The Pedestrian on Path Overtake Conundrum

bob12345

Apr 17, 2003
Howdy folks. Anyone else find it annoying when on pavements/cycle paths and overtaking pedestrians? It is impossible not to make them flinch about 10 feet, accuse you of being a young whippersnapper, and tell you to get on the road.

I even had an old couple get peeved after I "belled" them once to get them to stop hogging the path, and move over.

Curses, I hate to be hated, but overtaking pedestrians seems to be a no-win situation. Any tips?

Argh. I don't like overtaking people on cyclepaths around here. Most people hog the path (ie. a group spread out over the whole path or a couple taking up 3/4 of it, etc.) and it makes me nervous passing them at speed because if they trip or otherwise move into my path while passing I'd get the blame, of course.

Or maybe I think too much about what could happen. I don't have a bell. I'm not a big fan of using bells, either. (Some people panic, yes I have seen it happen) I do, however, have Hydro discs, and almost always have my index fingers on the levers ready to slow down or stop. 99% of the time I slow down when I feel as if someone is going to cross my path when I'm speeding on the dual-use path.

I don't know. I don't particularly like riding on the road too much around here. Drivers in my area are, 99% of the time, sane, but there is always that 1% who scare me.

My 2c..

Originally posted by bob12345
I even had an old couple get peeved after I "belled" them once to get them to stop hogging the path, and move over.

Curses, I hate to be hated, but overtaking pedestrians seems to be a no-win situation. Any tips?

Hmmmm.... I usually have two words for such people: 'Bite me', or sometimes something a little more vulgar.

I stopped caring what pedestrians thought of cyclists like me sharing the paths with them because that's what all users are supposed to do: share the path. I stay to the right, I don't recklessly pass, I look before I pass, and (most importantly) I pay attention so I know what's going on around me. I play by the rules. If all path users did, then there wouldn't be any problems.

If pedestrians are startled that a bicyclist comes up behind them and bells them to pass because they are hogging the path, that's their problem and it doesn't cause me any sort of concern.

So long as I obey the rules of the path/road, whatever pedestrians might happen to think of my insistence on them sharing the path/road like I do is completely irrelevant to me.

Reactions: m0fugga
Originally posted by Loki
I'm not a big fan of using bells, either. (Some people panic, yes I have seen it happen)

Most pedestrians that I run across on the urban paved path I cycle on are completely oblivious to whats going on around them. Bell them, yell 'On your left!', it doesn't matter, they're surprised all the same. Some people will even hop out onto the left half of the path when you yell that instead of staying where they're supposed to stay (on the right here in the states).

I don't relish startling pedestrians when I share a path with them. But it also isn't my job to insist that they simply be aware of what's going on around them. I use the same paths to walk with my SO and baby, I can tell you I am constantly aware of who/what might be coming up behind us and we always stay to the right half of the path like we're supposed to. It isn't all that difficult, paying attention and staying to the right, but apparently this is a monumental challenge for many pedestrians.

As long as I obey the path rules while cycling, its the pedestrians who have to do their share to avoid accidents.

Reactions: m0fugga
regular users of bike paths are ok, espcially single joggers/walkers because they know what to expect. But i know when i'm walking on a path with a mate or girlfriend, you want to walk next to them as you chat away. It wouldn't be much fun walking with a friend in a single file! I got into the habit or checking behind to see what's coming up.

It is frustrating when you ring the bell once or twice, some people go left, some stop and turn around, others go right.

Guess you just have to be careful all the time ;-)

Personally I avoid bike paths like the plague, even if they are the better option (which is extremely rare around here). Up here some of the conflicts between cyclists and pedestrians have turned violent, the sort of thing I'd rather avoid. It should also be noted that many paths have a 15km/h speed limit (or lower) - something else I'd rather avoid.

In all seriousness, I just feel safer riding on the road.

Originally posted by Chris_L
Personally I avoid bike paths like the plague, even if they are the better option (which is extremely rare around here). Up here some of the conflicts between cyclists and pedestrians have turned violent, the sort of thing I'd rather avoid. It should also be noted that many paths have a 15km/h speed limit (or lower) - something else I'd rather avoid.

In all seriousness, I just feel safer riding on the road.

So do I. But my tax dollars helped to pay for the paved urban paths in my town no less than pedestrians, I'm going to use them. Not out of spite, but because they're fun: they are right next to the Bay and are just really pleasurable to ride on.

I had a mild conflict with a couple of bonehead pedestrians on my commute this afternoon. The two morons were walking side-by-side, but right down the middle of the path. I pass on the left and get a 'Thanks for the warning!' from one of them, which get a middle finger from me.

Wow, you should have heard the foul language out of his mouth after that and all the threats to call the pole-lease and to 'beat (my) ass' and all that. Man, I tell you: I was SCARED..... not...

Same old story: if he'd been obeying the rules like everyone else, there wouldn't have been a problem. But that would mean that he would have to admit that he has to share with others who have just as much a right to be there as him....

Originally posted by anonymous94040
So do I. But my tax dollars helped to pay for the paved urban paths in my town no less than pedestrians, I'm going to use them. Not out of spite, but because they're fun: they are right next to the Bay and are just really pleasurable to ride on.

Well, as I said, if you want to fight with pedestrians, obey a 15km/h speed limit and not actually go anywhere, feel free. There are a lot of things our taxes pay for that we don't use. Unfortunately, dealing with pedestrians is simply part of riding on the path - including those who don't follow the rules (the same way dealing with drivers who fail to follow the laws is part of riding on the road), and unless we want to live in a fascist police state (wouldn't bother me too much, but others might have issues), it's just a fact of life.

Well, as I said, if you want to fight with pedestrians, obey a 15km/h speed limit and not actually go anywhere, feel free. There are a lot of things our taxes pay for that we don't use. Unfortunately, dealing with pedestrians is simply part of riding on the path - including those who don't follow the rules (the same way dealing with drivers who fail to follow the laws is part of riding on the road), and unless we want to live in a fascist police state (wouldn't bother me too much, but others might have issues), it's just a fact of life.

I don't fight with pedestrians. I obey the rules of the path like I'm supposed to, I mind my own business, and I want to be left alone. I don't speed, I don't put anyone else in danger, the only ones who are endangered have put themselves in that situation.

Call me stubborn, but the only people who have a problem with cyclists on the paved paths near me are other people. If they don't like it, they can kiss my ass.

I never call out to anyone on the bike path even when you go by "that couple that walks side to side in the middle". I lower my speed first. Then try and make some clicking noise by changing a gear or something. If the don't figure out I'm going by I just go up onto the grass. Oh well. The trouble I go through to avoid talking...

I find there are some paths inhabited by stupid pedestrians and some where bikes rule the path.

Originally posted by tli
I find there are some paths inhabited by stupid pedestrians and some where bikes rule the path.

I just read all the posts...I always thought pavement/sidewalks were just for little kids on bikes. I stopped riding my bike on sidewalks when I hit 16 or so. To me, the street is for adult cyclists, the sidewalk is for kiddie cyclists.

don't you hate it when those pesky cyclists are hogging the road, then when u try to overtake them they yell obsenities at you or give you the bird. even when u give them a little "honk" they get peeved.

Originally posted by HellonWheels
I just read all the posts...I always thought pavement/sidewalks were just for little kids on bikes. I stopped riding my bike on sidewalks when I hit 16 or so. To me, the street is for adult cyclists, the sidewalk is for kiddie cyclists.

no, they are shared paths.

YEAH!!!! I DO wonder why cyclist get mad with just a little honk.....sounds a lot like you cyclist-pysco with your crappy little bells huh?

THEY ARE SHARED PATHS!!! YOU MUST YEILD TO PEDESTRIANS

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I only hog the path when I see a cyclist barrelling towards me. I have stuck a big stick in cyclists tires when they go by too fast. Once they hit the ground I RUNNNNNN!!!!

By the way, thanks to those who have respect for their fellow humans and slow down......I always say thanks to people like that.

i walk the pathways as much as i bike them and i've seen how SOME indifference gets ALL bikers blacklisted from shared pathways... "sorry about that" goes a longer way than "bite me".

I think that the universal maxim applies here.
I live in an area where there are many "bicycle trails"; some paved and some limestone screening covered.
The nearly equivalent of 15 km/h speed limit of 8 MPH applies.
That is quite difficult for me to deal with, but it is the law.
On the rare occasion that I do ride one of these paths, I find that walkers/joggers/runnners/bladers/cyclist that use headphones are most difficult to communicate with. I know that they made the choice and that they are "abiding by the law", but they just don't hear my "on your left" communications.
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL (near Chicago)

What kind of management is needed for those who have thrown a pedestrian (including children) to the ground and have fled the scene?