The Power of Team Telekom

WarrenG

Sep 8, 2003
A few tidbits about the power outputs of Telekom during a stage race...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3746

Can't tell what year the race was because they don't have their facts correct WRT the TT stage and the times for it.

I also noted that they are sharing the results from 6 riders but there were seven on the team. Maybe somebody DNF'd or they aren't sharing the numbers from one of the riders.

Power is averaged for the whole team of riders, so even the lower numbers of some riders who may have gone easy in the TT and elsewhere would be included-not surprising because the 392 watts for a 23' TT isn't as good as what the best can do.

WarrenG said:

Can't tell what year the race was because they don't have their facts correct WRT the TT stage and the times for it.

I also noted that they are sharing the results from 6 riders but there were seven on the team. Maybe somebody DNF'd or they aren't sharing the numbers from one of the riders.

Power is averaged for the whole team of riders, so even the lower numbers of some riders who may have gone easy in the TT and elsewhere would be included-not surprising because the 392 watts for a 23' TT isn't as good as what the best can do.
What's it matter? You called power meters just expensive speedometers in the other thread. Make up your mind.

Woofer said:
What's it matter? You called power meters just expensive speedometers in the other thread. Make up your mind.

Humor gets lost sometimes. My comment was teasing Bill wrt training for sprinting speed and he mentioned he had two PT's with little use for them now.

I guess you missed all my other posts about how I use my PM, and have done so since 2002.

WarrenG said:

Another limitation to consider: how meaningful are average data when power during mass start racing is so highly variable?

acoggan said:
Another limitation to consider: how meaningful are average data when power during mass start racing is so highly variable?

Yeah! How come Telekom isn't revealing what we really want to know about, "Normalized Power"?!

WarrenG said:
Yeah! How come Telekom isn't revealing what we really want to know about, "Normalized Power"?!

In part because the only thing slower than the culture of pro cycling is the scientific literature (e.g., that paper you read was submitted for publication nearly a year ago, and the data themselves are probably several years older than that).

EDIT: Based on the winner's time as given in the paper, the power data must be from 2000.

EDIT #2: Riding the Regio Tour Internationale for Telekom that year were:

91 Rolf Aldag (Ger)

92 Ralf Grabsch (Ger)

93 Jens Heppner (Ger)

94 Danilo Hondo (Ger)

95 Andreas Klöden (Ger)

96 Jan Schaffrath (Ger)

97 Andrey Mizurov (Kaz)

Heppner appears to have dropped out of the race before the ITT (stage 3b), which probably explains why data from only the other six were presented.

acoggan said:
In part because the only thing slower than the culture of pro cycling is the scientific literature (e.g., that paper you read was submitted for publication nearly a year ago, and the data themselves are probably several years older than that).

EDIT: Based on the winner's time as given in the paper, the power data must be from 2000.

Yes. I went back as far as 2001 and saw no match for the ITT in the article. No surprise they wouldn't share stuff with the public that could be relevant for the current riders, although it's not like anybody racing with them would suddenly say, "Oh wow, I had no idea that guy could put out that much power."

the link doesnt seem to be delivering a story at the moment...taken down?

acoggan said:

Been thinking about this one myself when many Pro races have a ave power of under 200watts. I am pretty close to being able to do this but am pretty far away from troubling any Pro rider.

May mean I need to change my training goals when developing my base (ability to ride 100-125% of race duration and then ability to ride 75-100% of race duration at tempo).

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach