The pain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 07:46:34 -0800, Karen Hayward-King <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>>On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 17:37:03 +1300, TomV wrote:
>>
>>> Your description isn't helping :)
>>
>>Heh - well, this computer programmer needs more exercise, and I'm assured it gets better... :)
>
>It does and surprisingly quickly as well :)

Yeah I know, although cycling seems to be one of the worst for specific pain as you get
back into it.

I get reasonable exercise so general fitness isn't the issue, but the rare occasion I ride a bike
the thighs scream at me, very very loudly.

So I'm a softy :)

...tom

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 20:08:48 +0000, GregR wrote:

> The pain will go away as you ride more. Also, your position on the bike will change as your
> fitness increases. So you may end up with that old stem eventually....

Yup - now to remember where I put the old one :)

Jon Isaacs wrote:One day soon you will be riding along and come to a hill or may a stop sign.

> You will put the hammer down, push hard and you will be amazed at yourself, your body responds and
> away you go in a mad dash of joy.
>
> And then you will be hooked and you will be riding because you like to ride rather than because
> you believe you need to.
>
> jon isaacs
>
> Yes, you can do it

Hear Hear! Well said Jon

"Mark Derricutt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:5C99F8074A1572B1.D2D8712192236909.3A20A816E50C2E26@lp.airnews.net...
> So after 10 or so years of not riding, and getting hideously unfit, I got a bike last year, but
> somehow never got around to using it much, just replaced the stem to raise the handle bars and oh
> joy - the bike is so much nicer to ride...
>
> Sadly now I feel pain - just rode the bike - 3-4 times further than normal, and steepish hill, I
> was lucky to still stand after I got off the bike :p
>
> All in the name of attempting to get fit :p I normally just do once around the block, but I
> decided to explore one of the alleyways and looped around the greater "block", not a bad ride,
> apart from the hill, but from there to the flat its all down hill, till the last 10 feet, which is
> another incline - then I have to carry the bike down a path about a story to the flat (the hardest
> part) :p
>
> Darn my legs giving way on me - hopefully that'll dissapear as I get fitter and increase my leg
> muscles/strength.
>
>
I understand your pain! I stopped riding for over 13 years and smoked for most of that time. I was
in miserable shape in every way and rarely felt good. I started riding again January 2000. I
suffered a lot the first year but had a lot of fun too. I thought I would be riding centuries by
June but that didn't happen until 2002. My endurance and speed didn't satisfy me until a year and a
half later. I rode more than 3500 miles last year and am serving as president of my local bike club
this year. I'm feeling better and enjoying my life now far more than ever. Stick with it. You will
become as addicted to bicycling as I am and have the same health benefits and joy that I have found.

I read that [email protected] said in article <nOL0a.871 [email protected]>, . . .
> "Frank Knox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
> > Stick with it. You will become as addicted to bicycling as I am and have the same health
> > benefits and joy that I have found.
> >
>
> But there just always seems to be a head wind!!!

"For every uphill there is a downhill. For every headwind there is a headwind."

MikeE

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I read that [email protected] said in article <nOL0a.871
> [email protected]>, . . .
> > "Frank Knox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]... <snip>
> > > Stick with it. You will become as addicted to bicycling as I am and
have
> > > the same health benefits and joy that I have found.
> > >
> >
> > But there just always seems to be a head wind!!!
>
> "For every uphill there is a downhill. For every headwind there is a headwind."
>

When I first started commuting I was averaging maybe 24-25 km/h on an 8 km ride. One day it was
really windy, like 12-15 m/s or 25-30 knots. I had to really put my head down and spin much lower
gears just to keep the bike moving. Imagine my surprise upon getting home that I'd averaged almost
30 km/h. This was the day I started learning about what a good cadence does.

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:36:17 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>One day it was really windy, like 12-15 m/s or 25-30 knots. I had to really put my head down and
>spin much lower gears just to keep the bike moving. Imagine my surprise upon getting home that I'd
>averaged almost 30 km/h. This was the day I started learning about what a good cadence does.

Ah, I remember that. And I remember getting the cadence sorted only to find that my average speed of
20mph was knocked down to under 16mph by the next ******* headwind :)

So now I ride a recumbent....

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

> "Frank Knox" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:[email protected]...
>> Stick with it. You will become as addicted to bicycling as I am and have the same health benefits
>> and joy that I have found.

Addicted? Hmmm. I used to cycle everywhere. I wouldn't flinch of a 50 - 100 k ride some weekends.

But I wouldn't say I was addicted. Not now that I couldn't be arsed to ride because of the gravel
roads around here.
:)

PAM.

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:22:55 +1300, "PAM." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Addicted? Hmmm. I used to cycle everywhere. I wouldn't flinch of a 50 - 100 k ride some weekends.

>But I wouldn't say I was addicted. Not now that I couldn't be arsed to ride because of the gravel
>roads around here.
>:)

So, you're in recovery :)

(also possibly in England?)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:27:21 +0000, Mike Elliott wrote:

> For every headwind there is a headwind

Oh yay :)

Mark Derricutt wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:27:21 +0000, Mike Elliott wrote:
>
> > For every headwind there is a headwind
>
> Oh yay :)

Hey dont worry about it. Headwinds just make you more durable. Bernie

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:02:16 -0800, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>Mark Derricutt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:27:21 +0000, Mike Elliott wrote:
>>
>> > For every headwind there is a headwind
>>
>> Oh yay :)
>
>Hey dont worry about it. Headwinds just make you more durable. Bernie

I believe the problem with headwinds is that we so rarely acknowledge and give thanks to the
tailwinds.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:02:16 -0800, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >Mark Derricutt wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:27:21 +0000, Mike Elliott wrote:
> >>
> >> > For every headwind there is a headwind
> >>
> >> Oh yay :)
> >
> >Hey dont worry about it. Headwinds just make you more durable. Bernie
>
> I believe the problem with headwinds is that we so rarely acknowledge and give thanks to the
> tailwinds.
> --
> zk

Well I always notice and appreciate tailwinds - and give thanks for them sometimes. Headwinds make
you tougher, tailwinds make you more joyful. I always feel I am flying when I have the right
tailwind. And a note to motorists: kids on bikes don't really 'ride' bikes, they 'fly' them, so give
lots of space. Bernie

Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:12:02 -0800, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]>
wrote: \snip
>> >> > For every headwind there is a headwind
>> >>
>> >> Oh yay :)
>> >
>> >Hey dont worry about it. Headwinds just make you more durable. Bernie
>>
>> I believe the problem with headwinds is that we so rarely acknowledge and give thanks to the
>> tailwinds.
>> --
>> zk
>
>Well I always notice and appreciate tailwinds - and give thanks for them sometimes. Headwinds make
>you tougher, tailwinds make you more joyful. I always feel I am flying when I have the right
>tailwind. And a note to motorists: kids on bikes don't really 'ride' bikes, they 'fly' them, so
>give lots of space. Bernie

Hills are finite, the wind can make you cry.

Sometimes, in a rain cape, you are flying. I liken it to a spinnaker. Not something I'd wear across
some of our bridges!
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:12:02 -0800, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]>
> wrote: \snip
> >> >> > For every headwind there is a headwind
> >> >>
> >> >> Oh yay :)
> >> >
> >> >Hey dont worry about it. Headwinds just make you more durable. Bernie
> >>
> >> I believe the problem with headwinds is that we so rarely acknowledge and give thanks to the
> >> tailwinds.
> >> --
> >> zk
> >
> >Well I always notice and appreciate tailwinds - and give thanks for them sometimes. Headwinds
> >make you tougher, tailwinds make you more joyful. I always feel I am flying when I have the right
> >tailwind. And a note to motorists: kids on bikes don't really 'ride' bikes, they 'fly' them, so
> >give lots of space. Bernie
>
> Hills are finite, the wind can make you cry.
>
> Sometimes, in a rain cape, you are flying. I liken it to a spinnaker. Not something I'd wear
> across some of our bridges!
> --
> zk

Yeah, headwinds turn your wheels to lead, downhills are the payoff for uphills, and turning your
rain cape into a spinnaker is another dimension entirely! :-} Bernie

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:36:17 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >One day it was really windy, like 12-15 m/s or 25-30 knots. I had to really put my head down and
> >spin much lower gears just to keep the bike moving. Imagine my surprise upon getting home that
> >I'd averaged almost 30 km/h. This was the day I started learning about what a good cadence does.
>
> Ah, I remember that. And I remember getting the cadence sorted only to find that my average speed
> of 20mph was knocked down to under 16mph by the next ******* headwind :)
>

Yep. That was when I learned to put my head down.

--

Perre

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 19:35:24 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Ah, I remember that. And I remember getting the cadence sorted only to find that my average speed
>> of 20mph was knocked down to under 16mph by the next ******* headwind :)

>Yep. That was when I learned to put my head down.

Trust me, I'm riding on the drops and hunkered down.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 19:35:24 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Ah, I remember that. And I remember getting the cadence sorted only to find that my average
> >> speed of 20mph was knocked down to under 16mph by the next ******* headwind :)
>
> >Yep. That was when I learned to put my head down.
>
> Trust me, I'm riding on the drops and hunkered down.
>

We had winds like that last sunday. When Í hit a crosswind in an open field with my Rolf wheels it
felt like the bike took off. I was really happy having my skydiver experience to fly the bike in
such a fashion that both wheels occasionally had contact with the pavement.

--

Perre

Status
Not open for further replies.