the power of prehop

I think one of the coolest trials parts of U2 is when Dan Heaton does
that huge gap with Mt. McKinley in the background. I don't understand
how he can gap so far going forward rather than sideways, and with the
seat in. It seems like when I try seat in forward gaps I can only get
like 2 feet, since it feels like you can't really push off of anything
or get much snap in your legs. Any pointers on gapping forwards?

--
Rockey - tearin' it up

Revelations of Simplicity
Rockey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3460

Congrat's on the line, Muniracer. Did you try it seat in at all?
Feedback?
i landed the same thing I did yesterday, so now I feel as if I can land
27" consistently:) . Damn! Now I need to make some more risers. And, my
boxes wil;l begin to tip at about 30", so after that I'll have to go
scouting for obstacles. i also pedalgrabbed over a 27" high 2x4 (thin
edge, as always), without a single dap. I did it twice before hopping
practice. I would've done it at 32", but 32" gets hard when landing on a
thin surface, and taking off of an incline. Not to mention, anything
over 27" and the thing would slide away at the slightest tap. Not good.
It was hard because I couldn't tilt my uni down at all, I just had to
stay perfectly on the edge. (On my first time over the beam, I did a
crank flip in mid air and landed chocolate-style. Shows how bad my
pedalgrap is. I'll work on it. It's harder than chain link fences,
because of the inability to brace the wheel against the obstacle.

As for front-hops, the trick is to get your tire hanging over the edge
before you take off. I myself would've done that gap seat out, though. I
don't think Dan does seat out, though. If it were me I'd angle my tire
so it's about 15-25 degrees from pointing at the object, and then gap,
landing straight.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

Rockey wrote:
> *Mt. McKinley*

Mt. Rainier :)

Interesting history about the name of the mountain I found on the web:
"We must go back to 1792, at a time when Captain George Vancouver was
sailing the Pacific coast in a vain effort to find the fabled "northwest
passage" or a "River or the West" for the British government. On board
the "Discovery" Was his friend and fellow soldier, Rear-Admiral Peter
Rainier, and it was for this man that Washington's majestic snow-capped
mountain was named. As a matter of record, Peter Rainier was a grandson
of Regnier, the Hugenot exile, but the name was anglicized to "Rainier".
That he fought against the American colonies and distinguished himself
in this fighting is also a matter of record, which has been used as an
argument in favor of changing the name of the mountain to "Tacoma",
which name, in its turn, has stirred up some heated discussions on its
own account."

Dan, where is that beach?

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve De Cuckoo

The Roadrunner or Ground Cuckoo can run at speeds of up to 15 miles per
hour (24 km per hour). It rarely flies and does not migrate. When it is
in danger, it runs or crouches to hide.

The RoadUnier or Cuckoo Cokier can ride at speeds of up to 15 miles per
hour (24 km per hour). It rarely flies and does not migrate. When it is
in danger it UPDs and slides.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

(slight thread jacking)
Hey Trip, remember that gap I was working on at the creek? about 6'
with 1.5-2' drop, onto the small(1' or less) rounded rock? I got it
first try yesterday. I got it perfectly too! Second try, in the air I
knew I wouldnt make it, and I slammed into the edge of it and fell on my
side.

john

--
johnglazer - We own you

[email protected]

www.sixsixone.com
johnglazer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3714

johnglazer wrote:
> *I knew I wouldnt make it, and I slammed into the edge of it and fell
> on my side.
>
> john *

good im glad.

gerble, i did not try it seat in. my style of riding is pretty much
everything seat out, except skinnies and rolling hops. with all the
trials i do i try to do it with minimal correction hops and such, so
putting the seat in would take an movement, which i usually try to
avoid. but i got the gap on my 3rd try i think. the first time i hit
the corner and bailed, the second i hit right on but bailed, and third i
nailed it. i do use the edge to get extra force on my hop, which really
helps. i hop at probably a 30 degree angle from forwards and i was
twisting a bit and trying to land straight on, but could never get it.
then when i hopped without twisting, landing at a 30 degree angle, i
stuck it really well.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339