The Price of equipment

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

How does the price of cycling equipment compare to other prices in you country ?

I was at Cyclelab a good few times this week, they have a De Rosa King for sale there, the price, R70K. Now for R70K I can buy myself a small car AND a decent bike to ride.

The De Rosa King frame on it's own costs R27K. Who buys these things ? I dont see Joe public going out to buy this unless he has some serious sponsorship.

Things like tyres and tubes also tend to knock you abit. A Continental Ultra 2000 slick tyre for my race bike will set me back R120 . To put this in perspective a 16" tyre for my car will cost me R700.

Alot has to do with our exchange rate, but I'd like to know how prices compare to each other in other countries. I think economists use the Big Mac index. i.e. The price of a Big Mac in each country and then the price of the article in question.

Tags:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't know how much a De Rosa costs here (Philippines), but a Gios Megalite frame/fork costs around 18,000 Pesos. That's around USD$360. How much are the gruppos over there? Shimano 105 cost around 22,000 Pesos a year ago (non-flightdeck, non-hollowtech, w/ PD-5500). That's around USD$440. When Hollowtech and Flightdeck came out, the gruppo's price went up to 26,000 Pesos. Hmm, what else.... Mavic Open Pros cost aorund 1,600 Pesos each..that's around USD$112. I can't afford an Italian or American frame, so I had a steel custom frame built out of Tange (Japanese?)..cost me 6,500 Pesos...which is around USD$125.

A Big Mac meal here would cost 75 Pesos (USD$ 1.50)..that's with fries and a regular (small) Coke.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Correction of the price of Mavic Open Pros, that's USD$32 each...not $116.