The Pedestrian on Path Overtake Conundrum

bob12345

Apr 17, 2003
Howdy folks. Anyone else find it annoying when on pavements/cycle paths and overtaking pedestrians? It is impossible not to make them flinch about 10 feet, accuse you of being a young whippersnapper, and tell you to get on the road.

I even had an old couple get peeved after I "belled" them once to get them to stop hogging the path, and move over.

Curses, I hate to be hated, but overtaking pedestrians seems to be a no-win situation. Any tips?

I would never ride on a footpath, that's strictly for pedestrian traffic IMO (and more dangerous than riding on the road, noone expects traffic going 20-odd kph there!)

Pedestrian traffic on cycle paths and shared paths can sometimes be a bit of a problem though.

Most of my commute is on a cycle path, and I've found the best thing to do is to ring your bell a few times when you are a good 8-10 seconds away .. and then once again about 5 seconds later (if they haven't already heard it and moved across if necessary.) I guess hearing some faint dings, then a louder one, prepares them for a passing cyclist.

If they persist in hogging the lane, I'll slow right to a crawl behind them and politely ask them to move aside (this very rarely happens though, people seem to be pretty much OK around the shared paths here, well except for certain 'hot spots'..) Sure it kills your momentum, but it's a cycle path, not a time-trial circuit :)

If there's a large gathering, and the off-path terrain isn't so bad, well there's always that option :) It's easier to just do that than expect a gaggle of people to move aside.

Howdy folks. Anyone else find it annoying when on pavements/cycle paths and overtaking pedestrians? It is impossible not to make them flinch about 10 feet, accuse you of being a young whippersnapper, and tell you to get on the road.

I dunno, I don't ride on cycle paths. I mostly go on deserted side roads and off-road dirt/paved roads.

I did ride through the center of the town south of me yesterday, and that was a pain in the butt (riding on the sidewalk of course). that and the fact that the street lights are so darn close to the buildings. :rolleyes: