The reason for the "obesity epidemic."

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nick, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted long before me. In the 1930's,
    farmers learned how to fatten animals up - namely by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in other words,
    foods high in unsaturated fatty acids that suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism. With the
    current "essential fatty acid" fad, it's no surprise that we are now hearing about this obesity
    epidemic - it is basic biochemistry, actually. The studies are there, the farmers have known about
    this for decades, though they didn't necessarily know why, scientifically. Do you see a lot of fat
    Phillipinos, Sri Lankans, or Thai? No, because they use coconut oil, which is 92% saturated. I use
    coconut oil as a dietary staple. I'm 5'9" tall and thin as a rail. Everyone else in my family (they
    don't eat coconut oil) are obese, some dangerously so.

    Now you know - knowledge is truly power!

    Tags:

  2. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    nick <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

    > It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted long before me. In the
    > 1930's, farmers learned how to fatten animals up - namely by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in
    > other words, foods high in unsaturated fatty acids that suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism.
    > With the current "essential fatty acid" fad, it's no surprise that we are now hearing about this
    > obesity epidemic - it is basic biochemistry, actually. The studies are there, the farmers have
    > known about this for decades, though they didn't necessarily know why, scientifically. Do you see
    > a lot of fat Phillipinos, Sri Lankans, or Thai? No, because they use coconut oil, which is 92%
    > saturated. I use coconut oil as a dietary staple. I'm 5'9" tall and thin as a rail. Everyone else
    > in my family (they don't eat coconut oil) are obese, some dangerously so.
    >
    > Now you know - knowledge is truly power!

    The consumption of greater numbers of calories is most likely to be responsible for the growing
    waistlines of westerners.
    --
    __________
    |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "nick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted long before me. In the
    > 1930's, farmers learned how to fatten animals up -
    namely
    > by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in other words, foods high in unsaturated fatty acids that
    > suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism.

    Wrong. The problem is eating too many calories and getting too little excercise.

    ( Garbage deleted)

    > Now you know - knowledge is truly power!

    Yeah, but that knowledge has to be correct. In this case it isn't.

    Jeff

  4. Jez

    Jez Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "nick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted
    long
    > > before me. In the 1930's, farmers learned how to fatten animals up -
    > namely
    > > by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in other words, foods high in
    unsaturated
    > > fatty acids that suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism.
    >
    > Wrong. The problem is eating too many calories and getting too little excercise.
    >
    > ( Garbage deleted)
    >
    > > Now you know - knowledge is truly power!
    >
    > Yeah, but that knowledge has to be correct. In this case it isn't.

    And where do you get your funding?

    --
    Ho hum Jez "Few of us can easily surrender our belief that society must somehow make sense. The
    thought that the State has lost its mind and is punishing so many innocent people is intolerable.

  5. Eric Bohlman

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Wrong. The problem is eating too many calories and getting too little excercise.

    I think you should really say "physical activity" here rather than "exercise." Exercise (physical
    activity undertaken for its own sake in the form of "workouts," etc.) accounts for only a minor
    proportion of most people's calorie-burning physical activity. In fact, it's such a small proportion
    that it's not at all contradictory to say that someone is exercising more and becoming more
    sedentary at the same time. That actually happens quite frequently, and when it does people scratch
    their heads and wonder why they're gaining weight.

    I think the distinction is important because many people, when told to "exercise" more, assume that
    it has to take place in a gym or the like. They don't seem to make the connection that, say, walking
    instead of driving for short trips would be beneficial because it doesn't fit into the narrow little
    box that represents "exercise" in their minds.

    In terms of long-term trends, the physical activity associated with work has declined for most
    people, and for anybody other than highly competitive athletes, that always accounted for a much
    bigger share of physical activity than formal exercise.

  6. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:44:50 -0400, "nick" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted long before me. In the
    >1930's, farmers learned how to fatten animals up - namely by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in other
    >words, foods high in unsaturated fatty acids that suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism. With
    >the current "essential fatty acid" fad, it's no surprise that we are now hearing about this obesity
    >epidemic - it is basic biochemistry, actually. The studies are there, the farmers have known about
    >this for decades, though they didn't necessarily know why, scientifically. Do you see a lot of fat
    >Phillipinos, Sri Lankans, or Thai? No, because they use coconut oil, which is 92% saturated. I use
    >coconut oil as a dietary staple. I'm 5'9" tall and thin as a rail. Everyone else in my family (they
    >don't eat coconut oil) are obese, some dangerously so.
    >
    >Now you know - knowledge is truly power!

    Your story makes for nice reading but the truth of the matter is that we are too lazy and eat too
    much. For most of us its just that simple.

    Rob

  7. Wuzzy

    Wuzzy Guest

    "nick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted long before me. In the
    > 1930's, farmers learned how to fatten animals up - namely by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in
    > other words, foods high in unsaturated fatty acids that suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism.
    > With the current "essential fatty acid" fad, it's no surprise that we are now hearing about this
    > obesity epidemic - it is basic biochemistry, actually. The studies are there, the farmers have
    > known about this for decades, though they didn't necessarily know why, scientifically. Do you see
    > a lot of fat Phillipinos, Sri Lankans, or Thai? No, because they use coconut oil, which is 92%
    > saturated. I use coconut oil as a dietary staple. I'm 5'9" tall and thin as a rail. Everyone else
    > in my family (they don't eat coconut oil) are obese, some dangerously so.
    >
    > Now you know - knowledge is truly power!

    The harvard group shows this month that obesity is caused by high fat intake (especially animal and
    trans) and that replacing it with carbs or pufas will reduce obesity..

  8. Trent Duke

    Trent Duke Guest

    Hi Nick,

    I am not so sure it is as simple as that i.e. coconut oil.

    It more or less has to do with calories and/or a lack of exercise.

    I have been watching Dr. Phil and his weight loss gig where he puts 10 or so overweight people in
    his house. I was simply amazed at what these people were eating. One gal would sit down and eat a
    whole bag of chips in ONE HOUR while watching TV at night.

    A bag of chips is around 1000 calories with about 80g of fat with absolutely no nutrients. None of
    these people did any exercising either. HELLO...you are gonna be and stay overweight if you continue
    to eat in such fashion and be inactive.

    The bottom line is this - You are what you eat!

    Trent

    -- Look and Feel Great! FREE weight loss and anti-aging group. Join now @

    > From: "nick" <[email protected]> Organization: Verio Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition Date: Mon, 13 Oct
    > 2003 23:44:50 -0400 Subject: The reason for the "obesity epidemic."
    >
    > It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted long before me. In the
    > 1930's, farmers learned how to fatten animals up - namely by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in
    > other words, foods high in unsaturated fatty acids that suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism.
    > With the current "essential fatty acid" fad, it's no surprise that we are now hearing about this
    > obesity epidemic - it is basic biochemistry, actually. The studies are there, the farmers have
    > known about this for decades, though they didn't necessarily know why, scientifically. Do you see
    > a lot of fat Phillipinos, Sri Lankans, or Thai? No, because they use coconut oil, which is 92%
    > saturated. I use coconut oil as a dietary staple. I'm 5'9" tall and thin as a rail. Everyone else
    > in my family (they don't eat coconut oil) are obese, some dangerously so.
    >
    > Now you know - knowledge is truly power!

  9. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 10/14/2003 4:00 PM, Rob wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:44:50 -0400, "nick" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted long before me. In the
    >>1930's, farmers learned how to fatten animals up - namely by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in
    >>other words, foods high in unsaturated fatty acids that suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism.
    >>With the current "essential fatty acid" fad, it's no surprise that we are now hearing about this
    >>obesity epidemic - it is basic biochemistry, actually. The studies are there, the farmers have
    >>known about this for decades, though they didn't necessarily know why, scientifically. Do you see
    >>a lot of fat Phillipinos, Sri Lankans, or Thai? No, because they use coconut oil, which is 92%
    >>saturated. I use coconut oil as a dietary staple. I'm 5'9" tall and thin as a rail. Everyone else
    >>in my family (they don't eat coconut oil) are obese, some dangerously so.
    >>
    >>Now you know - knowledge is truly power!
    >

    > Your story makes for nice reading but the truth of the matter is that we are too lazy and eat too
    > much. For most of us its just that simple.
    >
    > Rob

    This article seems to be somewhat related.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/12/magazine/12WWLN.html The (Agri)Cultural Contradictions of Obesity

  10. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Jez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "nick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > It's really quite simple, as several scientists and others have noted
    > long
    > > > before me. In the 1930's, farmers learned how to fatten animals up -
    > > namely
    > > > by feeding the corn, soy, etc. - in other words, foods high in
    > unsaturated
    > > > fatty acids that suppress the thyroid, slowing metabolism.
    > >
    > > Wrong. The problem is eating too many calories and getting too little excercise.
    > >
    > > ( Garbage deleted)
    > >
    > > > Now you know - knowledge is truly power!
    > >
    > > Yeah, but that knowledge has to be correct. In this case it isn't.
    > >
    > And where do you get your funding?

    What funding?