Road Cycling · Public discussion

The next battle of the clipless

Started by MarkR · · Last activity · 5 posts · 407 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 June 2004
Last activity
1 June 2004
Original author
MarkR
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
407
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I went out today with a friend for what I thought would be an easy day to
    get used to the clipless. We rode in this strange area near our houses.
    Right in the middle of a rural residential area is an old mining area known
    as Logan Cut or "the cuts" of about 8000 acres.

    It's an area everyone knows about but none of my friends or acquantances
    have been in. As mentioned, it's an historic hydrolically mined area.

    Well, it turned out to be the most tecnically difficult riding I've ever
    done. We rode for six hours (with breaks) and only covered 25 miles! It
    really got to me: going up steep (10 to 15%) hills, full of ruts, and
    suddenly hitting deep mud or a patch of wet mining tailings (about the
    consistency of talcum powder). No way I could clip out in time. I went down
    five (yes five) times. None the worse for wear except a skinned elbow and
    bruises, but I'm a little scared of my bike and pedals right now. I
    DEFINITELY need to practice on the clipless on less technical roads
    (pavement sounds real interesting about now - at least red lights don't
    appear suddenly with no warning!)

    --
    Mark Rehmar
    Please remove *splinters* to reply by email

  2. Oops, I meant to post this under the "a not so great biking day" thread but
    pressed the wrong button - too many falls today!!

    "MarkR" <mail@*splinters*mrstudio.com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I went out today with a friend for what I thought would be an easy day to
    get used to the clipless. We rode in this strange area near our houses.
    Right in the middle of a rural residential area is an old mining area


    known

    Quoted message said:

    as Logan Cut or "the cuts" of about 8000 acres.

    It's an area everyone knows about but none of my friends or acquantances
    have been in. As mentioned, it's an historic hydrolically mined area.

    Well, it turned out to be the most tecnically difficult riding I've ever
    done. We rode for six hours (with breaks) and only covered 25 miles! It
    really got to me: going up steep (10 to 15%) hills, full of ruts, and
    suddenly hitting deep mud or a patch of wet mining tailings (about the
    consistency of talcum powder). No way I could clip out in time. I went


    down

    Quoted message said:

    five (yes five) times. None the worse for wear except a skinned elbow and
    bruises, but I'm a little scared of my bike and pedals right now. I
    DEFINITELY need to practice on the clipless on less technical roads
    (pavement sounds real interesting about now - at least red lights don't
    appear suddenly with no warning!)

    --
    Mark Rehmar
    Please remove *splinters* to reply by email

  3. "MarkR" <mail@*splinters*mrstudio.com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I went out today with a friend for what I thought would be an easy day to
    get used to the clipless. We rode in this strange area near our houses.
    Right in the middle of a rural residential area is an old mining area known
    as Logan Cut or "the cuts" of about 8000 acres.

    It's an area everyone knows about but none of my friends or acquantances
    have been in. As mentioned, it's an historic hydrolically mined area.

    Well, it turned out to be the most tecnically difficult riding I've ever
    done. We rode for six hours (with breaks) and only covered 25 miles! It
    really got to me: going up steep (10 to 15%) hills, full of ruts, and
    suddenly hitting deep mud or a patch of wet mining tailings (about the
    consistency of talcum powder). No way I could clip out in time. I went down
    five (yes five) times. None the worse for wear except a skinned elbow and
    bruises, but I'm a little scared of my bike and pedals right now. I
    DEFINITELY need to practice on the clipless on less technical roads
    (pavement sounds real interesting about now - at least red lights don't
    appear suddenly with no warning!)

    --
    Mark Rehmar
    Please remove *splinters* to reply by email

    Not exactly the best terrain to get used to clipess...

  4. On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:57:16 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, "MarkR"

    mail@*splinters*mrstudio.com said:

    No way I could clip out in time. I went down
    five (yes five) times. None the worse for wear except a skinned elbow and
    bruises, but I'm a little scared of my bike and pedals right now.

    you need to loosen them up a bit, and then you'll probably have
    to tighten them over several months as the new cleats wear in.

  5. MarkR wrote:
    :: I went out today with a friend for what I thought would be an easy
    :: day to get used to the clipless. We rode in this strange area near
    :: our houses. Right in the middle of a rural residential area is an
    :: old mining area known as Logan Cut or "the cuts" of about 8000 acres.
    ::
    :: It's an area everyone knows about but none of my friends or
    :: acquantances have been in. As mentioned, it's an historic
    :: hydrolically mined area.
    ::
    :: Well, it turned out to be the most tecnically difficult riding I've
    :: ever done. We rode for six hours (with breaks) and only covered 25
    :: miles! It really got to me: going up steep (10 to 15%) hills, full
    :: of ruts, and suddenly hitting deep mud or a patch of wet mining
    :: tailings (about the consistency of talcum powder). No way I could
    :: clip out in time. I went down five (yes five) times. None the worse
    :: for wear except a skinned elbow and bruises, but I'm a little scared
    :: of my bike and pedals right now. I DEFINITELY need to practice on
    :: the clipless on less technical roads (pavement sounds real
    :: interesting about now - at least red lights don't appear suddenly
    :: with no warning!)
    ::

    Wow. Mark -- it's time for some easy rides...otherwise, you may really get
    fear of the saddle. Keep to routes you know well. I say short and
    frequent.

    I did 25 (I consider that short) on Sunday with no problems. Going again
    this morning.

    :: --
    :: Mark Rehmar
    :: Please remove *splinters* to reply by email

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.