The New BBs

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nelson Binch, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    I got my hands on both the new XT and Saint 2 pc bottom bracket/cranksets at a recent Shimano Dealer
    show in Greensboro. Impressive. I do like the bearing arrangement on them. On the technical side I
    only gripe that the system requires chasing and facing the BB shell on the first installation. Just
    seems like the system should be just slightly more robust and forgiving than that. Really not a
    problem, just a minor gripe.

    On the personal side, I'm not switching just yet. I still like the 5 bolt
    110/74 cranks and I'll probably use that until my XTR square taper BB wears out. What I will not do
    right now is upgrade from my black LX cranks to RaceFace, considering a major change is in
    process now and I'll just skip the ISIS/Octallink crap altogether.

    ---
    International Bicycle 5326 E Independence Blvd Charlotte, NC 28212 http://intbike.com 704 535-5501

    Release Date: 2/11/04

    Tags:

  2. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I got my hands on both the new XT and Saint 2 pc bottom bracket/cranksets
    at
    > a recent Shimano Dealer show in Greensboro. Impressive. I do like the bearing arrangement on them.
    > On the technical side I only gripe that the system requires chasing and facing the BB shell on the
    > first installation. Just seems like the system should be just slightly more robust and
    forgiving
    > than that. Really not a problem, just a minor gripe.
    >
    > On the personal side, I'm not switching just yet. I still like the 5 bolt
    > 110/74 cranks and I'll probably use that until my XTR square taper BB
    wears
    > out. What I will not do right now is upgrade from my black LX cranks to RaceFace, considering a
    > major change is in process now and I'll just skip the ISIS/Octallink crap altogether.

    About these new bottom brackets... What is piss poor is that these new cranks only give one choice
    of chainline and it's the widest (50mm). That sucks. As if mtn bike chainlines weren't poor enough
    at 47.5mm.

    What did you think of the Saint stuff? It's unreal how seamingly over-engineered it is (to
    an XC guy).

    Dave