The One Hour Record

trackmaster said:
You can't compare Lance to Merckx because of all the technological advantages there are for him. I'm sure Lance will
woop merckx's record because he has the best of everything; trainers, equipment, nutritionist and apparently he's going to get a world class velodrome built just to break the one hour record. Geesh.
What Lance doesn't have yet is a shirt from www.kingzoftheroad.com

peace.

Actually, it occurs to me that there is a speed, a distance in one hour, beyond which even Eddy Merckx would tip his hat to Armstrong, even after considering all the advantages time has conferred upon Lance. So it's a little bit premature to say that Armstrong is the lesser rider because of all of the advantages. We have to see what he does first. Then we can consider whether it's far enough to be better, even after adjusting for advantages.

Certainly Armstrong is going to use all the modern tools at hand for him, just as anyone else will do in the future. If he does it at elevation, this too will be an option in future attempts to break the record. It is allowable by the UCI. So he has to put forth a mighty effort to be historical. I am eager to see what he does in this event. He still has a long time before his attempt, but there has been a lot of interest in it judging by the internet posts.

I wanted to add that if Lance wants to set the record at altitude, he has few venues available. To build a velodrome at that altitude, set the record, and then tear it down may appear to be a tactical road block against future athletes with similar aspirations but without financial means. I don't think that's the intention. It's a practical solution to the dilemma he faces, which is to find a velodrome which will serve his needs without spending too much of a fortune doing it. If he were to leave the velodrome standing after building it without funding its upkeep, then he would be exposed to the liability that results. If a community would agree to upkeep and insurance, that would be a different story.

The velodrome in Colorado sounds like less problems to solve, although I think it's still up in the air as to where Lance will make his record attempt. I don't see anything on the internet about it lately.

gntlmn said:
An exercise physiologist, Dan Heil at the University of Montana, has submitted a paper to the European Journal of Applied Physiology in which he contends, based on a sophisticated mathematical and physics based model, that Lance Armstrong may smash both hour records by a margin that will put them out of reach of any other athletes for decades to come. He predicts that Armstrong may add as much as 2 km to each record.

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7500

I don't want to discredit what this scientist is proposing, but out of fairness to the other athletes who were also analyzed in various ways by physiologists, it will be interesting to see what really happens when Armstrong makes his attempt. That will be the ultimate test.

Maybe Lance really is going to try for both records: the One Hour performance, and the Athlete's One Hour Record.

I would agree that lance can beat Boardman's record handily, based on his 38 minute 470ish watt effort on that hill climb that's been reported. Considering he was in the middle of the stage and dehydrated and fatigued somewhat from the first bit, and that I think he weighed around 72ish kg and probably has a drag area that's pretty good (looking at the guy, he doesn't look like he has much frontal area) I think he can beat the record IF he does go for it.

-Bikeguy

bikeguy said:
I would agree that lance can beat Boardman's record handily, based on his 38 minute 470ish watt effort on that hill climb that's been reported. Considering he was in the middle of the stage and dehydrated and fatigued somewhat from the first bit, and that I think he weighed around 72ish kg and probably has a drag area that's pretty good (looking at the guy, he doesn't look like he has much frontal area) I think he can beat the record IF he does go for it.

-Bikeguy

Stage 16, 2004 Tour de France, time trial up l'alpe d'huez--a memorable ride indeed, rowdy fans and all.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2004/details/articles/6631.0.html

In RIDE magazine (Australia) a few issues ago they had a special on Eddy Merckx's track bike that he used to beat the hour record. According to the article, it only weighed about 4-5kg which actually makes it illegal under the current UCI laws! Presumably Boardman's bike weighed more than this so perhaps he didnt have all the technological advantage??

(I'm just quoting this info from the magazine, please correct me if wrong!)

daniels said:
In RIDE magazine (Australia) a few issues ago they had a special on Eddy Merckx's track bike that he used to beat the hour record. According to the article, it only weighed about 4-5kg which actually makes it illegal under the current UCI laws! Presumably Boardman's bike weighed more than this so perhaps he didnt have all the technological advantage??

(I'm just quoting this info from the magazine, please correct me if wrong!)
The UCI minimum weight only applies to bicycles in mass start road races.

Every currently marketed road racing bike would be under the minimum weight if you stripped it of brakes, levers, derailleurs, 8 or 9 cogs, a chain wheel, cable, freewheel mechanism and shortened the chain.

Veloflash, I became interested in the UCI technical specifications for track/road/mass start races after you said track bikes are permitted to be under 6.8 kg. This is not the case.

See the pdf download which you can get from www.uci.ch the official UCI site. Section 1.3.019 clearly states that all bicycles competing in road and track races of any type can't weigh less then 6.8 kilograms. However, I think the rule was changed to the current weight in 2000, not sure what the rules were before that.

-Bikeguy

bikeguy said:
Veloflash, I became interested in the UCI technical specifications for track/road/mass start races after you said track bikes are permitted to be under 6.8 kg. This is not the case.

See the pdf download which you can get from www.uci.ch the official UCI site. Section 1.3.019 clearly states that all bicycles competing in road and track races of any type can't weigh less then 6.8 kilograms. However, I think the rule was changed to the current weight in 2000, not sure what the rules were before that.

-Bikeguy

I was not able to find the tech specs on the UCI site prior to submitting my post. I relied on precedent and another web site that used the phrase "mass start road races."

I was competing at our national track championships and the commissaires were over zealous in enforcing the tech specs and rules. Bikes were checked and measured, all computers, pickups, cables and magnets had to be removed for mass start races, etc. However, weight was not part of the enforcement. If it was, all bikes would have had to attach some sort of ballast to meet the 6.8kg minimum.

I still have not been able to find the UCI tech specs but I note on our local tech specs that all bikes have a minimum of 6.8kg. So I stand corrected.

Maybe track officialdom is aware that this rule as it applies to track bikes is unfair and unjust and therefore unenforceable.

The most popular elite international track bike is the BT (Bike Technologies). It is advertised as of ultra lightweight monocoque construction.

"By using airfoil shaped tubing and contouring in a monocoque construction BT is able to produce an ultra lightweight frame."

Have not seen those bikes in Olympics, World Cup & World Championships with weights attached or excluded from competition.

Just took another look for the magazine again today. Its the Spring 2004 issue for those of you playing at home, page 116. Last paragraph:

"An interesting point to note is that while Boardman's bike was required to be above the UCI's 6.8kg weight limit, Merckx's 5.7kg bike was illegal under the new regulations!"

Interesting.

I'm also interested in the rules because I want to familiarize myself with them before I compete this spring/summer. I've been sick (and still am) so I have a bit of time to kill. :)

Veloflash, according to the UCI the weight limit (and rules regarding seat tube angle, position of and length of aerobars etc., aerodynamics and fairings) is to uphold the supremacy of man over machine, in other words, it's supposed to be a competition between men not machines. In practice, the difference in price between the regular bikes and really light and aerodynamic (as far as permitted by the UCI rules) bikes effectively does make it a competition of machines to some extent (and the wealth of the racer) in my opinion. In the case of the hour record, Merckx's lighter bike really wouldn't make much difference because it wouldn't have a huge impact on rolling resistance which is a small part of the total power output. Going up a mountain in an uphill TT though, it would make a difference as well as in a short sprint on the track.

About the bike inspection Veloflash, I guess since it's impossible (and a pain in the ass) to check everything so it's up to the officials at each race to decide what they want to check.

-Bikeguy

bikeguy said:
About the bike inspection Veloflash, I guess since it's impossible (and a pain in the ass) to check everything so it's up to the officials at each race to decide what they want to check.

-Bikeguy

All you need is a simple spring scale similar to the ones in a grocery store

taras0000 said:
All you need is a simple spring scale similar to the ones in a grocery store

(mental image of some dude rolling his Giant into the local Safeway to weigh it next to the tomatoes and shallots....)

he he he!!! :D

ed073 said:
(mental image of some dude rolling his Giant into the local Safeway to weigh it next to the tomatoes and shallots....)

he he he!!! :D

6.8 kilos of shallots and tomatoes. Perfect fuel for the hour.

taras0000 said:
6.8 kilos of shallots and tomatoes. Perfect fuel for the hour.

Gold!!

"Sorry sir....your vegetables have come in under the UCI minimum weight limit. Please add 2 kipfler potatoes....?"

ed073 said:
Gold!!

"Sorry sir....your vegetables have come in under the UCI minimum weight limit. Please add 2 kipfler potatoes....?"

"Can I at least use my coupon redeemable for a savings of 50 seconds?"

bikeguy said:
I'm also interested in the rules because I want to familiarize myself with them before I compete this spring/summer. I've been sick (and still am) so I have a bit of time to kill. :)

Veloflash, according to the UCI the weight limit (and rules regarding seat tube angle, position of and length of aerobars etc., aerodynamics and fairings) is to uphold the supremacy of man over machine, in other words, it's supposed to be a competition between men not machines. In practice, the difference in price between the regular bikes and really light and aerodynamic (as far as permitted by the UCI rules) bikes effectively does make it a competition of machines to some extent (and the wealth of the racer) in my opinion. In the case of the hour record, Merckx's lighter bike really wouldn't make much difference because it wouldn't have a huge impact on rolling resistance which is a small part of the total power output. Going up a mountain in an uphill TT though, it would make a difference as well as in a short sprint on the track.

-Bikeguy

"About the bike inspection Veloflash, I guess since it's impossible (and a pain in the ass) to check everything so it's up to the officials at each race to decide what they want to check."

Most departures from the rules are obvious from a visual inspection. The measuring tape may be required in some cases only to quantify the breach.

For juniors the officials will always check if they are running gears that do not exceed the maximum roll out for their age category.

There is also the interpretation of the rules, particularly in regard to safety. Experienced track riders do not run with lock rings on their cog. I have heard of events where officials insisted that all bikes be inspected for lock rings. That would have caused problems for about 90% of riders - to find or borrow a lock ring.

daniels said:
Just took another look for the magazine again today. Its the Spring 2004 issue for those of you playing at home, page 116. Last paragraph:

"An interesting point to note is that while Boardman's bike was required to be above the UCI's 6.8kg weight limit, Merckx's 5.7kg bike was illegal under the new regulations!"

Interesting.

Here's an interesting piece on the Merckx hour record saga, told by the guy who put together his bike.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/2004/colnago/?id=colnago5

Another item of conversation, while we're talking about very small differences, is the clothing worn. Between 1972, when Merckx set his mark, and 1999, when Boardman set his, clothing changed greatly. I wonder if we might get a few posts on this. I doubt that Merckx had the better aerodynamics, at least as far as clothing goes.

Silk skinsuit, leather helmet.

Boadman used a lycra skinsuit and a bucket lid, no teardrop allowed.

VeloFlash said:
"About the bike inspection Veloflash, I guess since it's impossible (and a pain in the ass) to check everything so it's up to the officials at each race to decide what they want to check."

They might get away with such laxity at some races, but I have a feeling a world record attempt wouldn't be like that, unless an unknown sets an unexpected record. Then it would probably be discredited for failing to be within the rules.

It's another sport, but one guy broke the 50 km race walk world record only months before the 2004 Olympics. The record was later not allowed when it was determined that the officials had not performed the drug testing required. The same would happen with a cycling record.

I wonder if the bike Boardman rode was the weight of Merckx' bike or if it was the lower limit on the UCI.