The old becomes new again

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. We were going to buy a new bike for my older daughter, Rose. She's growing like a bamboo shoot,
    over 5' now, and her old K2 Zed no longer fit her. Meanwhile, her younger sister Emma was lusting
    for the Zed's 27 gears and hot pink paint job. Rose needed a new bike so we could do summer time
    bike rides as a family and if Emma had gears, we could do much more interesting rides than if every
    ride had to be flat.

    We took a trip to the bike shop. It became clear that Rose would fit an adult frame now. We
    explained what we wanted to the bike shop guy: "all-rounder", "hard tail", "sturdy", "steady" and as
    we gave him all the attributes, it became clear we already had the bike we were describing. We
    thanked the guy and split, and went home.

    There it was, hanging from a hook on the ceiling in the garage. My beater bike. Some of you might
    remember my story about this bike from a posting here (http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=HEd_6.4-
    7%24th.6705%40newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain) or (http://tinyurl.com/edzr).
    We felt embarrassed to think we hadn't thought of it before. We took it off the hook, took off the
    SPDs (now on the tandem! yay!) and put on the flat pedals, took down the seat, and made a few other
    adjustments. She got on it. Y'know, it wasn't too big.

    I reviewed the thumb shifters. Rose was unhappy that the gears weren't numbered like her old
    bike, and seemed somewhat perturbed when I said I knew what gear I was in by feel and by looking
    down at my feet.

    She pushed off anyway. There she was -- and there it was, my old beloved beater -- the two of them
    together. She rode to the end of the street and back, carefully working the shifters, trying to get
    used to the bigger size of the bike. Meanwhile, I was filled with such *naches*. My baby on my old
    yellow Hard Rock. Oh!

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/ Books
    just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

    Tags:

  2. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    --------------0F0A221E7705008607DE0C9C Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

    Claire- For very little money you could install grip-shifters, and once again the gears would
    be numbered.
    - Gary

    Claire Petersky wrote:

    > We were going to buy a new bike for my older daughter, Rose. She's growing like a bamboo shoot,
    > over 5' now, and her old K2 Zed no longer fit her. Meanwhile, her younger sister Emma was lusting
    > for the Zed's 27 gears and hot pink paint job. Rose needed a new bike so we could do summer time
    > bike rides as a family and if Emma had gears, we could do much more interesting rides than if
    > every ride had to be flat.
    >
    > We took a trip to the bike shop. It became clear that Rose would fit an adult frame now. We
    > explained what we wanted to the bike shop guy: "all-rounder", "hard tail", "sturdy", "steady" and
    > as we gave him all the attributes, it became clear we already had the bike we were describing. We
    > thanked the guy and split, and went home.
    >
    > There it was, hanging from a hook on the ceiling in the garage. My beater bike. Some of you might
    > remember my story about this bike from a posting here (http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=HEd_6-
    > .47%24th.6705%40newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain) or
    > (http://tinyurl.com/edzr). We felt embarrassed to think we hadn't thought of it before. We took it
    > off the hook, took off the SPDs (now on the tandem! yay!) and put on the flat pedals, took down
    > the seat, and made a few other adjustments. She got on it. Y'know, it wasn't too big.
    >
    > I reviewed the thumb shifters. Rose was unhappy that the gears weren't numbered like her old bike,
    > and seemed somewhat perturbed when I said I knew what gear I was in by feel and by looking down at
    > my feet.
    >
    > She pushed off anyway. There she was -- and there it was, my old beloved beater -- the two of them
    > together. She rode to the end of the street and back, carefully working the shifters, trying to
    > get used to the bigger size of the bike. Meanwhile, I was filled with such *naches*. My baby on my
    > old yellow Hard Rock. Oh!
    >
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/
    > Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

    --------------0F0A221E7705008607DE0C9C Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> Claire- <br>For very little
    money you could install grip-shifters, and once again the gears would be numbered. <br>- Gary
    daughter, Rose. She's <br>growing like a bamboo shoot, over 5' now, and her old K2 Zed no longer
    pink paint job. Rose needed a new bike so we could do <br>summer time bike rides as a family and
    if Emma had gears, we could do <br>much more interesting rides than if every ride had to be flat.
    <q>We took a trip to the bike shop. It became clear that Rose would fit <br>an adult frame now. We
    explained what we wanted to the bike shop guy: <br>"all-rounder", "hard tail", "sturdy", "steady"
    and as we gave him all <br>the attributes, it became clear we already had the bike we were
    <r>There it was, hanging from a hook on the ceiling in the garage. My <br>beater bike. Some of you
    might remember my story about this bike from <br>a posting here (<a href="http://groups.google.c-
    om/groups?selm=HEd_6.47%24th.6705%40newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain">htt-
    p://groups.google.com/groups?selm=HEd_6.47%24th.6705%40newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net&oe=U-
    TF-8&output=gplain</a>) <br>or (<a
    href="http://tinyurl.com/edzr">http://tinyurl.com/edzr</a>). We felt embarrassed to think we
    hadn't <br>thought of it before. We took it off the hook, took off the SPDs (now <br>on the
    tandem! yay!) and put on the flat pedals, took down the seat, <br>and made a few other
    adjustments. She got on it. Y'know, it wasn't too <br>big.
    <s>I reviewed the thumb shifters. Rose was unhappy that the gears weren't <br>numbered like her old
    bike, and seemed somewhat perturbed when I said <br>I knew what gear I was in by feel and by
    looking down at my feet.
    <t>She pushed off anyway. There she was -- and there it was, my old <br>beloved beater -- the two of
    them together. She rode to the end of the <br>street and back, carefully working the shifters,
    trying to get used to <br>the bigger size of the bike. Meanwhile, I was filled with such
    <u>Warm Regards,
    me.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm">http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm</a>
    just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: <br><a href="http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky">h-

    --------------0F0A221E7705008607DE0C9C--

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    15 Jun 2003 17:15:33 -0700,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:

    >She pushed off anyway. There she was -- and there it was, my old beloved beater -- the two of them
    >together. She rode to the end of the street and back, carefully working the shifters, trying to get
    >used to the bigger size of the bike. Meanwhile, I was filled with such *naches*. My baby on my old
    >yellow Hard Rock. Oh!
    >
    >Warm Regards,

    With some care and luck, you'll be getting the bike back from a grand-daughter when she's
    finished with it.
    --
    zk

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    > We were going to buy a new bike for my older daughter, Rose.
    >
    > She pushed off anyway. There she was -- and there it was, my old beloved beater -- the two of them
    > together. She rode to the end of the street and back, carefully working the shifters, trying to
    > get used to the bigger size of the bike. Meanwhile, I was filled with such *naches*. My baby on my
    > old yellow Hard Rock. Oh!

    My 14 yo son has been riding around on my wife's old bike (complete with 1974 U Mass registration
    sticker). We had some fun this winter modifying it with straight bars and gripshifts for him to use
    as a beater.

  5. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    Wonderful story Claire and wonderful writing.

  6. Van Bagnol

    Van Bagnol Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire
    Petersky) wrote:

    > We were going to buy a new bike for my older daughter, Rose. She's growing like a bamboo shoot,
    > over 5' now, and her old K2 Zed no longer fit her. Meanwhile, her younger sister Emma was lusting
    > for the Zed's 27 gears and hot pink paint job.
    [...]
    > [Rose] pushed off anyway. There she was -- and there it was, my old beloved beater -- the two of
    > them together. She rode to the end of the street and back, carefully working the shifters, trying
    > to get used to the bigger size of the bike. Meanwhile, I was filled with such *naches*. My baby on
    > my old yellow Hard Rock. Oh!

    I get a thrill a little like that when my kids outgrow their bikes and start riding the next one
    handed down. So do they -- my daughter learning gears on her brother's old bike, and my son's
    rediscovered enthusiasm on a new one. On the next jump he'll inherit his mother's bike and she'll
    inherit his brother's hardtail. After that, he'll get my Rockhopper, she'll get Mom's Hardrock and
    I'll have reason to shop for a new full-suspension MTB for myself! :)

    Van

    --
    Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
    Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An