The Noob needs a part, is it available?

Jerry Everetts

Guest
OK, I was riding to work today, which I do everyday just to get used to by bike. There is a lot of
road construction, and I mis-judged something bad and ended up planting the front end and going
over, I figure that is par for the course until I get my skills on a 26 inch bike up to snuff. the
front wheel bent a bit, no trouble there, spread the brakes and on my way, only to true it up later.
It would seem as though my rear shifter completely went to ****, when I got home I removed the
shifter (XT 8 speed stand alone pod) and took it apart and shure enough, there was a broke piece in
there. My question would be, is that whole pod mechanism, less the clamp and indicator part still
available? does anybody have one? I need some help, as I am out of business until I fix this,
driving a car sucks.

Jerry

Jerry Everetts wrote:
> OK, I was riding to work today, which I do everyday just to get used to by bike. There is a lot of
> road construction, and I mis-judged something bad and ended up planting the front end and going
> over, I figure that is par for the course until I get my skills on a 26 inch bike up to snuff. the
> front wheel bent a bit, no trouble there, spread the brakes and on my way, only to true it up
> later. It would seem as though my rear shifter completely went to ****, when I got home I removed
> the shifter (XT 8 speed stand alone pod) and took it apart and shure enough, there was a broke
> piece in there. My question would be, is that whole pod mechanism, less the clamp and indicator
> part still available? does anybody have one? I need some help, as I am out of business until I fix
> this, driving a car sucks.
>
> Jerry

Oh I think it is a M740, if that makes sense...

"Jerry Everetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jerry Everetts wrote:
> > OK, I was riding to work today, which I do everyday just to get used to by bike. There is a lot
> > of road construction, and I mis-judged something bad and ended up planting the front end and
> > going over, I figure that is par for the course until I get my skills on a 26 inch bike up to
> > snuff. the front wheel bent a bit, no trouble there, spread the brakes and on my way, only to
> > true it up later. It would seem as though my rear shifter completely went to ****, when I got
> > home I removed the shifter (XT 8 speed stand alone pod) and took it apart and shure enough,
> > there was a broke piece in there. My question would be, is that whole pod mechanism, less the
> > clamp and indicator part still available? does anybody have one? I need some help, as I am out
> > of business until I fix this, driving a car sucks.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> Oh I think it is a M740, if that makes sense...

You might have better luck trying a bike shop.

> My question would be, is that whole pod mechanism, less the clamp and indicator part still
> available?

Pricepoint has the "complete"8 speed Shimano pods (incl. indicator & cable) for like $60.00

Mojo Deluxe wrote:
> "Jerry Everetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Jerry Everetts wrote:
>>
>>>OK, I was riding to work today, which I do everyday just to get used to by bike. There is a lot
>>>of road construction, and I mis-judged something bad and ended up planting the front end and
>>>going over, I figure that is par for the course until I get my skills on a 26 inch bike up to
>>>snuff. the front wheel bent a bit, no trouble there, spread the brakes and on my way, only to
>>>true it up later. It would seem as though my rear shifter completely went to ****, when I got
>>>home I removed the shifter (XT 8 speed stand alone pod) and took it apart and shure enough, there
>>>was a broke piece in there. My question would be, is that whole pod mechanism, less the clamp and
>>>indicator part still available? does anybody have one? I need some help, as I am out of business
>>>until I fix this, driving a car sucks.
>>>
>>>Jerry
>>>

>>Oh I think it is a M740, if that makes sense...
>>

> You might have better luck trying a bike shop.

Thats the plan for today. I was just desperate in wanting some information last night...
we'll see how it goes...

"Jerry Everetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mojo Deluxe wrote:
> > "Jerry Everetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

something

> >>Oh I think it is a M740, if that makes sense...
> >>

> > You might have better luck trying a bike shop.
> >
> Thats the plan for today. I was just desperate in wanting some information last night... we'll see
> how it goes...

Even if you have to buy new ones, it won't break the bank. Good luck.

< snip endo and pod breakage>

> > Oh I think it is a M740, if that makes sense...
> >
> You might have better luck trying a bike shop.

I broke a 8speed (rear) shift pod a month or so ago. I found 3 options, then chose the worst:

1) In town I found Alivio 8-speed rear shift pods for 25$
2) Online I found an XT rear shift pod (or perhaps the whole set) for 35$ from Jenson and a bit
more from Cambria. I haven't checked up on them lately, so I don't know if they're still
available.
3) Upgrade to 9 speed.

I chose the Alivio because I wanted to ride the next day. It didn't work right out of the box. (User
error could be an option, however I setup the XT pods w/no issue so...)