The new guy needs some help...

budge311

Mar 13, 2003
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have been biking for about 7 months and I just turned twenty. I also have a background in track and cross country. I feel like I'm lost when it comes to training. How fast should my regular rides be? How long? How fast should my long rides be? How long? How do I do speedwork? Will weight training help? How much how little? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. By the way great messageboard.

a lot of these questions have been covered in a lot of detail before so i'd suggest you do a quick search of the training threads for anything on weight training, heart rate training and base training

then if you have questions fire away!!!

also get a heart rate monitor its the best way to measure training

also get a heart rate monitor its the best way to measure training

HRM's would now be classified as the most economical means of measuring training.

Exercise physiologists are now agreeing that power meters (SRM, Powertap, Polar, etc) provide the best feedback but they cost the equivalent of a new bike to purchase.

Heart rates are delayed in relation to effort and can vary (as some posters have learned) without affecting perceived effort.

Typo edit :)

There's some really good books out there. The Lance Armstrong one is good for starters, there's also one by Davis Phinney and Connie Carpenter, that I can't think of the name of.

Be aware that a lot of them go on a lot about heart rate monitors. It's worth getting one - you really don't need an expensive one if money is tight. For training, the most important thing you're interested in is current heart rate. But make sure you get a handlebar mount for it.

budge311 said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have been biking for about 7 months and I just turned twenty. I also have a background in track and cross country. I feel like I'm lost when it comes to training. How fast should my regular rides be? How long? How fast should my long rides be? How long? How do I do speedwork? Will weight training help? How much how little? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. By the way great messageboard.
I'm fairly new to this myself but the scoop is RPM (rounds per minute) are more important than mph where training and cardio vascular workout are concerned. You need to get yourself a cyclometer with cadance on it. I have a wired one and they are a bit contrary. I would recommend a wireless. They cost more but you don't need to worry about the wires getting out of place, etc. I can't help you with weight training but I have a Pilates DVD and find it's a good supplement to cycling. How about joining a gym if you have the bucks? If you spend a little time with one of the personal trainers and tell them exactly what you want from your workout I hear they are a great deal of help. Good luck!