The Never-Ending Wide Road Shoe Search

doctorold

Dec 14, 2010
North Carolina
So I have been looking for shoes for my wide feet, size 13 (us). I am currently wearing a Lake shoe in a wide width (that they don't make anymore and it's kinda cheap anyway). The list I have tried includes Northwave, Bont, Giro HV. I DID try a Sidi Mega and it was WAY too big. Couldn't even tighten it fully because the strap ran out and the sides of the shoe were overlapping on the tongue. Any suggestions on a shoe that may run wider than normal or comes in a wide width would be appreciated. I saw that Specialized has some wide shoes but I can't find them anywhere. Going to an LBS is not a good option as most don't carry any selection.

It might be a dumb idea but when I tried on 2 different brands of Tri shoes they felt like they had more width room in them. I can't remember what brands but I do remember them having the feel of more girth.

It might be worth your time to travel to an LBS that has more shoes. FWIW, I was in your position needing a wider shoe, and I also found the Sidi Mega fit wonky at best. To get the right toe box volume required a Sidi Mega that was in reality too big. I ended up in a pair of Specialized S-Works that are perfecto.

I have tried to find the Specialized and no one carries the wide version in their stores. And frankly, they're hard to find online. If you do, they say "not allowed to ship. Must be in-store pickup"

There's about five Performance stores in N.C. plus the mail order option. My local Performance store has a good selection of shoes.

No love?

Quote: Originally Posted by doctorold .
I have tried to find the Specialized and no one carries the wide version in their stores. And frankly, they're hard to find online. If you do, they say "not allowed to ship. Must be in-store pickup"

Specialized products are only sold by authorized dealers, or by Specialized itself. Same with Trek. A dealer with an online store can allow you to order something online, but you have to pick it up at the shop. For clothing, shoes, helmets, etc. if you know your size, and a dealer isn't convenient, ordering from Specialized itself may be easier. You save any state sales tax, but pay shipping. It usually balances out, and most dealers won't discount anything-Specialized unless they're closing out old stock. Except for the bikes.

Here's the latest. Talked with a guy at well-known online retailer and he suggested the Sidi Wires. Said they tended to run wider and fit non-conforming feet. Way expensive but he was able to offer me a sale price. Got them today. Oh my! They fit. But the price is still more than I want to spend. I also had to traverse away from my home today and stop in the local metropolis where they have one LBS that carries Specialize. Tried several pair, some in standard and some in wide widths. Think I may have something. The S-works shoe was amazing. Very light and fit like a glove. But $400 is out there. The Pro Road model comes in wide. They only had standard width that weren't that narrow so they are ordering a pair of wides for me to try. Still pricey but not like the Sidi or the S-Works. I'm getting close! If the specialized come in and work then they will be the ones and I will send the Sidis back (besides, my wife says the white and red sidis are ugly....lol). I could bite the big bullet and go with the S-works and hope I can get several years out of them. That would justify the price.

The new (2013) Shimano shoes made on their new Dynalast last might be worth a peek. In my estimation, forefoot width is about D+. Prices start at around $130. The two more expensive models are also available in wide. Don't confuse with shoes made on the older, narrower Performance last.

oldbobcat said:
The new (2013) Shimano shoes made on their new Dynalast last might be worth a peek. In my estimation, forefoot width is about D+. Prices start at around $130. The two more expensive models are also available in wide. Don't confuse with shoes made on the older, narrower Performance last.
When I had to replace a pair of Shimano shoes, they were the first brand I tried. Unfortunately, the last had apparently changed, and I couldn't find a shoe with enough toe-box volume and width to accommodate my feet. So, I ended up eventually with Specialized, which was sub-optimal as I'd be completely chuffed with my previous Shimano shoes.