The Next Long Island Muni Ride And A Whole Lot More! Saturday 4/1/06

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by JustOneWheel, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. JustOneWheel

    JustOneWheel Guest

    After recovering quickly from a broken knee cap (due to SixSixOnes
    looking better than they work):eek: we are ready to Muni on Long
    Island again.

    When: Saturday, April 1st, 2006

    Where: 36 Long Ridge Road
    Plainview, N.Y. 11803

    Time: 9:30a.m. - 10:00 Bagels, Coffee, Etc
    10:00a.m. - ? Muni (Take a 5 minute car ride to the
    trail head)

    For part two of our ride, After the Muni section.
    We hit the unlimited trials lines at “Rock and Boulder city” anyone
    interested, we will stop to pick up a quick bite and head over for a
    scenic 25 minute ride to the south shore of Long Island for a rock and
    cement trials course like no other. (it‘s worth the ride.).

    While filming with Brian Mackenzie for his last movie in December it
    was confirmed that our latest Muni locations I have put together we’re
    just what everyone was looking for.

    From the Muni sections with log skinnies to log piles to root sections
    w/ switchbacks to “Rock and Cement City” for what Brian Maw and Jeff
    Prosa called “the best trials lines they’ve seen yet“.

    Whether you’re a beginner or and advanced rider 7yrs old or 60yrs old
    come on out for an awesome day of riding with a great bunch of
    unicyclists from different parts of the east and sometimes other parts
    of the country.

    Adam
    Just One Wheel

    |Filename: Stilwell 045(2).jpg |

    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

  2. xeaza

    xeaza Guest

  3. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    JustOneWheel wrote:
    > After recovering quickly from a broken knee cap (due to SixSixOnes
    > looking better than they work):eek: ...

    When and how did you break your kneecap, dude?

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

  4. JustOneWheel

    JustOneWheel Guest

    steveyo wrote:
    > When and how did you break your kneecap, dude?

    Hey Steve,

    Mid January I was trying for some distance on my new custom 36” UW and
    I came down to one knee and my useless 661’s conveniently slipped down
    enough for me to crack my knee cap.

    You know me I do at least 1500+ miles a year on and off road.

    It’s not often I UPD and when I finally did and needed the 661’s to do
    their job they were
    Useless.

    There good for preventing shin burgers only. You might as well just
    wear shin guards if your wearing 661 4x4‘s.

    It’s only a matter of time.

    A lesson to any serious rider, unless your 661’s extend well over your
    knee cap and conform and fit snug to your leg GET DIFFERENT PADS or you
    will wind up just like me.

    “IT NEVER HAPPENS TO YOU TILL IT HAPPENS”

    The current 661’s aren’t made to fit the leg properly.

    Hey Steve, What type of knee/shins are you using?

    I noticed in pictures from our last ride that your knee pads look like
    there made to fit very well.

    We hope to see you at the next ride.

    Adam Cohen
    Just One Wheel Inc

    --
    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

  5. JustOneWheel

    JustOneWheel Guest

  6. JustOneWheel

    JustOneWheel Guest

    Thats if I can ever convince my wife to let me ride it again!:eek:

    |Filename: UW36 014(2).jpg |

    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

  7. JustOneWheel

    JustOneWheel Guest

    Brian MacKenzie wrote:
    > Wish I could make it down, last time was a hoot!
    >
    > Looks like I will be able to make it back for the first weekend in
    > May...
    >
    > (I will give Adam some UW36 lessons at that time)

    I first need to convince Renie to let me ride it again!:(

    I was really starting to enjoy the ride.

    That was my first distance ride for the UW.

    I will post a video of the wheel in action at some point down the line.
    I am having problems downloading it.

    --
    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

  8. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    JustOneWheel wrote:

    > Mid January I was trying for some distance on my new custom 36” UW and
    > I came down to one knee and my useless 661’s conveniently slipped down
    > enough for me to crack my knee cap.

    Arrrrggg!

    JustOneWheel wrote:

    > What type of knee/shins are you using?
    >
    > I noticed in pictures from our last ride that your knee pads look like
    > there made to fit very well.

    They do seem to fit on pretty snugly all around. They are Kona
    "Launch" leg pads. I found them 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/av6nh), and
    a review 'here' (http://www.nsmb.com/product_reviews/show.php?id=992),
    but they might not make them anymore.

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

  9. JustOneWheel

    JustOneWheel Guest

    steveyo wrote:
    > Arrrrggg!
    >

    > They do seem to fit on pretty snugly all around. They are Kona
    > "Launch" leg pads. I found them 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/av6nh), and
    > a review 'here' (http://www.nsmb.com/product_reviews/show.php?id=992),
    > but they might not make them anymore.

    All good things are hard to find!

    I'll start looking thanks for the info.

    I'm determined to find pads that will actually work.

    Especially before the official launch of Just One Wheel Inc when we
    will be liable for people under our supervision.

    Thanks again,

    Adam

    --
    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

  10. if i was in the market for new pads, I would try these:

    http://tinyurl.com/89m2e

    I'm not sure what the American equivelant to Mountain Equipment Co-op
    is, but these guys sell all sorts of outdoorsy stuff, and their own
    name brand stuff. If I am looking for something, especially cycling
    related, this is ALWAYS my first stop

    I haven't heard any reviews of them, but they looked shaped just like
    my KH pads (give or take) and mine do not slide down a bit...when these
    pads go, I will be ordering a set from MEC to replace them

    (You need a membership to shop here though)

    (It's a one time fee of $5cdn...that's approx $0.02US)

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'Training Wheel Not Required DVD'
    (http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR.wmv)
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  11. JustOneWheel

    JustOneWheel Guest

    Brian MacKenzie wrote:
    > if i was in the market for new pads, I would try these:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/89m2e
    >
    > I'm not sure what the American equivelant to Mountain Equipment Co-op
    > is, but these guys sell all sorts of outdoorsy stuff, and their own
    > name brand stuff. If I am looking for something, especially cycling
    > related, this is ALWAYS my first stop
    >
    > I haven't heard any reviews of them, but they looked shaped just like
    > my KH pads (give or take) and mine do not slide down a bit...when these
    > pads go, I will be ordering a set from MEC to replace them
    >
    > (You need a membership to shop here though)
    >
    > (It's a one time fee of $5cdn...that's approx $0.02US)

    Those look great!

    They've addressed all the deficiencies the 661's have.

    Unlike 661's these are offered in a tall version. Not that I am so tall
    (5'10")

    But, it's all about keeping the knees covered even as they hit the
    ground

    I wish I knew how lame 661's were prior to using them.

    If I had these pads I would still be rockin.

    Thanks Dude.

    I will now fly in 100 chicken balls from Canada for your stay in May.

    Adam

    --
    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

  12. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:51:31 -0600, JustOneWheel wrote:

    >Those look great!
    >
    >They've addressed all the deficiencies the 661's have.

    The review linked from that page is mixed. One quote: "there is no
    protective fabric on the leg pads to cover your calves, so the straps
    rub against your skin and cause irritation".

    The irritation is one thing, but the thin fabric at the rear side of
    661's also offers a surprising amount of protection against pedal
    bites. Wouldn't want to give up on that.

    For me, during MUni with the 661's, most crashes are at low speed and
    sliding down (and exposing knee) is not so much of an issue - at least
    it never happened to me.

    I appreciate that you did distance with them, which is different. I've
    seen a recommendation to use "bare" hard shell knee protectors for
    distance. They would slide on the road rather than down your knees.

  13. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

  14. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:51:31 -0600, JustOneWheel wrote:
    >
    > >Those look great!
    > >
    > >They've addressed all the deficiencies the 661's have.

    > The review linked from that page is mixed. One quote: "there is no
    > protective fabric on the leg pads to cover your calves, so the straps
    > rub against your skin and cause irritation".
    >
    > The irritation is one thing, but the thin fabric at the rear side of
    > 661's also offers a surprising amount of protection against pedal
    > bites. Wouldn't want to give up on that.
    >
    > For me, during MUni with the 661's, most crashes are at low speed and
    > sliding down (and exposing knee) is not so much of an issue - at least
    > it never happened to me.
    >
    > I appreciate that you did distance with them, which is different. I've
    > seen a recommendation to use "bare" hard shell knee protectors for
    > distance. They would slide on the road rather than down your knees.

    I bought a pair about 3 years back to try them out. They arrived and
    were way too skinny for my legs (I was in decent shape, so it was
    walking and uni-muscle). I returned them for the next size up and they
    were the same. I returned those and never got a refund, so MEC got
    crossed off the list. :(

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'