The perfect cycle computer

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by dazman, May 1, 2007.

1. dazman

dazman New Member

Stealing the idea from the perfect sw thread. What would the perfect cycle computer have that is not available today?

My main requests would be:

- At least 6 key items of data onscreen at once. Speed, Power, Cadence, HR, SW & distance
    - Gradient, altitude and temperature all viewable onscreen not only in file
    - A light that works
    - upgradable memory
    - Bluetooth download

Tags:

2. andrello

andrello New Member

Yes. The main thing I would prefer is multiple (as in more than the typical 3) pieces of info displayed simultaneously so that you don't have to thumb through menus.

3. djconnel

djconnel New Member

Speed, power, gradient, altitude, GPS position, direction, relative wind speed, iBike-like power estimation for CdA and possible Crr estimation, HR, air temperature, body temperature, timer, time of day. iPhone-like interface, or Bluetooth to laptop. Programmable settings. Ability to locate nearby businesses (iPhone-inspired). Script-programmable with, for example, embedded Tcl, to allow such things as TSS estimation using user's favorite algorithm, CTL, ATL, TSS. Embedded camera, especially useful for traffic incidents. Wireless, of course. Compatible with conventional NVM for easy swapping when traveling.

4. psmalley

psmalley New Member

With more than 3 lines of data I'd ride off the road tryin' to read the thing. :)

5. AshesGlory

AshesGlory New Member

Audible alarm when my average power for the interval drops below a preset threshold.

6. kopride

kopride Member

I am running a Shimano Flight Deck which gives me speed, ride time (or I set it for distance) and gear. My PT 2.4 is showing power, HR and cadence. Two computers, but it is nice to have all that info at a glance without scrolling through. Eventually, power and GPS will be integrated in one unit and that is the ticket.

7. dazman

dazman New Member

I want the Djconnel pro!

I think it's time a vendor started to think about using a proper LCD matrix screen, rather than the old pre assigned field technology they all still seem to be using. Or, concentrate on sensor only technology and leave the display/computer to software on a Java compatible phones as they have already solved this problem and will always be streets ahead.

That way I could just connect my Nokia/et al, hit the Computer function(java app) and away I go. It picks up all the sensor info via bluetooth. It doesn't add any weight as we all ride with our cellphones anyway. I can choose 6 functions per screen, and those that want 3 can have it that way too! Anyone out there capable of writing a PT softcomputer in java!!!???

Then we would be able to configure our own preferences. Really if they went to bluetooth and put more technology into the sensors, they could

8. djconnel

djconnel New Member

9. Ergoman

Ergoman New Member

I'll take the same model but with the following enhancements:

Reliability, consistency and accuracy in the power readings.
    Durability. It should last a few years of under hard use in the elements.
    Clean installation, no wires or pods or sensors dangling everywhere.
    Only one battery that lasts a week and is easily recharged.
    Easy installation and transfer from bike to bike.
    No requirement for special wheels, cranks, hubs, bottom brackets, etc.
    Plenty of data logging capacity (memory).
    Priced less than $1000 USD.

10. gogoturtle

gogoturtle New Member

Easy: Combination Garmin Edge 305 (with a longer battery life and better mapping) and powermeter.

11. Jim@Quarq

[email protected] New Member

"I think it's time a vendor started to think about using a proper LCD matrix screen..."

We agree 100%. See our blog entry: "Booted." djconnel will get a large number of his requested features on our unit. (But not everything, that is quite a list....)

James Meyer
    Quarq Technology

12. dazman

dazman New Member

You guys could get a jump start if you just made a powertap 2.4 replacement CPU. I.e take the data from powertap sensor and provide 6 items of display on a lcd matrix screen, together with the addition of altitude and temp from a CPU unit sensor - would be perfect for now! Your crank box still looks some ways off!

13. patrick_

patrick_ New Member

HUD glasses and voice control would be nice ;)

14. webbhost

webbhost New Member

shaped as a USB dongle for easy PC uplink, links upto a glasses HUD (as patrick just suggested) - hud should state current speed, average speed etc.. everythuing that is currently available. Should have built in GPS location along with altitude readings, and have PC software to enable you to plan journeys.

An automatic 999 dialer would also be nice if it can detect when you have been hit by a car door.

15. vladav

vladav New Member

Highly detailed, programmable workouts with alarms, al la Garmin 305, plus:

1) Selectable alarm sounds.
    2) Selectable volume (Higer volume range too)
    3) Pickup for power meter output (via USB or wireless)
    4) Color display
    5) Selectable visual alerts, ie. alternating background/foreground colors (Instead of those stupid messages which obstruct the data fields.)
    6) 18+ hour battery life. For size & Aero a dongle batery would be fine.
    7) ~56 hours of memory
    8) Mounting option similar to SRM - straight out and level with (or below) handlebar. The 305 sits too high and is at risk in a crash.
    9) Temp and Press.
    10) Frontal Windspeed, Yaw angle if possible.
    11) Gear (53x19) (probably via software.)

Would this be bulky? Maybe.
    Would it be better than 2 or 3 computers. Definitely.

16. varglesnarg

varglesnarg New Member

A GPS is by far the best solution for me. Elevation, routes, speed, waypoints. Garmin even makes a gps specially for bicycle riders that includes candence.