The Salad Days of Cycling

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Gone are the salad days when a champion of the track could step on to the salad dais and enjoy a healthy, unfiltered Camel (Picture courtesy of Peloton Magazine). Sadly, it's said that Bobby Walthour was actually smoking rebadged Pall Malls.

TdF riders used to smoke while riding! I saw a very old photo on the bathroom wall in the Bike and Bean shop in Bloomington, IN of maybe '30s-era riders passing a lit cigarette amongst themselves. Each bike had two tin water cans mounted close together in front.

"Not a cough in a carload" of Camel Cigarettes.

My daddy smoked unfiltered Camels, kept the pack in the rolled-over sleeve of his T,
very macho guy in the 1950s.

By the end of 1988, Judge was dying, no wind left, lung chopped out,
the other lung filling with blood, lung cancer. This son put his father's
body, from the death bed, to the gurney, with bare hands, then into the coffin,
then, into the ground. Camel Cigarettes: not a cough in a carload. Doctors Agree,

Wow, gotta get some Camels now that I know what's been holding me back. I'm also hoping to see the NFL use them to help players recover from concussions faster.

It is amazing they could get away with advertising like that. And people talk about "overzealous" regulations.

I have an old photo from the 50s at the Indianapolis 500 and the crew chief is smoking a cigar in the pits while servicing the car during the race.

They use to believe that cigarettes provided energy and as we now know they only make you sexier,richer and more manly. Even if you are female.

It must be admitted, that once you master the sport of smoking,
it is a hobby you never get tired of...I mean, from.

Unlike road bikes, a costly hobby, some bikes cost many thousands of dollars,
and waste your time in endless addiction patterns, repeated, it's very sad,

"Oh, I gotta go out for a ride...Oh, need to buy a new (part/bike/cycle gear)...
...oh, the weather is not good today, but I gotta get my ride-fix...oh,
the kids can walk the five miles home from school today, I gotta get my miles in."

Now, on the other hand, a pack of Camels will walk the dog for your relaxation pleasure,
and best of all, CAMEL cigarettes never "go flat", "never crash" and are just as good
in winter, as on a rainy day. Where a road bike may cost three grand,
a Camel costs mere pennies per smile.

I am doing this because it is the truth. I put my father's dead body into the coffin, literally true.

Please, please, you have a choice, young guys, if you don't smoke, don't try it.

Cigarettes are pleasureable, and provide the most addictive and hard to quit drug in the world.

My father's remaining lung hemmorged (bled) after the hapless MDs did an investigative "bronchoscopy",
sticking a camera probe down the dying man's windpipe, abrading cancer-riddled tissues,

I got my dad back from the doctors' office that day in San Jose, and watched him drown
in his own blood,. coughing up red blood, gasping, eyes of terror, four: my father's and mine own....