The Science of the Sprint

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Lester Long, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Lester Long

    Lester Long Guest

    Hi:

    My wife recently started entering cycling races, and is able to stay in the second to fifth place
    throughout the race, until the sprint. What are some pointers for her that might help her
    performance during that last 100 yards of the race?

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards, Lester

    Tags:

  2. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Lester Long wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > My wife recently started entering cycling races, and is able to stay in the second to fifth place
    > throughout the race, until the sprint. What are some pointers for her that might help her
    > performance during that last 100 yards of the race?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards, Lester

    I'll toss out (though I haven't even contested a sprint in 10 years, and that was a weekly training
    race, but I won by 20 yards):

    Strength building for the legs (weights). Develop a fast spin, 150RPM should be comfortable.

    Tactically, your wife should be on the second-fastest rider's wheel at 100 yards, then swing around
    to nip her at the line.

  3. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Lester Long wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > My wife recently started entering cycling races, and is able to stay in the second to fifth place
    > throughout the race, until the sprint. What are some pointers for her that might help her
    > performance during that last 100 yards of the race?

    Ask her to stay in the fifth to tenth place throughout the race. I think that being so close to the
    front of the race she's still working too hard before the sprint.

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Lester Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > My wife recently started entering cycling races, and is able to stay
    in the
    > second to fifth place throughout the race, until the sprint. What
    are some
    > pointers for her that might help her performance during that last
    100 yards
    > of the race?

    The key to all of this is "recently started". As she gains experience she'll also gain fitness. It
    isn't unusual for even very strong beginners (and your wife would qualify as that since she can stay
    on the front) to be all out during races for a year or two.

    Intervals will make more difference to her riding than anything else in my opinion.

  5. G

    G Guest

    For a start, do a sprint training session every week.

    my 2c GK

    Lester Long <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > My wife recently started entering cycling races, and is able to stay in the second to fifth place
    > throughout the race, until the sprint. What are some pointers for her that might help her
    > performance during that last 100 yards of the race?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards, Lester

  6. Lester Long

    Lester Long Guest

    "Lester Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi:
    >
    > My wife recently started entering cycling races, and is able to stay in
    the
    > second to fifth place throughout the race, until the sprint. What are
    some
    > pointers for her that might help her performance during that last 100
    yards
    > of the race?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards, Lester

    Thanks everyone for your advice. She'll try it next race.

    Regards, Lester

  7. Lester Long wrote:

    > My wife recently started entering cycling races, and is able to stay in the second to fifth place
    > throughout the race, until the sprint. What are some pointers for her that might help her
    > performance during that last 100 yards of the race?

    Needs more power. When the volume is at 10, she needs to be able to turn it to 11.

    Here are my favs:

    Find a nice straight 1km bit of (quiet) road, paint a line every 100m. Start at zero in a nice big
    gear and hammer until the first line. Turn around and lazily make your way back to zero. Hammer
    until the second line. repeat until you've done the whole thing. (Note, I could never finish the
    whole thing)

    Moto pacing is good for this. Go 50km/h behind a moto then pull out of the slipstream and see how
    long you can maintain the speed. When you've had enough, pull back in.

    cheers!

    oh, and try wearing a thong.

    --
    Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

  8. On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Dominic Richens wrote:

    > Lester Long wrote:
    >
    > > My wife recently started entering cycling races, and is able to stay in the second to fifth
    > > place throughout the race, until the sprint. What are some pointers for her that might help her
    > > performance during that last 100 yards of the race?
    >
    > Needs more power. When the volume is at 10, she needs to be able to turn it to 11.

    In other words, she needs an 11.

    -CM