The right pedals for the right ride & rider?

CatSpin

Feb 13, 2003
After racing on Look(R) for a couple of years, in 2003 I switched to Speedplay's; I did equally well on both.

We are just about ready to tool up our new team bikes and as we do not have a pedal sponsor, the choice is ours. Though I have the inclination to continue on the Speedplay's, it struck me that I really never understood the argument of platform size and the varying configurations each pedal manufacturer markets. As a crit racer and mostly sprinter, should I be looking for a pedal that offers a larger platform base ? i.e. Look or Shimano or a lighter solution such as Speedplay, BeeBop or others that market a smaller clip.

Do any members have some info on matching rider size, rides and rider strengths to pedal options?

Flipping through the catalogs trying to figure this one out,

CatSpin

:confused:

Really if you think about the "platform" on speedplays is about the size of the "platform" on look or any other brand, the only difference is its on your shoe and not on the pedal. The way they connect make the pedal and cleat combine for a big platform, plus you can chose your float, i think they are the best around

Thanks ShoelessDave.

My inclination is to stick with them too. I trust you are a Speedplay rider also.

Ride on,

CatSpin

i tend to think that a lot of these platform size claims are redundant due to the stiffness of the soles on good road shoes

you could be balancing on a platform the size of a small coin and you would barely know because the soles distribute the pressure evenly.

For crit racers pedal/ground clearance may be an issue and float is a personal preference. I like lots of float on my MTB but run zero float pedals on my road bike and don't have any problems.

The other consideration is weight since the pedals are rotating mass and that can affect acceleration

Originally posted by CatSpin
After racing on Look(R) for a couple of years, in 2003 I switched to Speedplay's; I did equally well on both.

We are just about ready to tool up our new team bikes and as we do not have a pedal sponsor, the choice is ours. Though I have the inclination to continue on the Speedplay's, it struck me that I really never understood the argument of platform size and the varying configurations each pedal manufacturer markets. As a crit racer and mostly sprinter, should I be looking for a pedal that offers a larger platform base ? i.e. Look or Shimano or a lighter solution such as Speedplay, BeeBop or others that market a smaller clip.

Do any members have some info on matching rider size, rides and rider strengths to pedal options?

Flipping through the catalogs trying to figure this one out,

CatSpin

:confused:

dura ace spd-sl's

I must be one of the few using eggbeaters. If anyone would like to suggest better pedals (I specialize is passing people on short steep hills) I too would be grateful... esp if someone wants to donate an old pair....

why do you use eggbeaters? are they hand-me-downs? I was looking at them, but thought they were for mtn biking (i use spd's right now--actually swap them out between my two bikes because i haven't yet made that decision about what pedal to use on the road bike). i like the idea of coombe's and speedplays because of the low profile, but have had some hotspot issues and so want to make sure i have a larger platform.

just curious.