The Passing of a Giant....

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brian Roth, May 15, 2003.

  1. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    from cyclingnews:

    Rik Van Steenbergen dies One of the world's greatest all round riders, Rik Van Steenbergen, has died
    aged 78 in a hospital in Antwerp. Van Steenbergen passed away on Thursday evening after a long
    illness, having been hospitalised for the last month. The Belgian nicknamed "Rik I" or "The Boss"
    won an incredible 952 races on the road and the track during his career that spanned 25 years, and
    he will be remembered by many for his achievements.

    His professional career started in 1943 during the Second World War, and he won 15 road races that
    year, including the Belgian championship and the Championship of Flanders. He also won 27 races on
    the track, and that was the beginning of an enormously successful career. During his time Van
    Steenbergen rode against the likes Fausto Coppi, Ferdi Kubler, Hugo Koblet, Gino Bartali, and later,
    Rik Van Looy, who was nicknamed "Rik II". He retired in 1966, having spent the last few years
    concentrating on the track.

    Career highlights include:

    3 World Road Championships (1949, 1956, 157) 8 major classics wins (Tour of Flanders x 2,
    Paris-Roubaix x 2, Flèche Wallonne x 2, Paris-Bruxelles, Milan-San Remo) 7 Belgian Road
    Championships 4 Stage wins in the Tour de France 15 Stage wins in the Giro d'Italia (including
    second overall 1951) 6 Stage wins in the Vuelta Espana 40 Six Day wins 6 European Track
    Championships 9 Belgian Track Championships

    Bio Born: Arendonk, September 9, 1924 Died: Antwerp, May 15, 2003 Professional between: 1943 and
    1966 Teams: Mercier-Hutchinson (1943-54), Elve-Peugeot (1955-59), Peugeot-BP (1960), Van
    Steenbergen-Solo (1961), Solo-Van Steenbergen (1962), Solo-Terrot
    (1963).

    Major Road Wins
    1964: Belgian Road Race Championship, Championship of Flanders
    1965: Tour of Flanders
    1966: Belgian Road Race Championship
    1967: Tour of Flanders
    1968: Paris-Roubaix
    1969: World Road Race Championship, Flèche Wallonne, 2 stages Tour de France
    1970: Paris-Brussels, 1 stage Tour de France
    1971: 2 stages Giro d'Italia (second overall)
    1972: Paris-Roubaix, 3 stages Giro d'Italia
    1973: 1 stage Giro d'Italia
    1974: Belgian Road Race Championship, Milan-San Remo, 4 stages Giro d'Italia
    1975: 1 stage Tour de France
    1976: World Road Race Championship, 6 stages Vuelta a España (5th overall)
    1977: World Road Race Championship, 5 stages Giro d'Italia
    1978: Flèche Wallonne

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    He was about the level of a Museeuw of his generation. I did not know he got a secong place in
    the Giro .

    RIP.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:35:40 GMT, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >He was about the level of a Museeuw of his generation. I did not know he got a secong place in
    >the Giro .
    >
    >RIP.

    Museeuw wishes he could be RVS.

    ---
    Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar

  4. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    I hear ya there. Great diversity.

    Stage, one-day, classics, worlds, track, 6-day.

    Did M do track? Have such diversity on the road?

    People talk about cycling being tougher today, but wasn't it bigger in the old days? I'd think it's
    getting more dilute and that competition was probably tougher back then.

    Also, it was cooler back then, too.

    Who in recent years has had the fashionable style of Antiqueil(sp)?

    Has there been a Hemingway hanging around the track lately?

    We're lucky to have ol' Sam Abt still reporting on it. After him? Will there be any classy reports
    from the Paris Bureau?

    Cyclists today might occasionally still wear Italian fashion but they seem ever more like pro
    linebackers when they do.

    Style patrol! Who's got it? I have hopes, of course. It's hard to keep style away from cyclists, but
    they've been giving it up in spades for years now.

    As for toughness, has anyone yet beaten Eddy's record on an Eddy-bike? That's a nobrainer but I
    haven't heard it's been done. The kids are so tough today it should be a cinch, right?

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

  5. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I was actually thinking of his classics results. No doubt he has a larger and more diverse palmares.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. On Fri, 16 May 2003 11:10:39 -0400, Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As for toughness, has anyone yet beaten Eddy's record on an Eddy-bike? That's a nobrainer but I
    >haven't heard it's been done. The kids are so tough today it should be a cinch, right?

    If you mean the hour record then yes -

    Record de l’heure / Hour record RECORD ABSOLU / ABSOLUTE RECORD 49km441 CHRISTOPHER BOARDMAN (GBR)
    27.10.2000 MANCHESTER (GBR)

    here for photos

    http://www.lunt.demon.co.uk/athletes.htm

    Tough enough by 13 metres...

    Regards! Stephen

  7. "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > competition was probably tougher back then.

    No.

    > As for toughness, has anyone yet beaten Eddy's record on an Eddy-bike? That's a nobrainer but I
    > haven't heard it's been done.

    Jeff, read the f*cking news -- like www.cyclingnews.com, etc.. Don't just write and mumble and
    blather. Read and learn.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Jeff Potter
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I hear ya there. Great diversity.
    >
    > Stage, one-day, classics, worlds, track, 6-day.
    >
    > Did M do track? Have such diversity on the road?
    >
    > People talk about cycling being tougher today, but wasn't it bigger in the old days? I'd think
    > it's getting more dilute and that competition was probably tougher back then.
    >
    > Also, it was cooler back then, too.
    >
    > Who in recent years has had the fashionable style of Antiqueil(sp)?
    >
    > Has there been a Hemingway hanging around the track lately?
    >
    > We're lucky to have ol' Sam Abt still reporting on it. After him? Will there be any classy reports
    > from the Paris Bureau?
    >
    > Cyclists today might occasionally still wear Italian fashion but they seem ever more like pro
    > linebackers when they do.
    >
    > Style patrol! Who's got it? I have hopes, of course. It's hard to keep style away from cyclists,
    > but they've been giving it up in spades for years now.
    >
    > As for toughness, has anyone yet beaten Eddy's record on an Eddy-bike? That's a nobrainer but I
    > haven't heard it's been done. The kids are so tough today it should be a cinch, right?

    Chris Boardman holds both the Absolute Hour Record (funny bike) and the UCI Hour Record
    (traditional bike).

    pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

  9. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 May 2003 11:10:39 -0400, Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >As for toughness, has anyone yet beaten Eddy's record on an Eddy-bike? That's a nobrainer but I
    > >haven't heard it's been done. The kids are so tough today it should be a cinch, right?
    >
    > If you mean the hour record then yes -
    >
    > Record de l’heure / Hour record RECORD ABSOLU / ABSOLUTE RECORD 49km441 CHRISTOPHER BOARDMAN (GBR)
    > 27.10.2000 MANCHESTER (GBR)
    >
    > here for photos
    >
    > http://www.lunt.demon.co.uk/athletes.htm
    >
    > Tough enough by 13 metres...

    Cool! Thanks for the news. I'm behind on the news. I figured something might've happened after that
    new "Absolute" rule which put Eddy's bike, at any rate, back in the lead. : )