The Neanderthals: More Intelligent than Mountain Bikers!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. At 11:06 AM 9/21/03 -0400, a very smart friend wrote:

    In a message dated 9/21/03 7:27:40 AM, [email protected] writes:

    << Why do people go into mountain biking to begin with? >>

    .Easy. Their brains are small.

    I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_). Even THEY had bigger
    brains than mountain bikers. :)
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    I'd be happy to help create a wildlife habitat Mike. What I'll do is bring a few friends with picks and shovels and make some tracks, killing any pesky wildlife that gets in our way. Then my neanderthal friends and I can make truly good use of this area. I'm all for the off-limits to humans clause as we will be less likely to hit a hiker that way.

    Cheers,
    A mountain biker

  3. Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> scrawled>
    > .Easy. Their brains are small.
    >
    > I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_). Even THEY had bigger
    > brains than mountain bikers. :)
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?

  4. Lefty

    Lefty Guest

    Chris Glidden wrote:

    > Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> scrawled>
    >> .Easy. Their brains are small.
    >>
    >> I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_). Even THEY had
    >> bigger brains than mountain bikers. :)
    >> ===
    >> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    >> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >>
    >> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
    >
    > Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?

    see the controversy surrounding "the blank slate"

    basically there is a political struggle worthy of a vandeman surrounding questions of (heritable)
    brain structure. the mass/size thing goes with the old idea that brains are raw material shaped by
    environment and culture.

    it would be interesting to know what kind of folks neanderthals were, but i don't think we will ...
    unless we manage to meet one.

  5. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:27:29 GMT, lefty <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Chris Glidden wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> scrawled>
    >>> .Easy. Their brains are small.
    >>>
    >>> I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_). Even THEY had
    >>> bigger brains than mountain bikers. :)
    >>> ===
    >>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    >>> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >>>
    >>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
    >>
    >> Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?
    >
    >see the controversy surrounding "the blank slate"
    >
    >basically there is a political struggle worthy of a vandeman surrounding questions of (heritable)
    >brain structure. the mass/size thing goes with the old idea that brains are raw material shaped by
    >environment and culture.
    >
    >it would be interesting to know what kind of folks neanderthals were, but i don't think we will ...
    >unless we manage to meet one.

    we already have one here, thanks anyway...

  6. On 22 Sep 2003 10:52:02 -0700, [email protected] (Chris Glidden) wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> scrawled> .> .Easy. Their brains are small. .> .> I've just
    been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_). .> Even THEY had bigger brains
    than mountain bikers. :) .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence
    and road construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .Since when is brain mass/size
    indicative of intelligence?

    Since the beginning of evolution.
    ===

  7. On 22 Sep 2003 10:52:02 -0700, [email protected] (Chris Glidden) wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> scrawled> .> .Easy. Their brains are small. .> .> I've just
    been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_). .> Even THEY had bigger brains
    than mountain bikers. :) .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence
    and road construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .Since when is brain mass/size
    indicative of intelligence?

    I'm glad to see that you admit it.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  8. "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On 22 Sep 2003 10:52:02 -0700, [email protected] (Chris Glidden) wrote:
    >
    > .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> scrawled> .> .Easy. Their brains are small. .> .> I've just
    > been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's
    Necklace_).
    > .> Even THEY had bigger brains than mountain bikers. :) .> === .> I am working on creating
    > wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
    > previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> .>
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?
    >
    > Since the beginning of evolution.
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    I guess that explains why elephants are the dominant species on the planet.