The problem with bike racing . . .

Kurgan Gringioni

Guest
isn't doping. All professional sports have doping issues.

The problem is how the UCI handles it. It leads to everyone talking
about doping instead of racing.

Read this:

From:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/21/sports/bike.php

Cycling: What if they held a bike race and nobody came?
By Samuel Abt

PUTEAUX, France: Not that anybody noticed, but the 57th Grand Prix of
Puteaux was run as scheduled.

That's an exaggeration about nobody noticing: A dozen spectators
showed up at the town hall for the start of the bicycle race Thursday
evening in Puteaux, just west of Paris. Perhaps two dozen more
congregated at the finish line in the Rue Anatole France and along the
main route on the Rue Jean Jaures.

In sum, maybe 50 people, mainly elderly, watched.

Even a few years ago, the race for amateur riders from the Paris
region attracted a throng of fans. That's over.

One reason is that there's so much else to do these days besides watch
a bicycle race. Posters advertised the opening of a two-day food court
near the town hall, the staging of a "white night" of entertainment on
an island in the Seine and the closing of riverside quais to traffic
on Sunday to unleash Rollerbladers.

There were no posters for the Grand Prix of Puteaux, let alone the
banner that used to hang over the street near the bridge into town.

"It's not such a popular sport any more," said Vincent Malbeaux, 18,
the upper limit for a junior rider. He represented the ACBB team from
Boulogne Billancourt, long an incubator for professional teams.

"We still have races but not many people watch," he continued as he
waited with some 90 other riders for the start.

The problem? "Doping. All people talk about our sport is doping."

That will only get worse following the ruling Thursday by arbitrators
in the United States that Floyd Landis was guilty of doping when he
finished first in the Tour de France last year. Landis, a 31-year-old
American, has the right to appeal the 2-1 decision to the Court of
Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland. Its decision will be final. If
he loses an appeal or fails to file one in 30 days, Landis will be
stripped of his title - the first winner of the 104-year-old Tour de
France to be disqualified for doping.

<snip><end>

> isn't doping. All professional sports have doping issues.
>
> The problem is how the UCI handles it. It leads to everyone talking
> about doping instead of racing.

snip...

They hardly even discuss doping in the French forums, it's the least
favorite topic. They have no obsession with doping scandals like Americans.
It's an American obsession. Their culture observes cycling first, and doping
more or less as back page news. These obsessions have made stars out of
people like **** Pound where he can command high pay to speak at speaking
engagements. That ought not to be, the real stars should be the ones who
cross the finish line. Doping in cycling should have it's own newsgroup in
America apart from rbr, there is certainly no lack of users who would post
to it.

GBMT

> They hardly even discuss doping in the French forums, it's the least
> favorite topic. They have no obsession with doping scandals like
> Americans.
> It's an American obsession. Their culture observes cycling first, and
> doping
> more or less as back page news.

Ah. I see. The english-language version of L'Equipe must dramatically
outsell the French version then.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

On Sep 21, 11:53 am, Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
> isn't doping. All professional sports have doping issues.
>
> The problem is how the UCI handles it. It leads to everyone talking
> about doping instead of racing.

Dumbass,

I thought bike racing's problem was akin to the others: too many
retards get involved.

No?

On Sep 21, 5:59 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > They hardly even discuss doping in the French forums, it's the least
> > favorite topic. They have no obsession with doping scandals like
> > Americans.
> > It's an American obsession. Their culture observes cycling first, and
> > doping
> > more or less as back page news.

> Ah. I see. The english-language version of L'Equipe must dramatically
> outsell the French version then.

Ehctually.... AFICT, l'Equipe devotes far more attention to football
and F1 racing than it does to cycling...

news:%[email protected]...
> > They hardly even discuss doping in the French forums, it's the least
> > favorite topic. They have no obsession with doping scandals like
> > Americans.
> > It's an American obsession. Their culture observes cycling first, and
> > doping
> > more or less as back page news.

> Ah. I see. The english-language version of L'Equipe must dramatically
> outsell the French version then.

Not the paper, the french forums, but the Italian forums can't get enough of
doping scandals either like the Americans.

GBMT

benn.trovato wrote:
> Ehctually.... AFICT, l'Equipe devotes far more attention to football
> and F1 racing than it does to cycling...

Do they attempt to expose doping in football ?

Does anyone spying on Ferrari get a fine ?

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:53:39 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sep 21, 5:59 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> > They hardly even discuss doping in the French forums, it's the least
>> > favorite topic. They have no obsession with doping scandals like
>> > Americans.
>> > It's an American obsession. Their culture observes cycling first, and
>> > doping
>> > more or less as back page news.

>> Ah. I see. The english-language version of L'Equipe must dramatically
>> outsell the French version then.
>>

>Ehctually.... AFICT, l'Equipe devotes far more attention to football
>and F1 racing than it does to cycling...

Does cycling make the front page as often as doped cycling? Does metric football
doping get leaked lab reports?