The Observer, 1/6/03

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David E. Belche, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Ah, fun and games when buying the Sunday paper yesterday. Bought The Independent, got it home to
    find that the colour supplement was missing. Took it back to shop, all other copies exactly the same
    (wholesaler's fault, it would seem), but woman behind counter happy to refund/swap for other paper.
    Had to make do with phone directory-ish Sunday Times in the end, unfortunately. Shame, as The
    Observer had a sports supplement with a feature celebrating 100 years of the Tour de France. Yes,
    you guessed it - as with the glossy mag in the Independent, despite being advertised on the front,
    it was missing! So, if there are any Observer readers on u.r.c, was it a decent feature, or did I
    not miss much?

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    Tags:

  2. David E. Belcher wrote:
    > Ah, fun and games when buying the Sunday paper yesterday. Bought The Independent, got it home to
    > find that the colour supplement was missing. Took it back to shop, all other copies exactly the
    > same (wholesaler's fault, it would seem), but woman behind counter happy to refund/swap for other
    > paper. Had to make do with phone directory-ish Sunday Times in the end, unfortunately. Shame, as
    > The Observer had a sports supplement with a feature celebrating 100 years of the Tour de France.
    > Yes, you guessed it - as with the glossy mag in the Independent, despite being advertised on the
    > front, it was missing! So, if there are any Observer readers on u.r.c, was it a decent feature, or
    > did I not miss much?

    My Observer had all its bits intact but it also had the magazine from the Independent and two copies
    of some parts of the paper. The Observer Sports Monthly did indeed have a feature on the TdF. It had
    some great photos but I have not yet had time to read it. If you want the relevant pages of the
    whole mag then let me know (and a snailmail address) and I'll post it on to you later in the week.

    Colin

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "David E. Belcher" wrote:

    > Ah, fun and games when buying the Sunday paper yesterday. Bought The Independent, got it home to
    > find that the colour supplement was missing. Took it back to shop, all other copies exactly the
    > same (wholesaler's fault, it would seem), but woman behind counter happy to refund/swap for other
    > paper. Had to make do with phone directory-ish Sunday Times in the end, unfortunately. Shame, as
    > The Observer had a sports supplement with a feature celebrating 100 years of the Tour de France.
    > Yes, you guessed it - as with the glossy mag in the Independent, despite being advertised on the
    > front, it was missing! So, if there are any Observer readers on u.r.c, was it a decent feature, or
    > did I not miss much?
    >
    > David E. Belcher
    >
    > Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    You didn't miss much. Indurain had big lungs. The French all think Armstrong is doping. Poulidor
    never quite won. The first few tours were really, seriously hard. Double page spread highlighting
    drugs use through the years. Couple of nice b/w pics.

  4. [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > See
    >
    > <http://www.observer.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,966184,00.html>
    >
    > <http://www.observer.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,966185,00.html>
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Thanks to all concerned for the feedback. Colin - cheers for the offer of posting the relevant bits
    on, but think I'll manage OK as some of the stuff appears to be available in on-line form.

    Regards, David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  5. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    Rob sums it up nicely. Nothing in there that seasoned TdF followers don't know already. It was
    written by a cycling sceptic who came round the idea that the sport isn't that bad after all.

    Best bit was a spectacular double page photo of Fausto Coppi climbing the Tourmalet with thousands
    of supporters covering the mountain. The race is easy nowadays in comparison.

    Send me you address and I'll post you the feature if you like.

    Regards

    TB