Road Cycling · Public discussion

The real loser

Started by Scott · · Last activity · 55 posts · 862 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 August 2006
Last activity
7 August 2006
Original author
Scott
Posts
55
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
862
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 55
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:
    Scott said:
    Quoted message said:


    Your mention Vinokourov brings to mind the recent report that his
    teammates have been exonerated by the Spainish judge. They have
    petitioned to be reinstated. It would seem that these circumstances
    would be of interest on rbr, but there has been only silence. Is
    this of no consequence?

    If I understand correctly, and there's a huge probability that I don't,
    the Spanish judge has only cleared them from the perspective of
    compliance with Spanish law. He has no jurisdiction nor has he claimed
    any, to release them from any potential violations of UCI/WADA rules.
    They're separate issues and perhaps they haven't been completely
    exonerated from that suspicion.

    Scott

    I think your interpertation is absolutely correct. The basis for my
    question though is that since the envolvement in the Spanish case was
    the basis for their suspension the removal of the basis would impact
    their participation. An arcance system this guilty by suspicion.
    Do you feel comfortable with it? Does it concern you that so much
    is being surrender for the sake of minor an interest as "sports
    integrity"?

    I'm not too terribly over concerned about it, as I keep telling myself
    that we're not talking about a god-given right to race bicycles.

    We're talking about individuals who've agreed to a set of rules
    governing the terms of their employment. As long as they're treated
    within the realm of the typical employment scenario, I don't have a
    problem with a racer or group of racers not being allowed to
    participate in a specific event.

    Folks are suspended from work with pay, or in some cases without pay,
    during periods of investigation into alleged work-related wrong doing
    all the time. And, sometimes people are fired, just because. It's
    life.

  2. Scott said:
    Quoted message said:
    Scott said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    >
    > Your mention Vinokourov brings to mind the recent report that his
    > teammates have been exonerated by the Spainish judge. They have
    > petitioned to be reinstated. It would seem that these circumstances
    > would be of interest on rbr, but there has been only silence. Is
    > this of no consequence?

    If I understand correctly, and there's a huge probability that I don't,
    the Spanish judge has only cleared them from the perspective of
    compliance with Spanish law. He has no jurisdiction nor has he claimed
    any, to release them from any potential violations of UCI/WADA rules.
    They're separate issues and perhaps they haven't been completely
    exonerated from that suspicion.

    Scott

    I think your interpertation is absolutely correct. The basis for my
    question though is that since the envolvement in the Spanish case was
    the basis for their suspension the removal of the basis would impact
    their participation. An arcance system this guilty by suspicion.
    Do you feel comfortable with it? Does it concern you that so much
    is being surrender for the sake of minor an interest as "sports
    integrity"?

    I'm not too terribly over concerned about it, as I keep telling myself
    that we're not talking about a god-given right to race bicycles.

    We're talking about individuals who've agreed to a set of rules
    governing the terms of their employment. As long as they're treated
    within the realm of the typical employment scenario, I don't have a
    problem with a racer or group of racers not being allowed to
    participate in a specific event.

    Folks are suspended from work with pay, or in some cases without pay,
    during periods of investigation into alleged work-related wrong doing
    all the time. And, sometimes people are fired, just because. It's
    life.

    See your point. On the other hand, riders are held by to the ridicule
    of the press and the scorn of an incited mob.

  3. Quoted message said:

    See your point. On the other hand, riders are held by to the ridicule
    of the press and the scorn of an incited mob.


    Reporting suspected and actual drug use is not ridicule. Crappy
    reporting, perhaps. What's ridiculous are the denials and excuses when
    caught red handed.

    Incited mobs knock you down and kick you to a pulp, sometimes even to
    death.

    These are important distictions, be aware of them.

    Gabe Brovedani

    p.s. r.b.r is not a mob.

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Scott

    (') said:

    in all of this (assuming Landis loses his title) is Kloden. Were it
    not for Landis and Phonak giving Pereiro 30 minutes, he'd have finished
    back around 20th place (or worse). But, thanto the gift from the
    alleged doper, he finds himself in 2nd w/ Kloden in 3rd.

    Take out Landis, and the gift to Pereiro, and you have Kloden, the
    rightful winner.

    Oh, don't be ridiculous. T-Mo didn't have to wait for Phonak to chase on
    stage 13, they could have chased themselves. They didn't. They chose not
    to. Tough. Pereiro worked hard for his victory, never gave up, and
    deserves what he has got.

    The real people who were cheated out of a chance of winning are Jan
    Ullrich and Ivan Basso, neither of whom have failed a drugs test, and
    Vinokourov against whom no investigation has been brought. The fact that
    they were excluded while Landis was allowed to race is outrageously
    unjust.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; this is not a .sig

    Your mention Vinokourov brings to mind the recent report that his
    teammates have been exonerated by the Spainish judge. They have
    petitioned to be reinstated. It would seem that these circumstances
    would be of interest on rbr, but there has been only silence. Is
    this of no consequence?

    Well, I think there's definitely been a lot of Wurthless discussion
    about the Tour and its aftermath.

    No, seriously: that's the really sad part. "Oh, by the way, that part
    where we accused half your team of doping and excluded all of you from
    the Tour? We're totally sorry about that. No hard feelings, right? And
    we really, really hope you can pick up a new title sponsor. No harm, no
    foul, right?"

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Scott said:
    Quoted message said:


    Your mention Vinokourov brings to mind the recent report that his
    teammates have been exonerated by the Spainish judge. They have
    petitioned to be reinstated. It would seem that these circumstances
    would be of interest on rbr, but there has been only silence. Is
    this of no consequence?

    If I understand correctly, and there's a huge probability that I don't,
    the Spanish judge has only cleared them from the perspective of
    compliance with Spanish law. He has no jurisdiction nor has he claimed
    any, to release them from any potential violations of UCI/WADA rules.
    They're separate issues and perhaps they haven't been completely
    exonerated from that suspicion.

    Scott

    I think your interpertation is absolutely correct. The basis for my
    question though is that since the envolvement in the Spanish case was
    the basis for their suspension the removal of the basis would impact
    their participation. An arcance system this guilty by suspicion.
    Do you feel comfortable with it? Does it concern you that so much
    is being surrender for the sake of minor an interest as "sports
    integrity"?

    Well, I for one have repeatedly taken the stance that the anti-doping
    forces out there were often their own worst enemies in making the
    anti-doping case, and I say that as someone who, in the abstract, stands
    clearly in the Lafferty-Pound continuum of doping theory. And I think
    both of those guys bring disrepute on the cause.

    But then, there's a whole bunch of things that would be better if I ran
    the zoo. Ryan for Secretary-General of the UN on the LIVEDRUNK ticket!

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark said:

    "Scott" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in all of this (assuming Landis loses his title) is Kloden. Were it
    not for Landis and Phonak giving Pereiro 30 minutes, he'd have finished
    back around 20th place (or worse). But, thanks to the gift from the
    alleged doper, he finds himself in 2nd w/ Kloden in 3rd.

    Take out Landis, and the gift to Pereiro, and you have Kloden, the
    rightful winner.

    Well, the loser is Wim Vansevenant, as he was the only one who didn't dope
    and should have been the rightful winner.

    Quoted message said:

    That's spelled D-A-V-I-D M-I-L-L-A-R.

    On the line is not out,

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Scott said:
    Sandy said:

    Scott a écrit :

    Quoted message said:

    in all of this (assuming Landis loses his title) is Kloden. Were it
    not for Landis and Phonak giving Pereiro 30 minutes, he'd have finished
    back around 20th place (or worse). But, thanks to the gift from the
    alleged doper, he finds himself in 2nd w/ Kloden in 3rd.

    Take out Landis, and the gift to Pereiro, and you have Kloden, the
    rightful winner.


    The rider crossing the line at the end with the least elapsed time is
    the winner. Or are you looking for excuses why you don't manage to win ?

    I wasn't looking for an excuse for anything, except for an excuse for a
    topic of discussion.

    By the way, I won a 10 lap tempo race on the track last week. First
    win in longer than I care to remember. I don't think my T/E ratio had
    anything to do with it, but I can assure you I had a ragingly high
    testosterone level afterwards! Strong, like bull! Funny how winning
    makes you feel strong.

    hmmmm, maybe I'm on to something. Perhaps it was the win that lead to
    Floyd's skewed T/E ratio, not the other way around???? Anybody got any
    contact info for his legal team? I'd like to share my thoughts with
    them. Being a self-appointed RBR expert, my theory will surely hold up
    in court, right?

    Scott

    www.believescott.com

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  8. in message <[email hidden]>,

    (') said:


    Simon Brooke said:

    The real people who were cheated out of a chance of winning are Jan
    Ullrich and Ivan Basso, neither of whom have failed a drugs test, and
    Vinokourov against whom no investigation has been brought. The fact
    that they were excluded while Landis was allowed to race is
    outrageously unjust.

    Your mention Vinokourov brings to mind the recent report that his
    teammates have been exonerated by the Spainish judge.

    Irrelevant. What they were suspected of was not criminal, so of course
    they've been exonerated. It doesn't mean there isn't evidence they were
    blood doping, it just means that blood doping in itself is not illegal
    in Spain. Of course, it doesn't mean they were blood doping, either; it
    just gives us no new infomation.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
    ;; it isn't furry.

  9. Gabe Brovedani said:

    Incited mobs knock you down and kick you to a pulp, sometimes even to
    death.

    These are important distictions, be aware of them.

    Gabe Brovedani

    p.s. r.b.r is not a mob.

    Not even a virtual one ? We need to work harder and improve.

  10. Ryan Cousineau said:

    But then, there's a whole bunch of things that would be better if I ran
    the zoo. Ryan for Secretary-General of the UN on the LIVEDRUNK ticket!

    Presumably you'd supply both sides of a conflict with an unlimited supply
    of alcohol.

  11. Ray_Manor said:
    Quoted message said:

    Your mention Vinokourov brings to mind the recent report that his
    teammates have been exonerated by the Spainish judge.

    Simon Brooke said:

    Irrelevant. What they were suspected of was not criminal, so of course
    they've been exonerated. It doesn't mean there isn't evidence they were
    blood doping, it just means that blood doping in itself is not illegal
    in Spain. Of course, it doesn't mean they were blood doping, either; it
    just gives us no new infomation.

    In that case surely Basso and Ullrich would also be exonerated ?

  12. Quoted message said:


    See your point. On the other hand, riders are held by to the ridicule
    of the press and the scorn of an incited mob.

    Their paycheck comes directly and indirectly from the level of
    exposure the sport gets. If things happen, they are going to get the
    same level of exposure. BTW, 'scorn of an incited mob' is certainly a
    curious figure of speech - I'm seeing a huge screaming mob coming
    together to scorn a rider. Sure beats the scene where they begin to
    pick up rocks. I'm seeing mob scorning as sort of shunning with
    adrenaline...

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  13. Donald Munro said:
    Gabe Brovedani said:

    Incited mobs knock you down and kick you to a pulp, sometimes even to
    death.

    These are important distictions, be aware of them.

    Gabe Brovedani

    p.s. r.b.r is not a mob.

    Not even a virtual one ? We need to work harder and improve.


    Damn, I'm always forgetting the importance of virtuality. It's back to
    the bottle for me.

    Gabe

  14. That is true in the USA, but we're talking about Europe, where job
    security
    is much greater. For example, a couple of years ago, at the Orly
    airport in Paris,
    a stewardess died when
    she fell off the ladder leading up to her plane. The driver of the
    ladder machine
    was suspended (with pay, I assume) and his union immediately went on
    strike expressing their anger at this underserved sanction. An
    investigation
    later showed that he had moved the ladder away while the stewardess was
    on it. The union never expressed any regret about the death.

    Moreover, in France, if you are a civil servant, it is almost
    impossible to fire someone, let alone saction them. The errant judge of
    the
    Outreau case, who, in his first case erroneously kept a dozen people in
    jail
    for years, was never sanctioned, despite the many errors found in the
    official
    report. In last year's French riots, there were policemen
    who kicked some underaged persons in the head, in front of many
    witnesses,
    and when they were put in jail (with pay), their colleagues staged a
    "work to rule"
    policy until they were released. I assume that 9 month later they have
    been
    decorated, if not promoted.

    -ilan

    Scott said:


    Folks are suspended from work with pay, or in some cases without pay,
    during periods of investigation into alleged work-related wrong doing
    all the time. And, sometimes people are fired, just because. It's
    life.

  15. Gabe Brovedani said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    p.s. r.b.r is not a mob.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not even a virtual one ? We need to work harder and improve.

    Gabe Brovedani said:

    Damn, I'm always forgetting the importance of virtuality. It's back to
    the bottle for me.

    Virtual sticks and stones break virtual bones.

  16. Scott said:

    First win in longer than I care to remember.

    Does it go back to the day a promoter had the smart idea of combining
    the open women with the 45+ men and you got some unusual "help" from a
    female teammate. That was a forgettable day for everyone involved :-)

    Bret

  17. Scott said:

    in all of this (assuming Landis loses his title) is Kloden. Were it
    not for Landis and Phonak giving Pereiro 30 minutes, he'd have finished
    back around 20th place (or worse). But, thanks to the gift from the
    alleged doper, he finds himself in 2nd w/ Kloden in 3rd.

    Take out Landis, and the gift to Pereiro, and you have Kloden, the
    rightful winner.

    Reminds me of what my dad used to say: "If we had some ham, we could
    have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs." If, if, if. Nobody knows
    what would have happened. Individual psyches and strategies change
    with different leaders, different scenarios, and different individual
    team members' actions. There are too many variables all around to say
    what might have been with any certainty.

    N.

  18. in message <[email hidden]>, Donald

    Munro (') said:
    Ray_Manor said:
    Quoted message said:

    Your mention Vinokourov brings to mind the recent report that his
    teammates have been exonerated by the Spainish judge.

    Simon Brooke said:

    Irrelevant. What they were suspected of was not criminal, so of course
    they've been exonerated. It doesn't mean there isn't evidence they
    were blood doping, it just means that blood doping in itself is not
    illegal in Spain. Of course, it doesn't mean they were blood doping,
    either; it just gives us no new infomation.

    In that case surely Basso and Ullrich would also be exonerated ?

    Doubtless they would be if they asked. They haven't asked, I presume,
    since there's no point.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Morning had broken, and I found when I looked that we had run out
    of copper roove nails.

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gabe Brovedani said:
    Donald Munro said:
    Gabe Brovedani said:

    Incited mobs knock you down and kick you to a pulp, sometimes even to
    death.

    These are important distictions, be aware of them.

    Gabe Brovedani

    p.s. r.b.r is not a mob.

    Not even a virtual one ? We need to work harder and improve.


    Damn, I'm always forgetting the importance of virtuality. It's back to
    the bottle for me.

    Gabe

    rbr would have to raise its level of discourse to qualify as a mob.

    LIVEDRUNK reminds you to drink irresponsibly,

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Donald Munro said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    But then, there's a whole bunch of things that would be better if I ran
    the zoo. Ryan for Secretary-General of the UN on the LIVEDRUNK ticket!

    Presumably you'd supply both sides of a conflict with an unlimited supply
    of alcohol.

    Good gravy. Picking between Jewish (Mogen David) and Islamic
    (drink=damnation) attitudes towards alcohol has led me to a deep,
    personal understanding of the true horror of recent events.

    Yes, I just used a violent mid-east conflict to make a LIVEDRUNK joke,

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.