The Real Cost of a Car: about 2-3K a year

C P

Guest
It started a little over a year ago, when I got a letter from the NC Department of Vehicles stating
that I had to prove to them that I had insurance during the time after I dumped my old insurance
company and signed up for a new one. Otherwise it would be a fifty dollar fine.

The letter went into the wastebasket.

A couple of weeks later a notice appeared from NCDMV that my plates were revoked and I was
instructed to send in the plates for 30 days, pay the fine and to not drive the car. I pick up a
beat up old Schwinn World at Goodwill for 10 bucks, and 50 dollars into a bike repair tool kit, and
am soon riding my bike to work daily.

By this time, I am happy riding my bike around, enjoy the exercise and low cost, so I decide the car
has to go. I have found that I get around just fine on the bike, and enjoy riding it immensely why
pay for travel inside a box anyway? I figure the yearly costs are as follows, (not including the
fines I have paid this year).

Depreciation - 500 Gas - 300 (+/- 100) Insurance - 600 Car 'Property' Taxes / Licensing Fees - 100
(or so) Repair / Maint (includes emissions inspection) - 500 +/- 100 (a conservative figure)

About 2000 dollars a year for a car, more if you have fines. But wait, there are other costs. There
is the cost of knowing that if you dont do this or that with the car by such and such time there
will be this and that happen to you with X financial penalties as result. That worry is gone once
the car is gone.

There is one other thing that should be considered. Oil prices will probably to go up in the next 5
to 10 years, and because of looting of taxpayer money, states will be looking for more ways to tax
the hell out of people to make up the difference. Odds are that car owners will be getting soaked
even more. So I figure it is best to get rid of the car now, before these costs take affect.

That puts an extra 2000 a year (or maybe more) in the bank to spend how I please when the car is
gone. So of the 2000 I save will be spent on occasionally renting a car on a as needed basis, If I
rent a car once a month for getting major things done, cats to the vet, big ticket shopping, etc,
the yearly cost is 500, still way less than what I am paying now by owning a car. The rest of the
money can be invested or blown on something I want.

But I save money in other ways too. I find that when I am on a bike I do a lot less shopping since
it is not so convenient to take off to the store as it is with a car. Therefore when I shop I only
buy the things I need and am able to carry. I ride home with groceries home in my backpack, so that
means when I buy groceries, the food I buy is usually the essentials I can make room for. There is
not a lot of money that goes unneccessary foods I am better off not eating, like cookies. So my
overall shopping costs are way down.

I find that I am getting more exercise, will there be lower health care costs as a result?
I think so.

Just curious, why don't more people think like this?

one word: convenience.

Mike "C P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> want.
>
> But I save money in other ways too. I find that when I am on a bike I do a lot less shopping since
> it is not so convenient to take off to the store
as
> it is with a car. Therefore when I shop I only buy the things I need and
am
> able to carry. I ride home with groceries home in my backpack, so that
means
> when I buy groceries, the food I buy is usually the essentials I can make room for. There is not a
> lot of money that goes unneccessary foods I am better off not eating, like cookies. So my overall
> shopping costs are way down.
>
> I find that I am getting more exercise, will there be lower health care costs as a result? I
> think so.
>
> Just curious, why don't more people think like this?

What about little things like rain, sleet, snow, freezing weather and strong winds?

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV NEW EMAIL [email protected] NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:46:33 GMT, "C P" <[email protected]> wrote:

>But I save money in other ways too. I find that when I am on a bike I do a lot less shopping since
>it is not so convenient to take off to the store as it is with a car. Therefore when I shop I only
>buy the things I need and am able to carry. I ride home with groceries home in my backpack, so that
>means when I buy groceries, the food I buy is usually the essentials I can make room for. There is
>not a lot of money that goes unneccessary foods I am better off not eating, like cookies. So my
>overall shopping costs are way down.

You'll probably save a lot of money on health costs also, unless that is you are killed or injured
in traffic someday.

Sparhawk

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:46:33 GMT, <[email protected]>, "C P"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>About 2000 dollars a year for a car, more if you have fines. But wait, there are other costs.

There are more costs than that. You must also account for the external costs to arrive at a more
honest figure.

Thirty two percent of the cost of driving is subsidised by non-drivers and those who drive more are
subsidised by those who drive less.

You only accounted for your fixed and variable "internal" costs. Your neighbours picked up the rest
of the tab.

Gas taxes and other user fees covered only 60 percent of the $33.3 billion spent on building,
improving and repairing roads in 1989. Also not covered by user fees is the $68 billion spent
annually on services such as highway patrols, traffic management, and traffic accident police work.

Throw in the cost of pollution, time lost to congestion, depreciation of property value,
uncompensated injuries, free parking, health costs due laziness and air pollution, etc.

Driving is underpriced.

http://www.flora.org/afo/cc1.html
--
zk

I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my costs. My initial intent was to rasionalize how little
money it costs to ride my bike when looked at it in dollars per hour. As you can see on the table
below I included everything from the bike to patch kits. Man, was I suprised. The only hope is that
I keep on riding at the rate I have in the last couple of years. If I keep up this pace the bike
will get inexpensive in a year or two... I hope...

Oh, by the way, gas and car repairs cost over $4000 last year. Now that is expensive.

My cost per mile is $0.43 My cost per hour is:$7.73 That is with 12,571 miles on my biles.

Initial Bike Cost 12/29/2000 $3,656.14 Total Spent $5,396.71 Shorts $165.00 Jersey etc $260.00
Chains $180.00 Miles Ridden 12571.4 Tires $300.00 2001 5064 Computer $20.00 2002 7412
Overhaul(chain, brake hoods) $180.00 2003 95 co2 $80.00 Ave MPH 18 Pump $15.00 Gloves $50.00
Hours Ridden 698.4111 Helmets $250.00 Tire Tubes $50.00 Cost per Hour $7.73 Chain Lube $24.00
Chain Cleaner $25.00 Cost per Mile 0.429285 new tire,chain,SpinSkin $114.07 chain, derailleur
adjustment $27.50

> [...]
as
> it is with a car. Therefore when I shop I only buy the things I need and
am
> able to carry. I ride home with groceries home in my backpack, so that
means
> when I buy groceries, the food I buy is usually the essentials I can make room for. There is not a
> lot of money that goes unneccessary foods I am better off not eating, like cookies. So my overall
> shopping costs are way down.
>
> I find that I am getting more exercise, will there be lower health care costs as a result? I
> think so.
>
> Just curious, why don't more people think like this?

"C P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I figure the yearly costs are as follows, (not including the fines I have paid this year).

Our city (Seattle) did a one less car study here (see:
http://www.cityofseattle.net/waytogo/demostudy.htm) and they estimated the cost of a car was $85 a
week. That gives a higher price of $4420 for the annual cost of car ownership.

Some other costs and savings I usually don't hear cited:

I know that since I took up bicycle commuting on a regular basis, I spend a lot less money on work
clothes -- both purchase and dry cleaning. Yes, I bought lot of bicycling-related clothing, so that
goes in the spending column. But when I was not using the bike, I'd wear my work clothes not just to
and from work, but I'd wear them at home, typically, until bedtime. This meant that my clothes were
much more likely to get stained and dirty during the day. When I only wear clothes in the office,
everything stays cleaner and nicer. This might not be that big of a deal if you work in jeans and a
t-shirt. I have an office job where I wear I wear a silk blouse, a nice skirt, and pumps -- it makes
a difference.

On the spending side: I eat a lot more lunch. Before regularly riding my bike, I'd have a lady's
lunch of a green salad, or a yogurt and an apple. Now I have the carne asada plate, or a slice of
pizza and a large caesar, you know what I mean? If I don't take my lunch, the cost of spending twice
as much out really adds up. Might even be the equivalent of what I'd spend at the gas pump. The
other side of that one is, I personally enjoy the carne asada plate much more than a yogurt and an
apple, or five gallons of gas, for that matter.

On the saving side: I no longer pay $75/month at the health club. And although I spend money on bike
clothes, I used to spend some on aerobics outfits, so maybe that cancels out the other, too. Also,
you save time -- when you combine your commute with your work out, the fact that your commute now
takes an additional 20-30 minutes a day is still more than off-set by the fact you don't have to
drive to the health club on top of your regular driving commute.

When I ride into work this morning, I'll think about this some more.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist at:

In article <[email protected]>, "Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> writes:

> Now, about the cheapest source of calories is a Big Mac with supersize fries.

Not when you do your own home cooking.

I bet my homemade beef stroganoff has way more calories than that McD stuff, for less cost, serving
for serving. Especially with all that sour cream. Same with chicken paprikash. Sausages with mashed
spuds and steamed savoy cabbage on the side, or corned beef hash, or pot roast, etc. are all dirt
cheap, and easy to prepare. Because ya aren't paying extra for convenience.

cheers, Tom