The next president of the United States is a...cyclist

> On 2004-02-21, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>
> >> Sorry. There's no evidence of that, either. Not a trace.
> >
> > True, but the question still stands: what happened to all those weapons he had?
>
> Which ones are those? The ones Reagan sold to him? If he hasn't used them, they're probably way
> past their shelf-life.

The ones he used on the Kurds after the first Gulf War, and the Iranians before that. The shelf life
of this is stuff is quite long. In the 80's there were weapons in the US inventory which had been
manufactured in the 50's and were still usable.

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:37:33 -0500, David Kerber wrote:
>
> > That's part of it, but only a small part. The real reason for attacking Iraq and not even
> > discussing attacking NK is two-fold:
> >
> > 1) Iraq has let it be known that they want to have more influence in the middle east (witness
> > their invasion of Kuwait);
>
> Well, Kuwait was, at one time (early 20th century), a province of Iraq, as they had claimed. Not
> that that justifies invasion. Also, maybe you don't recall, but N. Korea did also try to expand
> its borders as well -- into what was at one time the rest of Korea.

Yes, and we helped drive them out at a cost of tens of thousands of American lives. Driving Iraq out
of Kuwait was not as costly, but even more necessary.

> > there is concern that with WMD's, they could coerce their other oil-rich neighbors into doing
> > Iraq's will, giving Iraq control of something like 50% of the worlds oil. So it's not Iraq's own
> > oil which is the reason, but rather the rest of the area's oil, which the rest of the world
> > needs. NK is not in that kind of situation to have a direct effect on our national interest.
>
> So, the national interest is the oil.

Of course, but not Iraq's oil specifically.

> > 2) Iraq's military was *much* weaker than NK's.
>
> So, we make war not on the basis of the weapons or concerns about aggression or terror, but based
> on whether we can whip 'em.

No, the decisions are based on what is in our best interest. Attacking a military nearly as strong
as ours, with nuclear weapons and the missiles to deliver them, just to depose a dictator who has
WMD's is not in our interest. Deposing a dictator who we believed had WMD's, (and certainly DID have
them, and used them just a few years earlier), and who yearns to control the entire middle east's
oil production, with a much smaller cost, *was* in our best interest.

> Iraq has a small,
> > Korean War era military.
>
> It had been promoted as the largest military in the Middle East, and larger than all except the
> US, Russia, and China.

I believe it is the biggest in the Middle East (with the possible exception of Iran), but where
did you see the claim that it was the 4th largest in the world? I believe that spot belongs to
North Korea.

> NK has a modern army
> larger than that of the
> > US.
>
> Really? How modern can their military be?

Much more than Iraq's: they have long range missiles and nuclear weapons. Their total military
strength is not as high as that of the US, but the army is bigger than the active-duty US army.

> >> If you paid attention to the build-up to this war, the reason for war kept shifting. First it
> >> was a link to Bin Laden and his merry band, then when
> >
> > I never heard that as a reason from the administration, as far as I can recall. Links to
> > terrorism in general, yes (which have found some supporting evidence, IIRC), but not to Al
> > Qaeda.
>
> No? Then why the tie-in to 9/11?

I don't recall hearing one, except for what it did for the country's mood and willingness to be
aggressive. I may be mis-remembering though.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:36:33 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> from Road Runner High
Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>Oh ****. Kev. The US wants to have some sort of election and power transfer by June 30. The UN
>thinks that it will probably have to wait until after that. Until it can be done right. Another
>sticking point is a caucas vs a general election.

"Some sort of election" in this case means a caucus system with three layers of appointees before
the Iraqi populace even gets a vote. No way is that democratic. And the Iraqis have opposed it so
much, it is dead in the water now. The power handover will go badly, and the U.S. will still be in
charge through a puppet government.

>You're right, though, that troops will probably be there for a long time.

No probably about it. Jay Garner and others have come out and said so. We may end up keeping a full
brigade of ground pounders in Iraq.

>Hopefully, this will turn out better than what has happened in the last ten years with Haiti.

Apples and oranges. Iraq nominally has wealth, though it is being siphoned out by foreign
corporations. (Why don't you hear "The Iraqi oil belongs to the Iraqi people," anymore?). Haiti has
nothing, and that is the major cause of instability there -- abject poverty.

>Nation building takes decades, not months.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YM "imperialism." HTH.

--
[email protected]
Don't be afraid of things because they're easy to do.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:53:11 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> from Road Runner High
Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:23:27 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> from Habanero Cycles wrote:
>>
>> >Some day we'll find out what really happened to the WMD stores.
>>
>> They were destroyed long ago.
>
>How could they have done that without leaving some sort of trail? Seems to me the aerial
>survelliance would have picked it up.

It did. After the first Gulf War.

>Sure, we know what happened to some of it. Probably most. The Iraqis fessed up some, the inspectors
>found some more.
>
>But not all.

We don't know what's happened to all of OUR chemical, biological and nuclear munitions and
precursors. No record keeping system is perfect. The, when the records get destroyed in wars, it's
even that much more uncertain. The vast majority of the evidence established beyond a reasonable
doubt that Iraq had disarmed before Bush's invasion. Statements by the administration to the
contrary are proving more each day to be hysteria-producing propaganda.

--
[email protected]
Make an exhaustive list of everything you might do & do the last thing

> "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:23:27 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> from Habanero Cycles wrote:
> >
> > >Some day we'll find out what really happened to the WMD stores.
> >
> > They were destroyed long ago.
>
> How could they have done that without leaving some sort of trail? Seems to me the aerial
> survelliance would have picked it up.

The aerial surveillance was periodic not continuous, and limited to daylight hours even when it was
in operation.

> Sure, we know what happened to some of it. Probably most. The Iraqis fessed up some, the
> inspectors found some more.

And a significant amount was used on the Kurds.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:26:12 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> from

>The ones he used on the Kurds after the first Gulf War, and the Iranians before that.

Halabja, the Kurdish gassing, happened during the Iran-Iraq war. What made you think otherwise?

--
[email protected]
Question the heroic approach.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:18:42 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> from
Realtime Limited wrote:

>>Nation building takes decades, not months.
>
>An excellent point. Why we were there in the first place is a good question, but the fact is we
>have to deal with it.

You mean, once we are committed to the wrong course of action we have to see it through to it's
bitter, suffering end?

Nonsense.

We should leave now, lock, stock and barrel.

--
[email protected]
Always give yourself credit for having more than personality.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:28:57 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> from

>> Sure, we know what happened to some of it. Probably most. The Iraqis fessed up some, the
>> inspectors found some more.
>
>And a significant amount was used on the Kurds.

That was during the Iran Iraq war. Has U.S. propaganda been so successful that most people believe
the Kurds were gassed after the first Gulf War? The date of the Halabja gassing: March 16, 1988.
Hussein and Iraq were U.S. allies then.

--
[email protected]
Just carry on.

>No probably about it. Jay Garner and others have come out and said so. We may end up keeping a full
>brigade of ground pounders in Iraq.

Not a brigade. More like three divisions. For years. That's about an Army Corps, give or take
100,000 troops. Not including air and etc., total value of the deal is pretty expensive, not to
mention that it means National Guard troops have to supplement the RA for extended duty.

Oh yeah, it costs money.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote

> >Nation building takes decades, not months.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> YM "imperialism." HTH.

Imperialism? Either ignore the problem on our doorstep, or do somethng about it.

Since it did affect us (boat people), we couldn't just ignore the problem. They brought it to us.

And you canNOT send aid workers and food (no matter where they come from) into there without
security. Said security then draws fire from the rebel forces, just because those rebel forces are
assholes. Then escalating the situation.

Either way, we'll be seen as the bad guys by someone.

Pete

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:18:42 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]>
from
> Realtime Limited wrote:
>
> >>Nation building takes decades, not months.
> >
> >An excellent point. Why we were there in the first place is a good question, but the fact is we
> >have to deal with it.
>
> You mean, once we are committed to the wrong course of action we have to
see it
> through to it's bitter, suffering end?
>
> Nonsense.
>
> We should leave now, lock, stock and barrel.

And be seen as the bad guys for abandoning them (again).

Pete

David Kerber wrote:

> Sorry, I believe you are mistaken here: nobody in the administrator ever claimed that Saddam was
> aiding Al Qaida. Other terrorists yes, and they may have claimed that some Al Qaida operatives
> were inside Iraq, but that is a long way from claiming that they aided them.

"We've learned that Iraq has trained al Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases."
-- George W. Bush, 10/7/2002

"Evidence from intelligence sources, secret communications, and statements by people now in custody
reveal that Saddam Hussein aids and protects terrorists, including members of al Qaeda."
-- George W. Bush, State of the Union Address, 2003

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "Everything is repairable"

>The intellectual give-and-take with your pet rats ended on 9.11.01.

Apparently because the name-calling shifted into overdrive.

Followups set accordingly.

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Someone who wants to believe something badly enough can't be
dissuaded by any amount of facts or reasoning" - Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 07:18:08 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> from Road Runner High
Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> >Nation building takes decades, not months.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> YM "imperialism." HTH.
>
>Imperialism? Either ignore the problem on our doorstep, or do somethng about it.

The problem is one we created with a needless war. Any government we build there is just going to
suit our interests, not those of the Iraqi people. Our only responsibility is to get out of a nation
we never should have invaded in the first place.

--
[email protected]
Do the words need changing?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 07:14:54 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> from Road Runner High
Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:18:42 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]>
>from

>> >An excellent point. Why we were there in the first place is a good question, but the fact is we
>> >have to deal with it.
>>
>> You mean, once we are committed to the wrong course of action we have to
>see it
>> through to it's bitter, suffering end?
>>
>> Nonsense.
>>
>> We should leave now, lock, stock and barrel.
>
>And be seen as the bad guys for abandoning them (again).

Wrong. We're already seen as the bad guys for going there in the first place. Turning it over to a
legitimate international agency and making reparations has a better chance of winning allies.

--
[email protected]
Make an exhaustive list of everything you might do & do the last thing
on the list.
12

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 07:27:35 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> from Road Runner High
Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>If it was possible to destroy them, unseen and undocumented by coalition forces, it might have been
>just as possible to move them out of country.

And, as I told you, that would leave evidence on the ground in Iraq that has not turned up at all.
Nor will it. There were no WMD to move out of the country.

--
[email protected]
Towards the insignificant.

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message

> > "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:23:27 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
from

> > > They were destroyed long ago.
> >
> > How could they have done that without leaving some sort of trail? Seems
> > me the aerial survelliance would have picked it up.
>
> The aerial surveillance was periodic not continuous, and limited to daylight hours even when it
> was in operation.

I was at Incirlik AB, Turkey several times in the 90's, supporting Operation Provide Comfort, and
then Operation Northern Watch. I'll not go into details about how often and how long the jets flew,
but yes, I do know some of the particulars.

My comment was a jab at Kev's simlar statement elsewhere about the impossibility of Iraqi weapons
being moved out of country.

If it was possible to destroy them, unseen and undocumented by coalition forces, it might have been
just as possible to move them out of country.

Pete

>You mean, once we are committed to the wrong course of action we have to see it through to it's
>bitter, suffering end?

Yes, essentially. You depend on your leaders to make decisions and sometimes those decisions
are wrong.

If you don't like them you choose new leaders.

That is democracy.

But you don't fail in your duty to your country, ever.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:22:57 -0500, David Kerber
<[email protected]>:

>Sorry, I believe you are mistaken here: nobody in the administrator ever claimed that Saddam was
>aiding Al Qaida.

No, they just kept mentioning them in the same sentence in the hope that they could ride the 9-11
wave right into Baghdad. It worked, too.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:52:57 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> from
Realtime Limited wrote:

>>You mean, once we are committed to the wrong course of action we have to see it through to it's
>>bitter, suffering end?
>
>Yes, essentially. You depend on your leaders to make decisions and sometimes those decisions
>are wrong.

I don't depend on my "leaders" for squat. Well, no, I take that back. I depend on them to screw
things up royally. This newfound trust in American government is strange to me considering its
recent history: Vietnam, Watergate, Iran-Contra, Pick-A-Clinton-Scandal ... Our "leaders" more often
lie to us than not.

>If you don't like them you choose new leaders.

Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum? Yeah, great choice. Democrats and Republicans differ little on issues I
care about. I see neither of them challenging corporate dominance of all aspect of American life.
Neither will replace our militant foreign policy with something humane.

>That is democracy.

I wish the U.S. were more democratic. I get squat for choices.

>But you don't fail in your duty to your country, ever.

And don't you ever presume to define to me what my duty is. That is a matter for my conscience.

--
[email protected]
Reevaluation (a warm feeling).