The ride is over

Darsh

Guest
(After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad as it might appear. My
spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing well considering. I
tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose it is the way I
really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make sense. hehe - darsh)

_________________________________

Whoever it is that wants me, wants me a peice at a time, nice and slow.

The operation was not a success. The Doc said he was not encouraged. He took out bad tissue, and
kept taking out bad tissue until he could literally go no further.

I am cut-up, and I am beat up. I feel pain from way down deep inside. It feels like the pain is
coming from another world. I could almost ignore it somehow, but it is like the wind, or dust. It
just finds it's way in with no end.

My life as a mountainbiker is over. The doctor said 9 months, but in reality, the decision should be
made to never ride a bike again. My symptoms and surgeries might end, but the problem will always be
there, waiting to explode. A mountainbike seat in particular is a problem. The beating and bouncing.
I can't take the pounding anymore.

It would be like boxing with a broken hand, everyday for the rest of his life. It is simply not
possible. Sometimes that same hand just gets screwed up a couple of times in a few fights, but the
damage makes it impossible to fight again.

That is me in the biking world. Sure, maybe I could get this seat or that seat, ride this way or
that way, stand up while I ride all the time.... blah, blah, blah. None of this would be very smart.
The smart thing to do is to stay off bikes for good. I can tell within myself, and I have been told
so. (My doctor is the ONLY doctor that even said 9 months. The others
(3) say never again.)

So life goes on no matter how it does. I can't imagine how I feel. With the surgery pain, it is hard
to think about the ramifications of all this. I could be back in surgery in less than a month if
this follows it pattern.

It appears it is my turn, early I might add, to either enter the pit crew with resound interests and
determination to improve the sport, or dig into the depths of soggy, motel livin', a bottle of
scotch in one hand, a writing pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.

Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?

(LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)

darsh

*Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be reality.*

Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH! Who the hell cares? I will do
something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything I frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs it!?
HEHAHEHAHAHE...

Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.

"Never man sighed truer breath." ~Shak

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
> [...]
> scotch in one hand, a
writing
> pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.
>
> Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?
>
> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be
reality.*

> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH!
Who
> the hell cares? I will do something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything
> frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.

Better the ride is over than your life, Darsh-man. My foremost wish for you is a quick return to
full health, and complete relief from the pain you've endured.

If indeed you find you simply must stay off bikes forevermore, there are plenty of other exciting,
self-destructive sports to pursue. (Then again, that motel room with a bottle of whiskey (scotch?
yech! gimme bourbon), a carton of Kools (selfish inclusion -- another of MY former vices), and a
"pen and napkin set" doesn't sound too bad, either :)

Main thing right now is to take care of yourself, give yourself a chance to heal (be a patient
patient!), and keep your spirits up (use us and your frie nds & family as well as the scotch ;-)

Best wishes, and please keep us informed of your progress.

Bill "keep fightin'" S.

Darsh, what can I (or anybody) say? I don't think mere words can express it.

Inline skating is a pretty good work-out and faily low impact. (excepnt when you impact the ground
;-( And if you want to see a _REAL_ bunch of @ssholes, check out some ofthe sK8r groups.. makes this
look like a knitting club!-)

Darsh wrote:
> [...]
> and determination to improve the sport, or dig into the depths of soggy, motel livin', a bottle of
> scotch in one hand, a writing pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.
>
> Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?
>
> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be reality.*
>
> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH! Who the hell cares? I will do
> something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything I frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs
> it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.

Sorry to hear that the ride is over, at least for now. Don't give up hope though - Doctors may be
well trained, and experienced, but they're not psychics. However, if its not going to happen, its
really not that big a deal. We certainly blow such a small part of our lives way out of proportion -
its just a bike. Yeah, its fun, but so is skiing, boarding, skydiving, any number of other things.
And there's always trials riding ;)

Best wishes, Darsh, heal up quickly!

Jon Bond

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04... <trim - the
other ter didn't seem appropriate>
> My life as a mountainbiker is over. The doctor said 9 months, but in reality, the decision should
> be made to never ride a bike again.
<trim>

Don't give up. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Figure that out after you have had adequate time to
heal. If it is over there's lots of other things to do.

Being a boarder during the winter months still seems like an option. Maybe you could become a
year-round boarder with those off-road boards or a nice long board for riding paved passes. I'll
join you for a long-board adventure sometime (been eyeing Monarch pass for a while). We can argue
about gun control and pot. Won't that be fun?

Seriously, sorry to hear about your troubles. Take it easy and concentrate on being positive. There
will be setbacks and hurtles, but there's always someone in worse shape and there's always
something better.

All my best and sincere wishes.

Matt

Darsh

> - its just a bike. Yeah, its fun, but so is skiing, trials riding ;)

Or you can become roadie scum and tell us how fast you ride on a 'bent.

Hope the pain goes real soon now.

Best wishes....

J2

Jonathan Bond wrote:

> Darsh wrote:
> > (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad as it might appear. My
> > spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing well considering.
> > I tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose it is the way I
> > really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make sense. hehe - darsh)
> >
> > _________________________________
> >

> > Whoever it is that wants me, wants me a peice at a time, nice and slow.
> >
> > The operation was not a success. The Doc said he was not encouraged. He took out bad tissue, and
> > kept taking out bad tissue until he could literally go no further.
> >
> > I am cut-up, and I am beat up. I feel pain from way down deep inside. It feels like the pain is
> > coming from another world.

> boarding, skydiving, any number of other things. And there's always trials riding ;)
>
> Best wishes, Darsh, heal up quickly!
>
> Jon Bond

Get better Dman... it's all that really matters anyway... your health. If'n you ever get the urge...
go trials... you don't ever ever sit on those bikes... Just keep posting and keep Smiling :p

Jimbo(san)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:39:18 +0000, Darsh wrote:

> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad as it might appear. My
> spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing well considering. I
> tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose it is the way I
> really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make sense. hehe - darsh)
>
> _________________________________

I cannot think of a damn thing to say that would be even remotely helpful. I hope you recover fast
and find a new pass time. Don't forget about a.m.b though.

-Bruce :wq

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:30:05 GMT, Jonathan Bond wrote:

> Sorry to hear that the ride is over, at least for now. Don't give up hope though - Doctors may be
> well trained, and experienced, but they're not psychics. However, if its not going to happen, its
> really not that big a deal. We certainly blow such a small part of our lives way out of
> proportion - its just a bike. Yeah, its fun, but so is skiing, boarding, skydiving, any number of
> other things.

There is wisdom in this young man, certainly more than I ever had at that age. It is easy to get
fixated on something, and take truely important stuff for granted. I've suffered from bad headaches
for about 20 years now (worse ones recently), and just waking up feeling OK is a fantastic thing for
me. I appreciate something that everyone else takes for granted. Is this a blessing? I don't know.
Maybe it'd be better to have everything I want and appreciate nothing; there are certainly some that
live that life. Its a yin-yang thing I suppose. When this ends, you will have a new appreciation for
little things. Then maybe the riding will fade into the scenery.

> Best wishes, Darsh, heal up quickly!

Second that. As much as pain gives one an appreciation for normal life, I don't think any of us
would wish it upon anyone.

In article <WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04>, [email protected] says...
> [...]
> and determination to improve the sport, or dig into the depths of soggy, motel livin', a bottle of
> scotch in one hand, a writing pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.
>
> Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?
>
> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be reality.*
>
> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH! Who the hell cares? I will do
> something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything I frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs
> it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.

One never realizes how much a simple thing is taken for granted, until you, or somebody you know
can't do it anymore.

Just as a thought, what about one of those real ugly super padded seats? Maybe you can't ride full
bore, but how about once a week for a few miles or so?

One thing is for sure, i will now have a different outlook upon every future ride. i will experience
it like it may be my last. I will ignore every little rattle and squeak my bike makes, and focus
only on the ride (and those around me of course).

Here's hoping you can one day take to the trails at least once or twice more. If nothing else, you
can take up hiking and walk the trails (though obviously not quite the same).

~Travis
--
To reply by email, remove clothes.

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

bruce edge wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:39:18 +0000, Darsh wrote:
>
>> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad as it might appear. My
>> spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing well considering.
>> I tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose it is the way I
>> really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make sense. hehe - darsh)
>>
>> _________________________________
>
> I cannot think of a damn thing to say that would be even remotely helpful.

I"m with Bruce here, Darsh. Sending a cyber hug and healing energy.

Penny

Darsh says:

<snip>

>Sometimes reality bites you in the ass!

Damn! I hope you'll continue to hang out here and heckle. Living vicariously can be a drag, but you
are welcome (as far as I'm concerned) to have a lifetime heckling ticket. We need _some_ defence
against Rimmer ;-) Hang in there, Darsh.

Steve

Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/private/scbweb/home.htm

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Being a boarder during the winter months still seems like an option. Maybe you could become a
> year-round boarder with those off-road boards or a nice long board for riding paved passes. I'll
> join you for a long-board
adventure
> sometime (been eyeing Monarch pass for a while). We can argue about gun control and pot. Won't
> that be fun?

I saw the header for this thread and thought, "Damn, I hope it's not..." and it is. I'm really sorry
to hear about that Darsh. I'll second MattB's suggestion. I've recently taken up longboarding again
and have been having a blast.

Get well and a prayer goes out for you.

Gary in VA

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad
as
> it might appear. My spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore than that, but I am doing
> well considering. I tried to make it "happier", but everything I wrote turned semi-sour. I suppose
> it is the way I really feel, but I don't really feel that way.... if that can possibly make
sense.
> hehe - darsh)

<snip>

My prayers are with you.

~CG

> [...]
> and determination to improve the sport, or dig into the depths of soggy, motel livin', a bottle of
> scotch in one hand, a writing pen in the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.
>
> Life is not measured on a bicycle seat, but why can't I be allowed to measure myself on one?
>
> (LOL, what a whine... gotta love that measurement line.. puke!)
>
> darsh
>
> *Sorry for being dreary, but if it was not dreary, it would not be reality.*
>
> Sometimes reality bites you in the ass! HAHHAAAA! Biking right? BAH! Who the hell cares? I will do
> something else. BWAHAHAAAA! I can do anything I frickin' want! HAHA! Biking! *snort* Who needs
> it!? HEHAHEHAHAHE...
>
> Sigh: n. A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or
> grieved. The mainifestation of grief, sorrow, and the like.

If you want to come to Idaho, I'll put you up for awhile, and we'll go hiking or canoing or
something else fun. I'll hide the bikes, and we'll make the best of it. We'll find a good watering
hole where we can stand up and regale each other with tales of better days. (Those who know me know
I mean it, too.)

Paladin "Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win for fearing to
attempt." ~Shak

Sorry to hear about your grief, Darsh. If I knew words that could help, I'd yell 'em atcha.

Until then, remember: 1) never give up! 2) think back on the good times you rode with friends. 3)
keep reading and posting here to keep the dream alive...

My very best regards, Dusty San Jose, Ca.

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04...
> (After reading this post, I felt the need to say that I don't feel as bad
as
> it might appear. My spirits are OK. I would be sick if they were anymore

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04>...

[snip]

Sorry to hear that. I don't believe the ride is ever over. Until *all* the rides are over. You get
what I mean? ;)

I meant what I said in "The pitfalls of a Beater Upgrade." I hope that you will find something to
fill the void - like destruction derby? :)

All kidding aside - get well. After that, then think about the bike. Let the air out, hang it up in
the garage. It'll wait for you to get better. Or, it'll wait until you decide you need cash for the
next thing.

Spider

P.S. I never really figured out what your ailment was - could you describe it without any reference
to goatse.cx?

Thanks.

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote

> My life as a mountainbiker is over.

Dibs on the Foes.

> or dig into the depths of soggy, motel livin', a bottle of scotch in one hand, a writing pen in
> the other; spewing ignorance, and tripe onto a YMCA napkin.

This would certainly be preferable to riding a recumbent.

Condolences,

CC

Spider wrote:
> "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04>...
>
> [snip]
>
> Sorry to hear that. I don't believe the ride is ever over. Until *all* the rides are over. You get
> what I mean? ;)
>
> I meant what I said in "The pitfalls of a Beater Upgrade." I hope that you will find something to
> fill the void - like destruction derby? :)
>
> All kidding aside - get well. After that, then think about the bike. Let the air out, hang it up
> in the garage. It'll wait for you to get better. Or, it'll wait until you decide you need cash for
> the next thing.
>
> Spider
>
> P.S. I never really figured out what your ailment was - could you describe it without any
> reference to goatse.cx?
>
> Thanks.

at some point he mentioned a cyst of an unknown nature. One vairety is a dermoid cyst where skin or
fingernail type cells misgrow in the body... don't know if this was it.

hth

Penny

ps nikon is back I'll let you know when I send it.

In article <WqUpa.607488$F1.80856@sccrnsc04>, Darsh wrote:

> It would be like boxing with a broken hand, everyday for the rest of his life. It is simply not
> possible. Sometimes that same hand just gets screwed up a couple of times in a few fights, but the
> damage makes it impossible to fight again.
>
> That is me in the biking world. Sure, maybe I could get this seat or that seat, ride this way or
> that way, stand up while I ride all the time.... blah, blah, blah. None of this would be very
> smart. The smart thing to do is to stay off bikes for good. I can tell within myself, and I have
> been told so. (My doctor is the ONLY doctor that even said 9 months. The others
> (3) say never again.)

I'm an athiest, so I can't pray for you.

Everyone has to have faith in SOMETHING, though, so I'll tell you what I DO believe in: scientists.

Christopher Reeves is making progress, for goodness sake. In 10 years, he may be able to walk again.
If not that, maybe they'll have him breathing properly on his own. Who knows?

Science doesn't currently have all the answers, but as long as it keeps you alive, there's the
possibility that it'll see you ride your mountain bike again. So, don't despair. Somewhere out
there, there's a clever doctor that's studying something that probably pertains to your situation.
No guarantees, but that's life for you.

Take care, heal up, and keep a bike around for when things are set right, so you can go out and
throw a leg over it right as soon as you're ready.

JS

--
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

- Hermes, Futurama