The pies are made!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Karen AKA Kajikit, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. I procrastinated till this afternoon, so then I had to have a
    pie-making fest to get them all done! The end result is five pies, all
    made with a sweet short pastry base - apple/blackberry (fresh apples
    and frozen blackberries), peach (tinned), homemade fruitmince (apple,
    currants, golden raisins, raisins and cherries), Damsel's pecan
    cheesecake pie, and a traditional pumpkin pie (tinned pumpkin and
    using the recipe on the can). Here's hoping they're all delicous,
    because I can't sample them! I was going to make a chocolate
    marshmallow pie with a peanutbutter crumbcrust but I'm too exhausted
    now. Maybe tomorrow morning before we go, but I really suspect we
    won't need it...

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

    Tags:

  2. Jude

    Jude Guest

    darn, i'm so stuck on my dessert.......since I'm gonna be cooking
    everything Weds and packing it in a cooler for a long drive Thurs, i
    don't want to do a fruit pie - I prefer a crumb topping to a top crust,
    but those get soggy the 2nd day, especially with no oven to warm and
    crisp them. So pie is out unless its a pecan or something. I'm thinking
    about a cranberry pound cake maybe, but I just can't settle on the
    perfect dessert. And I love to bake; i'm a dessert farn. Why am I
    hitting Chef's Block?

    maybe its becasueI've never been limited to just 1 dessert for
    Thanksgiving. My family usually does about 6 or 8, but with only 2
    people, more than 1 (maybe 2 ) would be overkill.

  3. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On 22 Nov 2005 16:15:26 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >darn, i'm so stuck on my dessert.......since I'm gonna be cooking
    >everything Weds and packing it in a cooler for a long drive Thurs, i
    >don't want to do a fruit pie - I prefer a crumb topping to a top crust,
    >but those get soggy the 2nd day, especially with no oven to warm and
    >crisp them. So pie is out unless its a pecan or something. I'm thinking
    >about a cranberry pound cake maybe, but I just can't settle on the
    >perfect dessert. And I love to bake; i'm a dessert farn. Why am I
    >hitting Chef's Block?
    >
    >maybe its becasueI've never been limited to just 1 dessert for
    >Thanksgiving. My family usually does about 6 or 8, but with only 2
    >people, more than 1 (maybe 2 ) would be overkill.

    Why not do some exotic cookies?

    Boron

  4. Spitzmaus

    Spitzmaus Guest

    Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

    > I procrastinated till this afternoon, so then I had to have a
    > pie-making fest to get them all done! The end result is five pies, all
    > made with a sweet short pastry base - apple/blackberry (fresh apples
    > and frozen blackberries), peach (tinned), homemade fruitmince (apple,
    > currants, golden raisins, raisins and cherries), Damsel's pecan
    > cheesecake pie, and a traditional pumpkin pie (tinned pumpkin and
    > using the recipe on the can). Here's hoping they're all delicous,
    > because I can't sample them! I was going to make a chocolate
    > marshmallow pie with a peanutbutter crumbcrust but I'm too exhausted
    > now. Maybe tomorrow morning before we go, but I really suspect we
    > won't need it...
    >
    > --
    > ~Karen aka Kajikit
    > Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    > http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    > Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit

    Goodness, what a marathon!! I salute you in your efforts, and I've no doubt
    your pies will be wonderful!

    Care to part with your "sweet short pastry base" recipe? I'm never
    satisfied with the ones I make.

    Spitz
    --
    "Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

  5. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    I'm making pies tomorrow. Was going to keep it to the Tassies I made and
    froze last week and a pumpkin pie, but Dear Daughter says apple is her
    favorite. So, since she's 11 I thought I'd have her help me make an apple
    pie too. I'm always looking for a good pie crust recipe as I'm pie crust
    challenged.

    Lynne

    "Karen AKA Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I procrastinated till this afternoon, so then I had to have a
    > pie-making fest to get them all done! The end result is five pies, all
    > made with a sweet short pastry base - apple/blackberry (fresh apples
    > and frozen blackberries), peach (tinned), homemade fruitmince (apple,
    > currants, golden raisins, raisins and cherries), Damsel's pecan
    > cheesecake pie, and a traditional pumpkin pie (tinned pumpkin and
    > using the recipe on the can). Here's hoping they're all delicous,
    > because I can't sample them! I was going to make a chocolate
    > marshmallow pie with a peanutbutter crumbcrust but I'm too exhausted
    > now. Maybe tomorrow morning before we go, but I really suspect we
    > won't need it...
    >
    > --
    > ~Karen aka Kajikit
    > Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    > http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    > Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit

  6. deepeddygirl

    deepeddygirl Guest

    King's Crown wrote:

    > I'm making pies tomorrow. Was going to keep it to the Tassies I made and
    > froze last week and a pumpkin pie, but Dear Daughter says apple is her
    > favorite. So, since she's 11 I thought I'd have her help me make an apple
    > pie too. I'm always looking for a good pie crust recipe as I'm pie crust
    > challenged.
    >
    > Lynne
    >
    > "Karen AKA Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I procrastinated till this afternoon, so then I had to have a
    >>pie-making fest to get them all done! The end result is five pies, all
    >>made with a sweet short pastry base - apple/blackberry (fresh apples
    >>and frozen blackberries), peach (tinned), homemade fruitmince (apple,
    >>currants, golden raisins, raisins and cherries), Damsel's pecan
    >>cheesecake pie, and a traditional pumpkin pie (tinned pumpkin and
    >>using the recipe on the can). Here's hoping they're all delicous,
    >>because I can't sample them! I was going to make a chocolate
    >>marshmallow pie with a peanutbutter crumbcrust but I'm too exhausted
    >>now. Maybe tomorrow morning before we go, but I really suspect we
    >>won't need it...
    >>
    >>--
    >>~Karen aka Kajikit
    >>Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    >>http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    >>Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit

    My momma's recipe has been handed down in our family for *years* - way
    before my great-grandmother, so at least 100 years. It's very flaky. We
    use this recipe for all of our pies, adding spices to compliment the
    pie. For example, for an apple pie, we add 1/2 teas cinnamon and 1/4
    teas nutmeg.

    Her secret is not handling the dough with her hands *at all*. I use the
    back of a spoon to compress the dough into the bottom of the bowl, and a
    kitchen knife to cut it in half. The only time my hands touch the dough
    is to lift it onto the wax paper. I lay another piece of wax paper on it
    and roll away. Of course, you have to handle the edges when you crimp
    them, but that's it!

    2-Crust Pie Crust (for 8" or 9" pie)

    2 cups flour
    1/2 teas. salt
    1 teas. sugar
    3/4 cup Crisco
    1/4 plus 2 TBSP milk (cold, straight from the fridge)

    Mix together the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening with a pastry
    cutter until it has a fine grain - like coarse cornmeal. Pour 1/4 cup of
    milk over the mixture. Use the back of a spoon to mix and press down
    into the bottom of the bowl. If it's too crumbly add 1 TBSP of milk. If
    you have to, add the second TBSP, but no more than that.

    I usually cut it roughly in half. I use the slightly larger half for the
    bottom crust. Enjoy! :)

  7. On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:27:18 -0500, Boron Elgar
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 22 Nov 2005 16:15:26 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>darn, i'm so stuck on my dessert.......And I love to bake; i'm a dessert farn. Why am I
    >>hitting Chef's Block?
    >>

    >Why not do some exotic cookies?

    I made a Key Lime pie using the last of the key limes from my tree
    before it was knocked over by Hurricane Wilma. :-(

    It'll be great on Thanksgiving.

    ttfn,
    jan

  8. On Tue 22 Nov 2005 04:59:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Karen AKA
    Kajikit?

    > I procrastinated till this afternoon, so then I had to have a
    > pie-making fest to get them all done! The end result is five pies, all
    > made with a sweet short pastry base - apple/blackberry (fresh apples
    > and frozen blackberries), peach (tinned), homemade fruitmince (apple,
    > currants, golden raisins, raisins and cherries), Damsel's pecan
    > cheesecake pie, and a traditional pumpkin pie (tinned pumpkin and
    > using the recipe on the can). Here's hoping they're all delicous,
    > because I can't sample them! I was going to make a chocolate
    > marshmallow pie with a peanutbutter crumbcrust but I'm too exhausted
    > now. Maybe tomorrow morning before we go, but I really suspect we
    > won't need it...

    Your pies sound wonderful, and I know I would especially love your apple-
    blackberry pie!

    I worked all day, so couldn't do the pies today. Tonight I've already
    baked my cornbread for the dressing, and will still bake a few biscuits to
    mix with it. Works better if they can dry out a bit. To the cornbread
    batter I added some poultry seasoning, onion, and a hint of garlic.

    I've already made my mincemeat filling (no meat, just suet), and tomorrow
    will bake my pies. There will be mince, pumpkin, and pecan. Think I
    changed my mind from the last time I posted.

    I'm aiming for minimal cooking on T-day, so will cook or prep almost
    everything else tomorrow as well. That will just leave the turkey, mashed
    potatoes and gravy to make from scratch on Thursday.

    That should bring stress levels down a bit. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  9. deepeddygirl

    deepeddygirl Guest

    deepeddygirl wrote:

    > King's Crown wrote:
    >
    >> I'm making pies tomorrow. Was going to keep it to the Tassies I made
    >> and froze last week and a pumpkin pie, but Dear Daughter says apple is
    >> her favorite. So, since she's 11 I thought I'd have her help me make
    >> an apple pie too. I'm always looking for a good pie crust recipe as
    >> I'm pie crust challenged.
    >>
    >> Lynne
    >>
    >> "Karen AKA Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>> I procrastinated till this afternoon, so then I had to have a
    >>> pie-making fest to get them all done! The end result is five pies, all
    >>> made with a sweet short pastry base - apple/blackberry (fresh apples
    >>> and frozen blackberries), peach (tinned), homemade fruitmince (apple,
    >>> currants, golden raisins, raisins and cherries), Damsel's pecan
    >>> cheesecake pie, and a traditional pumpkin pie (tinned pumpkin and
    >>> using the recipe on the can). Here's hoping they're all delicous,
    >>> because I can't sample them! I was going to make a chocolate
    >>> marshmallow pie with a peanutbutter crumbcrust but I'm too exhausted
    >>> now. Maybe tomorrow morning before we go, but I really suspect we
    >>> won't need it...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ~Karen aka Kajikit
    >>> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    >>> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    >>> Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit

    > My momma's recipe has been handed down in our family for *years* - way
    > before my great-grandmother, so at least 100 years. It's very flaky. We
    > use this recipe for all of our pies, adding spices to compliment the
    > pie. For example, for an apple pie, we add 1/2 teas cinnamon and 1/4
    > teas nutmeg.
    >
    > Her secret is not handling the dough with her hands *at all*. I use the
    > back of a spoon to compress the dough into the bottom of the bowl, and a
    > kitchen knife to cut it in half. The only time my hands touch the dough
    > is to lift it onto the wax paper. I lay another piece of wax paper on it
    > and roll away. Of course, you have to handle the edges when you crimp
    > them, but that's it!
    >
    > 2-Crust Pie Crust (for 8" or 9" pie)
    >
    > 2 cups flour
    > 1/2 teas. salt
    > 1 teas. sugar
    > 3/4 cup Crisco
    > 1/4 plus 2 TBSP milk (cold, straight from the fridge)
    >
    > Mix together the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening with a pastry
    > cutter until it has a fine grain - like coarse cornmeal. Pour 1/4 cup of
    > milk over the mixture. Use the back of a spoon to mix and press down
    > into the bottom of the bowl. If it's too crumbly add 1 TBSP of milk. If
    > you have to, add the second TBSP, but no more than that.
    >
    > I usually cut it roughly in half. I use the slightly larger half for the
    > bottom crust. Enjoy! :)

    I need to make a small correction - it's 1 TBSP of sugar, not 1 TEAS. I
    would be interested in comments if anyone tries the recipe. I used half
    the crust for a Ruth's Chris Dutch Apple pie and the other half for a
    pumpkin pie (baking right now). Most people tell me the crust is as tasy
    as the pie. I usually add spices to the crust that compliment the
    filling. The crusts for the apple and pumpkin pies have cinnamon and
    nutmeg in them.

    Bon appetit! :)