The RAGBRIA

Joe WW

Aug 10, 2004
Hi - I'm considering riding the RAGBRIA which, as I understand it, is an extremely popular week-long ride across Iowa. If you've had experience with this ride, I would really appreciate your thoughts (both good and bad). Here are some of my specific questions:

Is it well run? I understand that there will be a lot of leasure riders involved, but is it also possible to link up with other speed inclined riders and go fast (or at least as fast as my 41 year old legs will take me)? What do you do to occupy your time after each day's ride? What about meals? The website suggests that there are a lot of venders/local groups who sell food at each stop. Is that adequate? What about the camping/showering facilities? Do they do a good job transporting the luggage? Any snafus?

If you haven't participated in the RAGBRIA, but have similar experience, please don't hesitate to pass along recomendations on how to enjoy this type of ride.

Thanks

Joe

I'm waiting for more RAGBRAI riders to check in. I'm not one. FWIW, RAGBRAI is one of the oldest 'state' rides in the country, but not the only one. With that many riders, I would expect to see riders of all abilities, from 25 mph pacelines to 10 mph cruisers on custom-made rolling beer coolers. Other rides are smaller, and have different personalities. Regardless of whether or not you do RAGBRAI, I recommend you find a smaller 'state' ride and try that, too.

Oh - the url: http://www.ragbrai.org

blazingpedals said:
I'm waiting for more RAGBRAI riders to check in. I'm not one. FWIW, RAGBRAI is one of the oldest 'state' rides in the country, but not the only one. With that many riders, I would expect to see riders of all abilities, from 25 mph pacelines to 10 mph cruisers on custom-made rolling beer coolers. Other rides are smaller, and have different personalities. Regardless of whether or not you do RAGBRAI, I recommend you find a smaller 'state' ride and try that, too.

Oh - the url: http://www.ragbrai.org
I've heard that GOBA (Great Ohio Bike Adventure) is pretty decent. If you are interested in other rides.

'bent Brian

I remember reading about a ride in Ohio called TOSRV. Is that still in existence?
I also rode the 5 Boro Bike tour in around 79-80. That was a lot of fun.

Doug

djrocker257 said:
I remember reading about a ride in Ohio called TOSRV. Is that still in existence?
Yes TOSRV (Tour Of Scioto River Valley) is still around. It's only a 2-day ride, from Columbus to Portsmouth OH, 100 miles each way, same route in both directions. Me and TOSRV didn't hit it off, the ride is early in the season, when it's likely to be windy, rain, or cold -- or all three. A dry TOSRV is so unusual it draws comment, and the one I did gets a big 'no comment.' :(

I'm originally from Iowa and did RAGBRAI once (after I moved to California so it was sort of a nostalgia trip). It is extremely popular - upwards of 10,000 riders, some of them "unofficial".

The organization plans the stops and the routes and all the towns know it's coming so they keep their cars off the roads for the most part - hardly any traffic concerns at all. I joined an Iowa cycling club and they did all the logistics http://www.bicyclistsofiowacity.org/ it was a superb way to do the ride; they provided transportation to the start and home from the finish, they hauled our camping equipment to the finish town, they roped off a camp site at every finish town, it was great. If you don't do it that way your logistics will be quite difficult.

With so many riders in such a flat state you can see riders for miles ahead of you and miles behind you. The towns RAGBRAI gows through get zero tourism in any 10 year period so they really go "whole hog" when 10,000 hungry thirsty riders roll in with their money.

I'd do it every year if I had the chance.

blazingpedals said:
Yes TOSRV (Tour Of Scioto River Valley) is still around. It's only a 2-day ride, from Columbus to Portsmouth OH, 100 miles each way, same route in both directions. Me and TOSRV didn't hit it off, the ride is early in the season, when it's likely to be windy, rain, or cold -- or all three. A dry TOSRV is so unusual it draws comment, and the one I did gets a big 'no comment.' :(

Sure doesn't sound as good as it did in the Bicycling Magazine article (yrs ago).

Doug

I've lived in Iowa all my life and now at 36 I will be tackling my first RAGBRAI this year. The first and last days of the ride are the most hilly. Believe it or not but there are some fierce hills in Iowa and the majority of them are on the West and East sides of the state. It is a Ride and not a Race, so people of all abilities participate. Most of the days are 60-70 miles with a 100 mile (Optional) route planned for mid week. The overnight towns go out of their way to accommodate the riders. They are normally smaller towns. Lots of food and beverage. From what I hear the night life is very exciting and some crazy stuff goes on. For the registered riders the event is very well organized.

Get associated with a cycling club or seasoned group of riders to get the full experience. Check out BikeIowa.com for a list of clubs. RAGBRAI.org is the official site.

I grew up in an overnight host town and it is quite a site to see that many bikes on the road.

Be prepared for anything. Iowa weather is not the most predictable weather. It can be 90+ with 90% humiditiy one day and 60 degrees and rain the next. You can normally count on hot/humid weather during the ride though.

Hope to see you on the ride. I'll be riding with the Angry Beavers group.

Thank you to everyone for your input. I guess my biggest concern is the period of time after I get off the bike. I don't drink anymore and want to make sure there is more to do that kick back and have a few beers (as good as that may sound) at the end of the day. Plus, after riding 70 miles, my tolerance for drunken knuckleheads keeping me awake at night will be pretty low. - God, I sound like such jerk! I really am a pretty fun loving guy and have even been a drunken knucklehead on occasion, I just don't know if I can handle 7 nights of Mardi Gras broken up by 7 days of hard riding! :)

Joe

The official route was just announced. Check out Ragbrai.org for the map. There will be a lot of partying and such, but there are also a lot of non-party activities. I would suggest planning ahead and looking for the best places to stay/camp out. Avoid any area with a team bus parked nearby. You'll know them when you see them.

The route is going to be awesome this year. The last couple of days are going to be very scenic. NE iowa is definitely not flat..

Make sure you do the century loop ride mid week.

Thanks for the info!

Scoffin said:
The official route was just announced. Check out Ragbrai.org for the map. There will be a lot of partying and such, but there are also a lot of non-party activities. I would suggest planning ahead and looking for the best places to stay/camp out. Avoid any area with a team bus parked nearby. You'll know them when you see them.

The route is going to be awesome this year. The last couple of days are going to be very scenic. NE iowa is definitely not flat..

Make sure you do the century loop ride mid week.