. At least my teenagers who, lets face facts, the "me generation" is far from over. My twin sons would be extremely excited just to see me cross the finish line no matter what place I fell into. The boys were fortunate enough to never have their father as a part of their memories as they have been growing up aside from their unfortunate visitation encounters which, thank God they no longer have to endure. I only had to attempt to "encourage" them to visit with their father. I tried and cannot "encourage" them. Lets face it though, I've worked hard at raising them and done a very good job of it all on my own. It's high time I did solely for myself, right? I've found my niche and I want to become very involved in something I really enjoy.
As much as I would like to race, it sounds as if admissions are insane. I guess I'll just stick to charity rides. I was going to do the Guide dog Foundation ride this Sunday but my son told me there is a heritage festival that day. We attend the heritage festival every year and I cant let the kids down on this one.
Admission fees for racing are insane! I suppose I'll be sticking to charity rides which is not a bad thing and I am more likeky to get a slower yet more thorough education. There should be plenty of other benefit rides before winter I'm sure. I'll just skip this one I guess.

I've never won a race and always came in close to being last, but never actually last. That felt great. Knowing that I actually beat someone to the finish line. It's an amazing feeling. Take your kiddies along when/if you do give it a go and you'll like it even more when you see them egging you on. The Nay Sayer might actually realize what it's all about when she see's the smile on your face.

shannons dad said:
I've never won a race and always came in close to being last, but never actually last. That felt great. Knowing that I actually beat someone to the finish line. It's an amazing feeling. Take your kiddies along when/if you do give it a go and you'll like it even more when you see them egging you on. The Nay Sayer might actually realize what it's all about when she see's the smile on your face.
Excellent idea! I'll definetly do that. Who knows? she might find a new type of appreciation for me in general. How expensive are the races to get into, really? Do I actually have to drop a grand to enter a race? Lets face it, it is all about fun right?

wackydeirdre said:
Do I actually have to drop a grand to enter a race? Lets face it, it is all about fun right?
Good grief no - I think about the most you would have to spend would be about $45, that would include the entry fee for the race (usually about $20 - $35), a one day USCF racing license if you need it, ($10) and a rental number ($5 - usually refundable if you return the number).

Eden said:
Good grief no - I think about the most you would have to spend would be about $45, that would include the entry fee for the race (usually about $20 - $35), a one day USCF racing license if you need it, ($10) and a rental number ($5 - usually refundable if you return the number).

Whew! that's really a good thing to know. I thought I only was going to be doing charity rides. I must have musunderstood someone. Thanks!

wackydeirdre said:
Whew! that's really a good thing to know. I thought I only was going to be doing charity rides. I must have musunderstood someone. Thanks!
Someone up above was talking about a total of about $1000 - $2000 per year as about what he spends to race, I think. I would guess if you itemize it - gear, gas, entry fees, food while your out - it probably gets scary how much you can spend, but if you view it as part of your entertainment budget........ and it's healthy too- less than paying for a health club

Dont get me started with the uselesness of health clubs ....

In the words of Ah-nold The Governator = "Push ups are free!"

Eden said:
Someone up above was talking about a total of about $1000 - $2000 per year as about what he spends to race, I think. I would guess if you itemize it - gear, gas, entry fees, food while your out - it probably gets scary how much you can spend, but if you view it as part of your entertainment budget........ and it's healthy too- less than paying for a health club
yes I was talking about total costs for a year, not just one race. my bad for not being specific.

A single race will typically cost up to $30 plus a license (one day license $10, annual $50). The $1000-2000 is to do 30-50 races a year plus gas, food, tolls, worn equipment, etc. Come to think of it that figure is probably low.

I tried to post earlier but my post somehow disappeared between hitting submit and the actual forum :(

huhenio said:
Dont get me started with the uselesness of health clubs ....

In the words of Ah-nold The Governator = "Push ups are free!"
I got a phone call yesterday telling me I had "won a free one month membership to a health club" I figured what the heck, I'll check it out, whats the harm? Increadibly, I was thinking the exact same thing and I never even heard Arnold say that. The exercise class was so lame they had us doing push ups while leaning on a medicine ball. WOW!! what a challenge!:rolleyes:

wackydeirdre said:
Try it - You'll like it. Bike racing is very addictive...

EoinC said:
Try it - You'll like it. Bike racing is very addictive...
It's what I've been training for and if it's half as addictive as the training has been I'm sure I'll enjoy it! I may wait until spring for my first race unless I find one soon. I'd at least like to try one before winter to give me the bug. In spring I will all the more opt for lighter tires. Also, It will get me to work much harder on the trainer over the winter rather than getting bored with it.

wackydeirdre said:
It's what I've been training for and if it's half as addictive as the training has been I'm sure I'll enjoy it! I may wait until spring for my first race unless I find one soon. I'd at least like to try one before winter to give me the bug. In spring I will all the more opt for lighter tires. Also, It will get me to work much harder on the trainer over the winter rather than getting bored with it.
Never mind the trainer. Get out there in the wind, sleet, rain, snow, fog and blizzards. It'll toughen you up. I don't do it myself like, but I'm a wuss.:D

shannons dad said:
Never mind the trainer. Get out there in the wind, sleet, rain, snow, fog and blizzards. It'll toughen you up. I don't do it myself like, but I'm a wuss.:D
I'm not a wuss either, but I do have asthma.:( Last winter I was out in all kinds of weather and even found it was a lot of fun :D until the weather turned a little too cold for my lungs in late December/early Jan. and I ended up in bed sucking on a nebulizer for two weeks.:mad: I couldn't have gone much longer anyhow since we began getting snow and the town put so much sand on the street I only could have used a mountain bike if I wanted to continue. I soon after became a little more knowledgable about bikes:) and learned the bad weather, sand etc are really no good for bikes. It seems really dumb to me that I didn't know that before, It's such a no brainer.:confused: Anyhow, given my asthma/limited cash flow for constant repairs, a trainer is going to have to do this winter. Of course, if I can find a proper cover for my nose & mouth and learn more about keeping my bike in shape on my own (I purchased Bicycling magazines Bicycle Maintenance and repair recently) I'll brave the storms and take out my daughters mountain bike once the streets become ridiculous. Who knows? the additional weight of the mountain bike through the sand and unsavory weather may even be an asset to training. It's such a trip to ride when it's snowing!:D I was going to get another ear cover and wear it backward so it would cover my nose & mouth before my attack last year. Too little, too late. Sort of like when I was looking for a good pair of gloves and fell off my bike when some idiot nearly hit me with his/her doggie haircut van just before I bought them. Anyway, thanks and sorry for being so long winded!
PS say hi to Shannon! Find any cookies in her nappies lately?

carpediemracing said:
yes I was talking about total costs for a year, not just one race. my bad for not being specific.

A single race will typically cost up to $30 plus a license (one day license $10, annual $50). The $1000-2000 is to do 30-50 races a year plus gas, food, tolls, worn equipment, etc. Come to think of it that figure is probably low.

I tried to post earlier but my post somehow disappeared between hitting submit and the actual forum :(
It's still a lot but it's far more easy to swallow if you figure it as expenditure over a year.