the pedal click

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bobsbarricades, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bobsbarricades

bobsbarricades New Member

What does it mean if there is a sort of 'click' that you feel more than hear when pedaling and it always occurs in one spot of the rotation?

Tags:

2. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

It means you should service your pedals. :p Maybe check your cleats also. If the bike still clicks then start tightening and servicing other things until you find the source.

3. bobsbarricades

cleats are the actual pedals right? sorry, couldn't be any greener :p

4. Windbreaker

Windbreaker New Member

Nope, the cleat is the bit attached to your shoe. The pedals are the pedals. :p

5. vascdoc

vascdoc New Member

Which brand of pedal and model are you using?

6. bobsbarricades

:) sorry.

The pedal is an EXAGE 400EX on a narrow chain Biopace

What could I 'tighten?'

7. rschleicher

rschleicher New Member

Besides just making sure that the pedal is screwed into the crank arm sufficiently tight, there is also a small possibility of worn bearings within the pedal spindle - which, depending on the pedal brand and design, may or may not be easy to adjust.

If the click is always at the same crank position, independent of gear, etc., then the other possibility is in the attachment of the crank arms to the bottom bracket, or, sloppiness or play in the bottom bracket itself. It is also conceivable, but even less likely, that you have a funky tooth on one of the chain rings, but this would only make noise when that chain ring was being used.

Of course, if the noise is not synchronized to crank or pedal position then the first step is to figure out what rotating part it IS synchronized to: wheel rotation (might be a loose spoke, or a wheel bearing issue), or cassette rotation (same as wheel rotation rate when peddling, but stops when you stop peddling, etc.)

8. Booka Shade

Booka Shade New Member

I've been getting the same thing recently with my Schimano clips where at one point of the rotation I can feel the slightest pop; to me it feels like a bearing.

9. BikingBrian

BikingBrian New Member

I had the same problem as the op starting about 2 months ago, and the clicking was driving me batty. Like rschleicher is saying above, it's important to isolate WHERE the actual sound is coming from. In my case, I could have sworn it was the pedal also....but after changing pedals, switching out the saddle, set of wheels....finally figured out it was the bb, as switching the other components didn't silence it. I put some plumber's tape on the bb threads, tightened, and .....bingo! No more click! Heaven!

10. bobsbarricades

alright, well I will take it to the local shop and tell him about it - see if he can learn me some maintence tips :p

11. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Shimano Exage 400 EX was the precursor to the 105 Series components. They changed the series identifiers in the mid 80's, so your pedals are at least 22 years old. These older pedals needed much more frequent maintenance than the current design pedals. Unless these pedals have been well maintained, you could have a turned or broken bearing causing the noise. The problem with these old Shimano pedals is that it is nearly impossible to get replacement parts for them, most notably the plastic bearing dust caps. These caps get brittle with age and are a bear to remove without them breaking. I refuse to work on any old pedals except for my own for this reason.

12. bobsbarricades

........gee.....sounds awesome......... wow. do do you think an old bianchi frame with new tires, sun rimms M14 II, new cables, new casette for 225 was a good deal?

The exage stuff really doesn't look that old. It looks maybe 5 years - theres exage derailers and brakes on there - metalic blue sort of color-

13. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Check out this link. http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html#exage If you read a little in here, it will show you that the Exage Group was replaced by the Alivio prior to 1997, so it is definitely older than 5 years. The only reason that I know this much is that my 1987 Raliegh had Exage 500 EX and the 1988 models had 105 components.

14. bobsbarricades

didn't mean to sound defensive in the last post - just reread it and realized the tone. More or less suprised at they hold so long. The exage pictured above look about in the same condition. After 10+ years I guess I just expect more wear, especially the way I use things :p

15. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

That crankset was produced from '90-'92, according to Sheldon Brown.

16. pistole

pistole New Member

one of my roadies made a very distinct "click" sound when I climb standing. The sound also appeared exactly when the right crank bottomed out. I thought pedal and/or BB.

turned out to be a lightly tightened front wheel skewer allowing the skewer to "click" against the fork-dropouts.

live and learn.

17. cjohns33

cjohns33 New Member

Hey guys,

I've also had a problem with pedal click. This problem started about two weeks ago. Just out of the blue I started to get a click on both power strokes. I've tightened the crank nuts as far as I can, but the click is still there. Its always at about three o'clock (straight forward) on each pedal. When I'm off the bike, I can take hold of one of the pedals and move it left and right a few millimeters. The chainrings and the opposite pedal also move with this motion. Is there anything else I can do to try to fix this or will I have to replace some parts? Thanks!

18. Randy Bosma

Randy Bosma New Member

Sounds like a bottom bracket problem. It may be time for a visit to your LBS's service dept. unless you do your own repairs.