the right size?

superunknown

Jul 11, 2007
Hey all,

I have found a good second hand road bike for sale which I would want to check out but I am not sure if its an appropriate size.

The owner has said it is a 52cm frame, and I have an 84cm inseam.. so according to some guides this means I should get a 54cm frame, but is 2cm really that much of a difference? If its on the borderline I will check it out anyway and it may be fine.

I don't want to waste money getting something that won't be suitable, even though this bike is exactly what I want :D

superunknown said:
Hey all,

I have found a good second hand road bike for sale which I would want to check out but I am not sure if its an appropriate size.

The owner has said it is a 52cm frame, and I have an 84cm inseam.. so according to some guides this means I should get a 54cm frame, but is 2cm really that much of a difference? If its on the borderline I will check it out anyway and it may be fine.

I don't want to waste money getting something that won't be suitable, even though this bike is exactly what I want :D
First of all, make sure you're talking about your "bicycle" inseam, not your pants inseam.

Second, to find some basic measurements as a starting point (but not gospel!) go to the www.wrenchscience.com or www.competativecyclist.com websites and plug your measurements into their fit calculator.

All that said, if your inseam is 84cm (I translate to 33 inches), my guess is that you'll be looking at a 54 or 56 cm frame, depending on your other measurements and personal preferences.

As for how much difference it makes - to a great extent, you can adjust the seat position (up/down and fore/aft) to accomodate your physique. You can also adjust the lenght of the reach (seat to handle bars, aka, toptube+stem length) by a longer stem. There are limits to both of those which may or may not be a factor if you go with the 52. You can only see for yourself.

The thing that is harder to do with a frame that is too short is to get the handlebars up in relationship to the seat. With a shorter frame, the seat post is extended quite a bit to get the right height, therefore the handlebars are lower in relation to the seat. Some people like a low riding position. A smallish frame will be OK for them. Some people are more comfortable with the handlebars within an inch or two to the level of the seat. They would find the smallish frame hard to get comfortable without an unusually steep angled upwards stem. A larger frame, with less seat post extended, might work better.

All that is personal preference. I'm 5-8 inches (172 cm) with a 32.5 inch (82-83 cm) bike inseam (29-30 inch - 75 cm - pants inseam). I definitely feel better on most 54 cm frames than 52's. I recently changed to a 54 from a 52 which I rode for over 10 years but NEVER felt super comfortable on. I had ridden a 54 long ago (in the 80s) which my dim memory always told me was my most comfortable and favorite bike. This new 54 rings true in that regard. I purchased the 52 at a bike swap for the same reason you're talking about - it was what I was looking for, in good shape and at a good price. A mistake in retrospect.

The main difference is the vertical height of the handlebars and it's only an inch or so. My overall reach and seat height is the same, but just getting the handlebars up an inch or so has a tremendous impact on weight distribution, and just the feeling of stability and comfort to me. Depending on how I flip the (conventional, 7 degree) stem, my drop from seat to handlebars is between about 3/4 - 2.5 inches (2-6 cm) with this bike. Plenty of range for me in that regard. All other adjustments (standover, seat post, stem) are well within "normal" range for either a 52 or 54.

GO look at the bike, but wait for the right one! Of course if the price is right, you can always buy it, try to get it to work, but resell it later if it doesn't work out. That's one of the beauties of used bikes, less depreciation.

superunknown said:
Hey all,

Have your LBS fit you, THEN buy a bike. At least you'll know what you're looking for. I was fitted and needed a 55 inch frame but the choices I had were 54 and 56, I rode both sizes and the 56 worked better for me, with a few "adjustments": stem length and angle, seat adjustment (Height and front/back/angle), handlebar angle. If you plan to ride your bike a lot, it's worth it to make sure it fits.

Thanks both of you especially Camillo with the details for the replies. And by 84cm I did mean the cycling inseam.

I want to buy second hand to save money, and as much as I would like an LBS fitted bike, they run at like $1000AUD for base models which is wayyy too much for me. I am looking at this one which will be at most $450AUD which is a few years old, good brand, good components which I wouldnt get on the 1k new one etc.

There are a couple more that are 54cm around that price range but not as easy to go and have a look at and not as good value :D

Is it easy enough to raise the handlebar height a couple of centimeters using a raiser to compensate for the lower frame and higher seat height I may need?
Sorry if I sound dead set on this bike.. but I want it to fit!! :p

I will now give the other two more consideration

superunknown said:
Thanks both of you especially Camillo with the details for the replies. And by 84cm I did mean the cycling inseam.

I want to buy second hand to save money, and as much as I would like an LBS fitted bike, they run at like $1000AUD for base models which is wayyy too much for me. I am looking at this one which will be at most $450AUD which is a few years old, good brand, good components which I wouldnt get on the 1k new one etc.

There are a couple more that are 54cm around that price range but not as easy to go and have a look at and not as good value :D

Is it easy enough to raise the handlebar height a couple of centimeters using a raiser to compensate for the lower frame and higher seat height I may need?
Sorry if I sound dead set on this bike.. but I want it to fit!! :p

I will now give the other two more consideration
Good luck. I'm also a firm believer in second hand bikes, pretty much all I've ever owned.

If threaded (i.e. quill stem), you can buy a quill stem that is extra long in the vertical dimension and/or with higher angles. You can also buy one with an adjustable angle. I have a "Zoom" quill stem that is extra long (vertical) and adjustable angle. It works but is ugly. You can also replace the quill stem with an adapter - and then use a threadless stem with the options for them (below).

If threadless, there are also several ways. If there are spacers above the stem (unlikely), you can move them below the stem, thus raising it up. You can buy a stem with a steeper angle or an adjustable angle - look at MTB stems if you can't find the right road stem. Remember that the angle changes the actual reach for a given length stem. You might have to go with a little longer stem. Finally, you can buy an extender for the steerer, thus raising the whole thing vertically.

If it's a threaded, quill stem, the solution is very easy, all you have to do is find a stem that can be raised as high as you need.

My wild guess is that, assuming this bike has a threadless stem, you would be able to gain maybe 2-3 cm with a fairly "normal" looking angled stem. If you need more than that, you'd need a very steeply (funny looking on a road bike) or the extender. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you might not like it aesthetically.

This is a good link that will show you some options:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems/index.html
Good luck