The "scott"

itchin' for details of the 'dust'.

Results?

http://www.scott24hr.com.au/

Hello to all the a.bers whom I finally had the chance to
meet in person on the weekend, especially to Gags who was my
wonderful partner for the ride, and the commentary crew who
weren't nearly as annoying as the crew at Kooralbyn.

We had a few problems, including a lap where Gags had five
flats and ran his bike home (catching some riders...)

Lessons identified:

1. I trained in the wrong area of Brissie - Gap Creek
would've been far more suitable than Daisy Hill for the
dusty, bumpy, obstacle-free course.

2. Loss of coordination, nausea, and continuing to fall off
your bike every few minutes are symptoms of concussion,
especially when they happen just after you fall off your
bike and hit your head. If it's not a concussion, it's
probably shock, and that's also a bad thing. (I could run
that distance faster than I rode that lap - although I was
worried about getting hit by niteriders!)

3. Never leave home without your Buff headwear. D-U-S-T. The
condition of the course before the race started was very
similar to what Kooralbyn looks like after a 24hr race.

4. Duallies are not all they're cracked up to be if you
don't have time to set it up really well. I used a testbike
and the Specialized guy swore the Stumpjumper would be good,
but the bike had the control, not me, and uphill I thought I
was riding a very heavy sponge pudding. (In fact on my
hardtail I was saying there was only one hill, but on the
duallie I found out something very different!)

5. Good lights and plenty of tools on hand means you will be
popular with any riders in difficulty! I led a rider home on
a night lap and stopped to help a guy convert his bike to
SS. (I offered a guy my pump too, but I forgot to take it
when I testrode - oops - see 4.)

6. You southerners seem to be a cranky lot when it comes to
passing slower riders, compared with Queenslanders. Notable
exception - the soloists (as a general rule) had lovely
manners!

Tam

Wow, intresting bit on duallys. Me & a mate have our hearts set on duallys after our last 12hr event. I’m kinda less so, because I haven’t hoisted a dually yet lighter than my hardtail.

Some nicely optioned hardtails have the sexiest silhouette - which is such an important point in MTBing isn't it. Most duallies look way complicated for what they're designed to do - too many pivot points.

Marx SS said:
Wow, intresting bit on duallys. Me & a mate have our hearts set on duallys after our last 12hr event.
So was Tam until she rode one. The numb @rse factor is best solved with a big, cushy seat or possibly even a suspension seatpost (???)....

I'd never get a dual sus bike. Not the least bit interested.

Lotte

P.S. Tam, you should probably have trained at Gap Creek, but there was no way I was taking you there given your lack of confidence in Daisy Hill. No fscking way!

LotteBum wrote:

> Marx SS Wrote:
> > Wow, intresting bit on duallys. Me & a mate have our hearts set on
> > duallys after our last 12hr event.

> So was Tam until she rode one. The numb @rse factor is best solved
> with a big, cushy seat or possibly even a suspension seatpost (???)....

Aaahhh, you get used to being pounded after a bit... oh, did
I just say that?

> I'd never get a dual sus bike. Not the least bit interested.

I'd still accept a Merlin.

> Lotte
>
> P.S. Tam, you should probably have trained at Gap Creek, but there was
> no way I was taking you there given your lack of confidence in Daisy
> Hill. No fscking way!

I found out Gap Ck is okay... except I refuse to ride down
the fire trails from the top, and there is one little pile
of rocks and a log on the side of a slope that I just refuse
to ride up, because the drop off on the right hand side just
scares the sh!t out of me. (Scared of heights)

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Hello to all the a.bers whom I finally had the chance to
> meet in person on the weekend, especially to Gags who was my
> wonderful partner for the ride,

Hi Tam & Gags

> and the commentary crew who
> weren't nearly as annoying as the crew at Kooralbyn.

Give them time, it was their first go at it. I'm not convinced they did
any laps like they promised.

> <snip>
>
> 6. You southerners seem to be a cranky lot when it comes to
> passing slower riders, compared with Queenslanders.

The Mont/Scott seems to bring them out.

> Notable exception - the soloists (as a general rule) had lovely
> manners!

Thanks!

Parbs

Marx SS wrote:
> Wow, intresting bit on duallys. Me & a mate have our hearts set on
> duallys after our last 12hr event. I’m kinda less so, because I haven’t
> hoisted a dually yet lighter than my hardtail.

It's all about set-up and taking the time to match it to your riding
style/preferences.

> Some nicely optioned hardtails have the sexiest silhouette

Especially after you get rid of those ugly derailleurs which spoil the lines

Parbs

arh yes, but those ugly derailleurs mean less walking & more riding.
If I wanted a walk I'd buy a dog. ;)

Parbs wrote:

> Marx SS wrote:
> > Wow, intresting bit on duallys. Me & a mate have our hearts set on
> > duallys after our last 12hr event. I?m kinda less so, because I haven?t
> > hoisted a dually yet lighter than my hardtail.

> It's all about set-up and taking the time to match it to your riding
> style/preferences.

I think it would be great to have a 1km circuit to do loops
on. Test, adjust, repeat.

> > Some nicely optioned hardtails have the sexiest silhouette

> Especially after you get rid of those ugly derailleurs which spoil the lines

And when you break them, you just have to get rid of them
anyway, and then all those extra cogs are just extra weight.

LotteBum wrote:

> So was Tam until she rode one. The numb @rse factor is best solved
> with a big, cushy seat or possibly even a suspension seatpost (???)....

Are these suspension seatposts anygood?
SWMBO has one and we did a bit of paddock bashing last week and she is
still complaining about sore butt.

I am wondering it it needs adjustment
or she just needs to swap her handlebars and learn better technique.

Terryc wrote:
> LotteBum wrote:
>
>> So was Tam until she rode one. The numb @rse factor is best solved
>> with a big, cushy seat or possibly even a suspension seatpost (???)....

> Are these suspension seatposts anygood?
> SWMBO has one and we did a bit of paddock bashing last week and she is
> still complaining about sore butt.
>
> I am wondering it it needs adjustment
> or she just needs to swap her handlebars and learn better technique.

I'd recommend changing the seat - there are a great number of woman-specific
seats, with a bit of luck she'll find one that suits. And play with seat
position too.

--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
Catherine Aird

Tamyka Bell said:
the commentary crew who weren't nearly as annoying as the crew at Kooralbyn.

Really? I was rather underwhelmed by the commentators. You need to come down to a Full Gas Promotions event sometime, they have the most hilarious commentator you've ever seen.

6. You southerners seem to be a cranky lot when it comes to
passing slower riders, compared with Queenslanders. Notable
exception - the soloists (as a general rule) had lovely
manners!

I'm afraid the Scott did bring out the worst in a lot of us in that regard. When you do the math, 800 riders on 20km of course is always going to be a bit interesting. I did attempt the occasional dodgy passing manourve and to anyone I inconvienced or cut off I apologise. Please understand that we were all doing our best, and it can be a little frustrating when you are just minutes from the teams around you.

That said, for the most part I was able to get past (and be passed) cleanly and with minimal fuss, and to the majority of riders who were happy to yeild the track when it was safe, thanks! I had a great time, and it was a first-rate race. 24 hours of perfect weather, thousands of people, and 20kms of fireroad and fun, fast singletrack - what more can you ask for?

PS: Cough, cough. I think I'm still carrying a bit of Canberra dust in my lungs...

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 06:41:05 +0000, Parbs wrote:

> Give them time, it was their first go at it. I'm not convinced they did
> any laps like they promised.

Well I know someone I'm not giving free Gu to if I see them out on a
lap.:) Should have saved the tutu so I could be a gu-fairy though.

Pity the results will show my fast lap as 8+ hours. You'd think we'd be
able to organise someone with a mic to organise our team's transition,
rather than everyone else's!

Good to put a face to Tam (and saw Gags come in but couldn't say hi).

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Reading computer manuals without the hardware is as frustrating as

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 19:02:32 +1000, SomeGuy wrote:

> Really? I was rather underwhelmed by the commentators.

Cool. If that's the worst comment I see or hear I can live with myself.
None of us had done any commentary before - our experienced organiser
went and got a trip OS courtesy of the boss, so we kinda winged it. I
guess that showed...

We were (well I was, and knowing the **** the others normally say...) also
trying to err on the side of caution, because we weren't too sure just
where the new organisers would draw the line. Pissing off sponsors who
make something like the Scott possible is not cool.

> Please understand that we were all doing our best, and it can be a
> little frustrating when you are just minutes from the teams around you.

I hope that's well and truly a rarity and that your apology isn't needed.
Misjudging if there's enough room when someone calls you past is one
thing. Bullying in the singletrack is not on. That said I didn't get any
hassles, even when I was going *slow* and chatting to those in front. I
think I had a couple of calls of "track", but didn't see them when we got
to somewhere passing was possible.

And remember, your competition should have the same disadvantages. I also
know of at least one podium placing that was nearly lost due to DQ for
dodgy passing. What's worse: 2nd by 30 seconds, or DNF due to one person
being a **** for 5 seconds?

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Lithospheric flight paths typically result in extremely high drag

Dave Hughes said:
I hope that's well and truly a rarity and that your apology isn't needed.
Personally I don't feel it is nessecary, I just wanted to say that if I did inconvience anyone out there it was not because I was being agressive or impatient, but because I misjudged a rock, root, or in one case an entire tree (I could have sworn it wasn't there the lap before, but my shoulder can testify to it being there when I tried to pass someone and rode straight into it.), and I'm sorry if I got in anyone's way or slowed them down. I understand just how frustrating it is when you have to stop and start again on a difficult bit of singletrack.

As I said, most of the passing I saw went down smoothly and happily for both parties, however I know I made a couple of mistakes which led to others getting frustrated and it is to these people whom I am apologising to.

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 23:16:23 +1000, SomeGuy wrote:

>> > Personally I don't feel it is nessecary, I just wanted to say that if I
>> > did inconvience anyone out there it was not because I was being
>> > agressive or impatient, but because I misjudged a rock, root, or in one
>> > case an entire tree

Sweet. I did have complaints made about rider behaviour by a high up in
MTBA who was out on the track - I saw her on one of my laps and she wasn't
the fastest out there, but no one was hassling her at that stage. I also
duffed a passing move when I was trying to give a rider a Gu and bounced
off one of those damn tree roots just as she bounced back toward me!

I only did 3 laps, which is about half what I normally do at the
Mon^WScott, but the vibe on track did seem more chilled than normal.

Or maybe people get scared by blokes wearing tutus.
--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Remember Jeebus loves you. Or maybe he's just sucking up to get your old

On Oct 9, 11:16 pm, SomeGuy
<[email protected]> wrote:
<snip and sorry if I'm quoting the wrong person my display is going
funny>
> > > way or slowed them down. I understand just how frustrating it is when
> > > you have to stop and start again on a difficult bit of singletrack.

I didn't think there were any difficult bits of singletrack. Only bumpy
or not-quite-as-bumpy.

This was my fourth Mont/Scott 24hr - and without a doubt it was the
most fun.

In 02 I was a newbie riding with a caving Petzl lamp at night and
should have been DQ'd for very bad language during a spill on skyline.

03 was OK, but very bumpy and very cold and the hill to the fire tower
was huge!

04 was reasonable but one of our team spat the dummy and went home
after one lap - still really bumpy.

Didn't ride in 05 - good choice given the mud horror stories.

This year was a blast. Course was a good length, no big hills really
(the ones that were there were cool especially the Squiggle track. My
only problem was that the lower back got a bit sore after a bit on the
hard tail. Noone was rude when they passed me (and plenty did that) -
and I did manage to "draft" off Saul Britton for about 20 seconds ;-)

Our team of 6 had no flats but we did break a couple of spokes and
smash one derailleur - ouch!

Rob