The ride is over

Is a recumbent bike out of the picture? Yes it's not mountain biking, but it IS biking! Speedy
health first though...

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad
as
> it might appear. My spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing
> well considering. I tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose
> it is the way I really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make
sense.
> hehe - darsh)
>
> _________________________________
>

> Whoever it is that wants me, wants me a peice at a time, nice and slow.
>
> The operation was not a success. The Doc said he was not encouraged. He took out bad tissue, and
> kept taking out bad tissue until he could
literally
> go no further.
>
> I am cut-up, and I am beat up. I feel pain from way down deep inside. It feels like the pain is
> coming from another world. I could almost ignore
it
> somehow, but it is like the wind, or dust. It just finds it's way in with no end.
>
> My life as a mountainbiker is over. The doctor said 9 months, but in reality, the decision should
> be made to never ride a bike again. My symptoms and surgeries might end, but the problem will
> always be there, waiting to explode. A mountainbike seat in particular is a problem. The beating
> and bouncing. I can't take the pounding anymore.
>
> It would be like boxing with a broken hand, everyday for the rest of his life. It is simply not
> possible. Sometimes that same hand just gets screwed up a couple of times in a few fights, but the
> damage makes it impossible to fight again.
>
> That is me in the biking world. Sure, maybe I could get this seat or that seat, ride this way or
> that way, stand up while I ride all the time.... blah, blah, blah. None of this would be very
> smart. The smart thing to
do
> is to stay off bikes for good. I can tell within myself, and I have been told so. (My doctor is
> the ONLY doctor that even said 9 months. The
others
> (3) say never again.)
>
> So life goes on no matter how it does. I can't imagine how I feel. With the surgery pain, it is
> hard to think about the ramifications of all this. I could be back in surgery in less than a month
> if this follows it
pattern.

> It appears it is my turn, early I might add, to either enter the pit crew with resound interests
> and determination to improve the sport, or dig into the depths of soggy, motel livin', a bottle of
> scotch in one hand, a
writing
> pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.
>
> Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?
>
> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be
reality.*

> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH!
Who
> the hell cares? I will do something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything
> frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.
>
> "Never man sighed truer breath." ~Shak

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote:

>That is me in the biking world. Sure, maybe I could get this seat or that seat, ride this way or
>that way, stand up while I ride all the time.... blah, blah, blah. None of this would be very
>smart. The smart thing to do is to stay off bikes for good. I can tell within myself, and I have
>been told so. (My doctor is the ONLY doctor that even said 9 months. The others
>(3) say never again.)

From my experience, the only time you'd really have to worry about not ever riding again is if all
the doctors said that they were going to cut your legs off. Doctors have a nasty habit of setting
expectations low, so I'd suspect the fact that one of 'em says you'll be back on the bike in 9
months means it's quite likely it will be less than that.

And don't discount that recumbent angle either - I like to rag on 'bent riders (in a
good-natured way), but they really are kinda cool (besides, you get to look at your sculpted
legs going around when

someone to figure out a way to build and ride a legitimate off-road MTB. You could be just the guy.

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad
as
> it might appear. My spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing
> well considering. I tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose
> it is the way I really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make
sense.
> hehe - darsh)

I don't have a clue who you are beyond the usenet thing but seriously, best of luck. Hope your
health comes back with a vengeance. And if you are off the bike for good may another dumbass sport
grab you, BASE jumping seems dumb as hell. Get better soon.

Chris

Darsh wrote:
> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad as it might appear. My
> spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing well considering. I
> tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose it is the way I
> really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make sense. hehe - darsh)
>
> _________________________________
>

> Whoever it is that wants me, wants me a peice at a time, nice and slow.
>
> The operation was not a success. The Doc said he was not encouraged. He took out bad tissue, and
> kept taking out bad tissue until he could literally go no further.
>
> I am cut-up, and I am beat up. I feel pain from way down deep inside. It feels like the pain is
> coming from another world. I could almost ignore it somehow, but it is like the wind, or dust. It
> just finds it's way in with no end.

You've had your innards carved. Of course it hurts. It will get better faster than you
realize. Meanwhile,lay as still as possible most of the time - don't get up unless you
absolutely have to. Give the cells a chance to knit themselves back together. Let people
wait on you. However, every hour or so you need to make a point of taking several deep
breaths and coughing, too, if you can possibly manage it. Drink plenty of water, take
your vitamins.

> My life as a mountainbiker is over. The doctor said 9 months, but in reality, the decision should
> be made to never ride a bike again. My symptoms and surgeries might end, but the problem will
> always be there, waiting to explode. A mountainbike seat in particular is a problem. The beating
> and bouncing. I can't take the pounding anymore.
>
> It would be like boxing with a broken hand, everyday for the rest of his life. It is simply not
> possible. Sometimes that same hand just gets screwed up a couple of times in a few fights, but the
> damage makes it impossible to fight again.
>
> That is me in the biking world. Sure, maybe I could get this seat or that seat, ride this way or
> that way, stand up while I ride all the time.... blah, blah, blah. None of this would be very
> smart. The smart thing to do is to stay off bikes for good. I can tell within myself, and I have
> been told so. (My doctor is the ONLY doctor that even said 9 months. The others
> (3) say never again.)

None of this changes anything fundamental about who you are. Your life will still be filled
with color, joy, satisfaction, challenge, adrenaline. But you may well have to look
elsewhere for them.

> So life goes on no matter how it does. I can't imagine how I feel. With the surgery pain, it is
> hard to think about the ramifications of all this. I could be back in surgery in less than a month
> if this follows it pattern.
>
> It appears it is my turn, early I might add, to either enter the pit crew with resound interests
> and determination to improve the sport, or dig into the depths of soggy, motel livin', a bottle of
> scotch in one hand, a writing pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.

Oh, fer christ's sake. You're allowed to wallow until the acute pain subsides. Then you will
talk to your doc about a plan of action just in case the thing starts to flare again. How
quick should you be to phone him, or head to the ER? What are the exact criteria? And what
would he do about it? What should YOU do? Talk about potential worst case scenarios. I
myself find it comforting to hear such things laid out. I have a vivid imagination. The
stuff I come up with on my own is ALWAYS much more gruesome and hopeless than reality.

> Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?

Because. That's all. You didn't do anything to deserve it. But you have to deal with it.
Sucks, but there it is. Personally, I am grateful that you're still alive to whine. Not so
many years ago this would have been the end, not just of you as a mountain biker, but you as
a breathing human being. *These* are the good ol' days. And having come so far, who can say
what the next five years may bring? Meanwhile, if you would maintain ANY hope, however faint
or improbable, of ever regaining a cycling career, or any sort of active lifestyle, you will
follow the doctor's instructions to the letter. When Lance Armstrong battled cancer, do you
imagine that he skipped chemo treatments, or blew off radiation appointments because he felt
okay? I think not. When you are betrayed by biology, your doctor should be your best ally.
If you question something he's ordered, ask him to explain himself. If you disagree, say so
and tell him why. Make a dialog of
it. If you honestly and truly can't comply, for whatever reason, with what he wants, let him know
so you can come up with a compromise

> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be reality.*
>
> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH! Who the hell cares? I will do
> something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything I frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs
> it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.
>
> "Never man sighed truer breath." ~Shak

You're allowed to vent here. Where else are you going to find a group of people who can
grasp the magnitude of your loss?

Kathleen

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04>... <snip>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be reality.*

Damn straight. Though some people sit and whine for the rest of their lives, that's not you Mike.
Heal up and on to the next adventures. Thanks for the motivation your ride report writings brought
me and the trip to Elbert.

JD

> [...]
> scotch in one hand, a
writing
> pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.
>
> Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?
>
> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be
reality.*

> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH!
Who
> the hell cares? I will do something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything
> frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.

dude!

Heheheheheh! ',;~}~

Glad you're still the same old fool regardless - keep up the good work. I hope the hurtin'
stops soon.

Shaun

> [...]
> scotch in one hand, a
writing
> pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin. Life is not measured on a
> bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?
>
> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be
reality.*

> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH!
Who
> the hell cares? I will do something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything
> frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.

Darsh, Its pretty hard trying to give words of advice or comfort, but the least we can do
is try so -

Never is a damn long time darshman. I (think I) can see why you want to emphatically rule out riding
again, makes it easier to face if its totally out of the question. You've been through a helluva
lot, and theres probably more to come. Concentrate now on just getting through this, don't make any
'never again' decisions just yet. If you must, how about setting yourself a five year gap? Leave it
for now, but keep in mind that one day, you will be able to come back, if you still want to. Human
body is pretty amazing thing.

Steve E.

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Darsh, what can I (or anybody) say? I don't think mere words can express it.
>
> Inline skating is a pretty good work-out and faily low impact. (excepnt when you impact the ground
> ;-( And if you want to see a _REAL_ bunch of @ssholes, check out some ofthe sK8r groups.. makes
> this look like a knitting club!-)

c'mon man, despite numerous operations and investigations up his asshole, he's still got more pride
than to turn to fruitbooting..

Steve E.

> [...]
> and determination to improve the sport, or dig into the depths of soggy, motel livin', a bottle of
> scotch in one hand, a writing pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.
>
> Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?
>
> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be reality.*
>
> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH! Who the hell cares? I will do
> something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything I frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs
> it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.

Sorry to hear it, man. Consider trail running. I have been wrestling with a similar though not as
dangerous medical problem(weak colon walls are apparently part of my family legacy - with them comes
a nasty fissure type problem). I have considered giving up the bike a few times over the last year.
Funny how much I dread giving up a kids toy that I only started riding again a few years ago.
Anyway, when I am in pain in that area, I trail run. I never had the guts to 'go big' on a bike jump
really, and was more into the outdoors/fitness sides of XC riding. You still get that to a great
degree with trail running. Also, I keep my eye for reading the trail for when I do feel like riding.
I also get to use my ugly cycling jerseys and socks since the same benefits apply. Anyway, just a
suggestion for when you feel better.

Brad Vaughn Seriously hoping you feel better soon.

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:39:18 GMT, Darsh <[email protected]> wrote:

<sadness snipped>

Darsh, so sorry to hear it. Best of luck in whatever you pursue, and of course with your health.

As a friend once said to me, "Life's a big place." I am sure you will find something even better to
replace biking.

the very best wishes, Gman

In article <[email protected]>, "Dusty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry to hear about your grief, Darsh. If I knew words that could help, I'd yell 'em atcha.
>
> Until then, remember: 1) never give up! 2) think back on the good times you rode with friends. 3)
> keep reading and posting here to keep the dream alive...
>
> My very best regards, Dusty San Jose, Ca.
>

> "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
> > (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad
> as
> > it might appear. My spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore

I'll just add my voice to the well-wishers here. Somehow I find it inconceivable that Darsh will
never ride again. His spirit is just too indomitable. I expect nothing less than a full recovery.

TD (nice hearing from you, too, Dusty)

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:39:18 GMT, "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]

Peace and a speedy recovery. I still bet you'll be attached to the MTB seen somehow or another.

I'm looking forward to your first Novel!

Bill

:-]

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad
as
> it might appear. My spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing
> well considering. I tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose
> it is the way I really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make
sense.
> hehe - darsh)

I got nothing good to say, you have 2 choices as I always see it. Give up or don't. In Fruita this
weekend I met a guy missing his left arm. Thru a device (including shock) that Fox rigged up for him
he was able to ride his mountain bike. Both break levers on the right, quick release strap attached
to his right glove which allowed him to disengage his prosthetic, pretty complex setup. I don't know
what the message is in there, but he obviously had some injuries (which may not be limited to his
lose of arm) and he is riding. There is hope. I always figure if anyone can do it, so can I, it just
may take a heck of a lot more effort.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Craig Brossman wrote:
> "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
>> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad as it might appear. My
>> spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing well considering.
>> I tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose it is the way I
>> really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make sense. hehe - darsh)
>>

> I got nothing good to say, you have 2 choices as I always see it. Give up or don't. In Fruita this
> weekend I met a guy missing his left arm. Thru a device (including shock) that Fox rigged up for
> him he was able to ride his mountain bike. Both break levers on the right, quick release strap
> attached to his right glove which allowed him to disengage his prosthetic, pretty complex setup. I
> don't know what the message is in there, but he obviously had some injuries (which may not be
> limited to his lose of arm) and he is riding. There is hope. I always figure if anyone can do it,
> so can I, it just may take a heck of a lot more effort.

I just recently did a winter glove modification for a guy who has a completely deformed hand due to
a major electrocution injury : the hand had been seized up into a "claw" and he needs a glove with
side access to use the other hand to get the misshaped one around the handlebar. The lbs has rigged
up a brake extension for him, and he roads rides. Granted it's not his rear end... but yes.. don't
give up the good fight. The initial shock can really freak you out... the only thing close I've
experienced is a breast lump.. after you get over the shock of it you just deal with it one day at a
time (benign, anyway) Penny

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
> > (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as
bad
> as
> > it might appear. My spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were
anymore
> > than that, but I am doing well considering. I tried to make it
"happier",
> > but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose it is the way I
really
> > feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make
> sense.
> > hehe - darsh)
> >

> I got nothing good to say, you have 2 choices as I always see it. Give up
or
> don't. In Fruita this weekend I met a guy missing his left arm. Thru a device (including shock)
> that Fox rigged up for him he was able to ride his mountain bike. Both break levers on the right,
> quick release strap
attached
> to his right glove which allowed him to disengage his prosthetic, pretty complex setup. I don't
> know what the message is in there, but he obviously had some injuries (which may not be limited to
> his lose of arm) and he is riding. There is hope. I always figure if anyone can do it, so can I,
> it just may take a heck of a lot more effort.
>
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Oh, and stay strong. Good luck!

--