The numb toe thing....A G A I N ....

Marci Taylor

Guest
Ok, I know this thread has appeared many times but I have a question for all you experts on the
human body. When I ride my big wheeled R64 Saber (BB is about 4 inches higher than the seat), after
about 15 miles of continuous riding, I start getting some slight tingling in my toes. This is about
as bad as it gets and I never get that real numb feeling, just tinglies. I want to know if this is
bad for my feet? Could this cause any permanent problems? It doesn't really bother me and goes away
immediately after getting off the bike. Marci Taylor

Marci,

Why did you do this! Another lengthy foot numbness thread:) No, a little tingling is not a problem.
The only time I get any tingling on my Phantom is when I push hard on the pedals. To summarize the
next 100 messages:

Spin Get a stiffer shoe Move the cleat back Spin Get a bigger shoe (one up in metric) so you can
wiggle your toes Wiggle you toes Spin

To the shoe debate I will add getting a good arch support. I like Superfeet
http://www.superfeet.com/. They make a cycling specific insole. Did I mention spinning?

Bob

BTW, how is you hotrod Tailwind doing?

[email protected] (Marci Taylor) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok, I know this thread has appeared many times but I have a question for all you experts on the
> human body. When I ride my big wheeled R64 Saber (BB is about 4 inches higher than the seat),
> after about 15 miles of continuous riding, I start getting some slight tingling in my toes. This
> is about as bad as it gets and I never get that real numb feeling, just tinglies. I want to know
> if this is bad for my feet? Could this cause any permanent problems? It doesn't really bother me
> and goes away immediately after getting off the bike. Marci Taylor

As always, YMMV ... the top-of-line Shimano carbon sole 220 (or 221) shoes BUT ONLY WITH a
Birkenstock "Blue Footbed arch support" insert ended my hot foot problems.

The Footbed insert should be tried out in the Birkenstock store. Bring your bike shoes with you. The
inserts slip into your bike shoes. If the Footbed's size feels even a little bit off, insist that
the store order the exact right size for you. Also, you can remove the shoe's original bottom liner
if you need a little more space. I did not have to do that.

The Footbeds sell for $45 a pair but they seem to last forever. I also insert the same pair of
Birkenstock footbeds into my running and hiking shoes and it makes them a LOT more comfortable and
supportive. I have a high arch with no foot problems but without the Footbeds, my back tends to ache
after a few hours walking through a museum. With them, I feel a lot better.

FWIW: I currently use EggBeaters but I also have Shimano 959s and 535s and I do not believe any
particular pedal or cleat causes hotfoot.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Marci Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, I know this thread has appeared many times but I have a question for all you experts on the
> human body. When I ride my big wheeled R64 Saber (BB is about 4 inches higher than the seat),
> after about 15 miles of continuous riding, I start getting some slight tingling in my toes. This
> is about as bad as it gets and I never get that real numb feeling, just tinglies. I want to know
> if this is bad for my feet? Could this cause any permanent problems? It doesn't really bother me
> and goes away immediately after getting off the bike. Marci Taylor

Here we go again. We'll have 100 EASY FIXES FOR RECUMBENT TOE.

My experience is that some riders get it, some don't. Some riders can find a fix, others can't.
I've never found anything that made it any better for me, so I just have learned my limitations for
high BB bikes.

Bob Bryant http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

[email protected] (Marci Taylor) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok, I know this thread has appeared many times but I have a question for all you experts on the
> human body. When I ride my big wheeled R64 Saber (BB is about 4 inches higher than the seat),
> after about 15 miles of continuous riding, I start getting some slight tingling in my toes. This
> is about as bad as it gets and I never get that real numb feeling, just tinglies. I want to know
> if this is bad for my feet? Could this cause any permanent problems? It doesn't really bother me
> and goes away immediately after getting off the bike. Marci Taylor

Ok , Ok, Ok, I am soooo sorry for starting this thread...ha. Really my question was just whether
or not this is going to damage my feet. I wasn't asking for any suggestions to alleviate the
tinglies. Marci

I've got some imperical data ... I'll start another thread!

david BOISE ID

>My experience is that some riders get it, some don't. Some riders can find a fix, others can't.
>I've never found anything that made it any better for me, so I just have learned my limitations for
>high BB bikes.

What he said...

Bryan J. Ball www.bentrideronline.com

Originally posted by Marci Taylor
Ok, I know this thread has appeared many times but I have a question for all you experts on the
human body. When I ride my big wheeled R64 Saber (BB is about 4 inches higher than the seat), after
about 15 miles of continuous riding, I start getting some slight tingling in my toes. This is about
as bad as it gets and I never get that real numb feeling, just tinglies. I want to know if this is
bad for my feet? Could this cause any permanent problems? It doesn't really bother me and goes away
immediately after getting off the bike. Marci Taylor

Not to worry Marci, some of us are new to this forum and still have lots to learn, not being fully educated in recumbancy yet. I too have experience numb foot, toes, but it will usually go away if I relax the pressure on the cranks. I suppost that I will eventually get clipless pedals with a stiff sole. My rebox walking shoes are just to soft soled for the job. Now my sketchers with lugs are better and my feet don't slip off the pedals.

I had numb foot yesterday a couple of times durring my ride.

I don't think that there is going to be any lasting damage to the foot.

;)