The Real Man

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    From Cyclingnews.com http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/mar03/mar24news2

    Museeuw gives kudos to Bettini

    Johan Museeuw, who gave up his place in the Quick.Step-Davitamon team for Milan-San Remo, had no
    regrets about doing so after watching Paolo Bettini win the race on Saturday. In Het Laatste Nieuws
    and Het Nieuwsblad today, Museeuw said that he could not have done what Paolini did for Bettini on
    the Poggio. "I don't have that sort of attack in the legs, never had it," he said.

    "I reconnoitred the whole Ronde van Vlaanderen on Saturday. I was just back in time for the blood
    curdling finale. Impressive stuff from Paolo and Luca. Bettini is the perfect team player who in the
    coming years will always be good for at least one classic."

    "I know how important La Primavera is for an Italian, especially also wearing the World Cup jersey.
    What Bettini did, from the Cipressa onwards, I have rarely seen. I phoned him immediately. What a
    great start for our team."

    Cipo may have the Jersey, is an awesome sprinter, but Museeuw is a "hardman" legend. The spring
    classics in the mess, Hampsten in the blizzard, Lance's attack after "The Look" are what racing is
    about to me. It doesn't much matter what chemicals are flowing through you when conditions get
    terrrible, and everyone is suffering. Your body might be doing a little better, but where is your
    mind? You could be juiced to the gills, if you don't have the will to win, you aren't going to when
    it gets nasty. I just hope that cycling retains the working class heros that have made the legends.
    They may have no other options, but I don't think this diminishes what they have accomplished
    either. When I hear the name Larry Bird, I see the kid who shot 500 free throws in the morning
    before school and 500 after. In the winter he shoveled the driveway so he could get his practice
    in, twice a day if needed. That's why he's a legend, and that's why Museeuw is too. Bill C

    Tags:

  2. Did larry bird do EPO, too...?

    > Cipo may have the Jersey, is an awesome sprinter, but Museeuw is a
    "hardman"
    > legend. The spring classics in the mess, Hampsten in the blizzard, Lance's attack after "The Look"
    > are what racing is about to me. It doesn't much
    matter
    > what chemicals are flowing through you when conditions get terrrible, and everyone is suffering.
    > Your body might be doing a little better, but where
    is
    > your mind? You could be juiced to the gills, if you don't have the will to
    win,
    > you aren't going to when it gets nasty. I just hope that cycling retains the working class heros
    > that have made
    the
    > legends. They may have no other options, but I don't think this diminishes
    what
    > they have accomplished either. When I hear the name Larry Bird, I see the kid who shot 500
    > free throws
    in the
    > morning before school and 500 after. In the winter he shoveled the
    driveway so
    > he could get his practice in, twice a day if needed. That's why he's a
    legend,
    > and that's why Museeuw is too. Bill C

  3. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: "hold my beer and watch this..." [email protected]

    >Did larry bird do EPO, too...?

    Nah, If he did he would've been able to dunk, jump, and run. Bill C.