The Power of Belief

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by andycookuk, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    GREETINGS ALL.
    I discovered something today and I want to share it with the rest of
    this forum.

    I consider unicycling a series of challenges. The first challenge may
    be to sit on the unicycle, the second to ride forward and so on.

    Just recently I set myself the challenge of hopping onto a bench.

    For many days I tried to jump as high as I could onto my bench but I
    could not make it. I became more and more frustrated even though I know
    I am physically able to jump three or four times that height!

    I COULD NOT REACH MY GOAL!

    Why?
    I realised just this morning that whenever I tried to hop onto the
    bench, I was hopping with reserve. I feared falling and hurting myself
    and I knew that the higher I hopped, the more danger I put myself in.

    I was stopping myself from achieving my goal through fear!

    After this revelation I marched down the road and up to the dreaded
    bench.

    Once I -understood -why I was not achieving my goal I was able to
    progress. I reasoned with my fear and subdued it.

    I -truly- knew I could make it onto the bench this time and I did!
    First time! With height to spare!

    Why not apply this to every challenge? I'm sure there are many people
    out there in the same situation I was, perhaps more advanced though ;)
    ! Try it!

    I now know that if I believe that I can do something, I will do it. It
    is only in disbelief that we fail.

    _What_do_you_think?_
    Maybe this is the biggest pile of bull that you have ever heard. Ever.
    What is your take? Please share your opinions with the forum, that's
    how we can help each other to progress.

    PS. When I say that through belief we can do anything, (excuse the
    Disney cliche), I am not saying that I will walk on walls! _Remember_,
    you will only believe that you can do something if you know inside that
    you can!

    Thankyou,
    AndyC :)

    --
    andycookuk

    "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    Socrates 500BC
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

  2. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    Thank you Brendy! That is exactly what I am talking about!

    Thank god that I'm not the only one thinking along the same lines -I'm
    not going crazy after all!

    The challenge is then -how to self realise your potential? Does just
    telling yourself that you can do something always work?

    Ahh the eternal inner battle *sigh*

    Hahahaha! This is getting heavy!

    More comments?
    AndyC (The one and only)

    --
    andycookuk

    "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    Socrates 500BC
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

  3. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

  4. chosen

    chosen Guest

    andycookuk wrote:

    > How do you work yourself up to trying new things?

    ummm, fail a lot. ive been riding for a long time, so normally, if its
    like trick i have to 'work my self up for', like a unispin about a yr
    ago, i just kept jumping spinning and not landing until i finally
    landed it. im doing the same with 360's now. also i listen to music
    sometimes that helps. i guess in general, to work yourself up to a
    trick, just dont think and do. dig it

    --
    chosen

    respectfully,
    jonny
    *'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/cyq4q)*
    :)i love this end up:)
    chosen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9281

  5. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    'A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move
    with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.'

    --
    andycookuk

    "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    Socrates 500BC
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

  6. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    Yeh, music helps me aswell! It doesn't matter what music, anything.

    It seems that generally, it's hardest to do it first time (like
    unspins). Once you have done something new, you know that it isn't that
    bad after all :)

    On the Koxx-One website there is a caption by Yoggi explaining his
    technique (www.koxx-one.com):
    "...my secret is no fear, my technic is to take off the brain !"

    There is a samaurai quote somewhere that is roughly translated to:
    "No mind"
    It can be applied to any sport really. I use it for Freerunning. Silent
    meditation for a second just before I do a big jump helps calm me down
    a lot too. I'll definately try that with unicycling too.

    This thread is turning into me ranting! Someone please comment so I
    feel less stupid!

    AndyC

    --
    andycookuk

    "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    Socrates 500BC
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

  7. squeegy

    squeegy Guest

    Thanks for your help, Andy. I was just recently trying to hop up two
    pallets but I didn't have the motivation to do it. A mistake I made was
    hopping in place and asking my cousin if he thought it was a high
    enough hop to make it up, and of course he said no. So, I was to scared
    to actually try.

    But, with advice you just gave I should hopefully be motivated to at
    least try.

    --
    squeegy

    ▲▲▲
    I spent no time thinking about this post
    squeegy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8521

  8. One on one

    One on one Guest

    14 years old. Within 8-10 years I can see you as a famous motivational
    speaker. I actually thought that I was listening to an infomercial. I
    had my credit card ready and was just looking for the 1-800 phone
    number to place my order for the product that you were selling.

    You have discovered a very important fact about succeeding. Great job.

    --
    One on one

    "I went further than I had planned and had a testicle break at about 25
    ks"
    -onebyone

    "I know that my rides have far more to gain from me becoming a better
    rider than from me buying shiny new toys."
    -Johnhimsworth
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

  9. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    One on one -Thanks! I'm chuffed! I'm so happy that I have realised this
    so soon! I thought that posting my "revelation" would help people
    understand as I do.

    It as at least helped on person, squeegy so my goal has been achieved
    :)

    Squeegy -Whenever I asked my brother if I would be able to do something
    new, he nearly always said "no" and I usually ended up succeeding
    anyway! I quickly decided to stop asking him :) He only made me hold
    back! Some people are more entheusiastic and encouraging than others! I
    am so stoked that I have helped you in any way possible
    Go for it!

    Mission accomplished,
    AndyC II

    --
    andycookuk

    "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    Socrates 500BC
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

  10. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    Seriously, what do people think? Am I just talking a load of bull?

    I'm thinking of putting the post into the "Articals and Tutorials"
    section -this is just a test run to see how people responded.

    All comments and opinions wanted,
    AndyC

    --
    andycookuk

    "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    Socrates 500BC
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

  11. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    I don't think you're a load of bull at all.

    Not only is unicycling a physical thing, but it's just as much of a
    mental thing. I think that, generally, it's easy to forget most of the
    mental aspect involved as time goes on and things that were once hard
    are no longer so. For instance, just plain forward riding once posed
    an incredible challenge to me. Now, to quote Kris Holm, "It's easier
    than walking."

    I call what you're describing to "Zen-out." One of the skills that has
    helped me do this more efficiently is still standing. It allows me to
    clear my mind, and to focus/concentrate on my next objective.

    A lot of what I do is tell myself, "I can do this. I can do this."
    This works more so for something that I'm trying for the second time.
    I try to convince myself mentally that I can physically do what I'm
    trying to do again, because I have done it before.

    Early on this past summer I had a mental block about hopping onto stuff
    that was over the height of my tire. Physically I could hop 30"...but
    mentally I was worried about hopping onto things quite lower than that!
    Since then, I've gotten over that, and then some!

    One of the greatest aspects of unicycling is that is it very calculated
    for the most part, due to its slow pace. I KNOW when I cannot do/try
    to do something. Then again, I know also when I can block out my fears
    ("Zen-out"), and push the limits. I don't forget/ignore the risks, I
    just drown everything else out of my mind and vision, and just tunnel
    in on what I'm doing. Depending on what you're trying to acheive it
    could take a lot of mental will and determination to not "psych"
    yourself out with fear. If I can't get something after a few tries, or
    start getting scared, I'll go try something that I know I can
    do--because I know that I won't make it, and'll probably end up hurting
    myself more than anything. It gives me something to shoot for during
    the next ride, for which I'll be stoked about getting out there and
    "clearing it" as soon as I can (usually).

    There's more you could say about this whole subject, like learning how
    to crash/fall without hurting yourself. I've gotten myself out of some
    sticky situations before.

    There are also those rare times when you want to kick yourself for
    screwing up on something that is ridiculously easy to you, and that
    you've done over a "thousand" times with no problems at all. Haha,
    those are the most frustrating situations for me as a trials rider.
    They make me want to not only throw my unicycle, but kick myself! So,
    there's also an ability to properly focus and manage a positive,
    determined attitude, simply because those situations can make or break
    the success of your ride.

    later,
    Evan

    --
    TrialsUni
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

  12. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    TrialsUni- You are absolutely right about about everything you said :)
    Pushing the limits of your capabilities is just as mental as it is
    physical!
    If we do not believe we can achieve, we do not!
    It seems to timelessly perfect and simple!

    Like you said, it is important to know your physical limits. You always
    know what you actully "cannot" do. I don't think these situations
    should be considered failure, but another challenge!

    I'd love to learn more about still standing. Is it similar to what I
    do; silent meditation?

    Self belief is making the rationality control base instinct of self
    preservation.

    Self belief is all about self control.

    Thanks for the comments!
    Any more opinions?! Keep them coming!

    AndyC :)

    --
    andycookuk

    "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    Socrates 500BC
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

  13. Naomi

    Naomi Guest

    "andycookuk" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]t.Unicyclist.com...

    > Maybe this is the biggest pile of bull that you have ever heard. Ever.
    > What is your take? Please share your opinions with the forum, that's
    > how we can help each other to progress.
    >
    > PS. When I say that through belief we can do anything, (excuse the
    > Disney cliche), I am not saying that I will walk on walls! _Remember_,
    > you will only believe that you can do something if you know inside that
    > you can!

    In no way is this the proverbial pile of BS. I discovered this, in
    another field entirely many years ago. Once you have created the self
    confidence that you CAN do something, the chances are much greater that you
    will.
    Go in with a negative or tentative attitude and you will find it a lot
    harder to succeed.

    Nao

    --
    So many people these days "search for the zero inside themselves". A
    proportion fail to find even that.

  14. Dancowling

    Dancowling Guest

    Hey i only read the 1st post so i dont know what everyone else has said,
    but i can that the same thing happend with me and handrails i knew i
    could do bigger ones, but that friggen fear was stopping me, and
    stopped me for ages, untill i faced it and was doin large rails easy
    from then on, but be fore i tryed faced my fear i knew i could do them,
    but the fear just held me back, but when u face that fear and land the
    trick, it's the best feeling, so go out there and face those fears
    dudes or you'll never get good
    lol have a good christams everyone

    --
    Dancowling

    sunny D's alright!!!
    Dancowling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9462

  15. markf

    markf Guest

    i just think that it probably won't hurt that much if i fail. i usually
    work up to stuff by wussing out a few times. especially true for drops
    and other "larger" moves. i just imagine myself landing it, then go. no
    hesitation, then even if i miss it, i learned the crash wasn't so bad,
    and i can try again. thinking too much always screws stuff up.

    --
    markf

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  16. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    <<"Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    Socrates 500BC >> Good lord! He must have been young when he said
    that. His trial and execution were in 399 BC, 101 years later.:p

    Nevertheless, that was the gist of part of his Defence, and an
    important insight, as relevant today as it was then.

    But back to the motivational speaker...

    Believing that you will fail will probably -cause you to fail.-

    Believing that you will succeed will probably -increase your chance of
    success-.

    That is an important difference in emphasis.

    In any sport, positive visualisation is recognised as a way of
    achieving goals. Indeed, it can even improve your technique.

    On the other hand, thinking negatively makes you act without
    commitment, and builds failure into your plan. Who heard the interview
    with Audley Harrison before his recent (alleged) fight? It was a
    classic example. I knew he would lose as soon as I heard it. I don't
    know much about boxing, but I do know a bit about psychology - and I
    investigate fraud for a living.

    The problem we have to face as uniclists is balancing positive thoughts
    and confidence on the one side, against the real risks inherent in a
    sport than can involve falling awkwardly against sharp obstacles like
    kerbs and coping stones. The "just go for it" mentality will get you
    results, but after a certain point it becomes foolhardiness.

    Positive thinking is very important, but not a substitute for practice,
    technique, and a gradual accumulation of confidence.

    Which puts me firmly in the "will never be very good" camp for the very
    reasons so clearly and passionately expressed in the post that started
    this thread.:eek:

    --
    Mikefule

    What you have can be taken away but what you have had cannot.

  17. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    When I was learning to ride, right at the begining I soon found that I
    had to believe that I could ride those couple of inches without falling
    off, before I could do it. But not only that, I had to have no other
    negative thoughts (such as "i hate this music"). If such a thought
    krept in, I fell off.

    But being a psychologist, and dealing every day with people's lack of
    self-belief, negative thoughts and anxieties, I would have to say that
    it's WAY easier said than done.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  18. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    --
    Mikefule

    What you have can be taken away but what you have had cannot.

  19. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  20. redhead

    redhead Guest