The Rate of Speciation

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by A A, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. A A

    A A Guest

    P=S R^N

    P= probability for a new species to be created in one generation S= size of population R= mutation
    rate N= the number of mutations required

    Mats Liljedahl 1994

    Tags:

  2. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > P=S R^N
    >
    > P= probability for a new species to be created in one generation S= size of population R= mutation
    > rate N= the number of mutations required

    That's mathematically OK assuming a homogenous interbreeding population, and an all or nothing
    speciation event. In fact what we see is that populations are divided into demes with limited
    contact, and that there can be barriers to mating that are not absolute. The hawthorn / apple maggot
    fly is an example. These flies mate on the same plant species as upon which they feed, so there is a
    separation into hawthorn- and the recently-evolved apple-feeding populations. However post-mating
    reproductive barriers have not yet evolved.