The Secret of Bananas - video

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Johnny Dividas, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    Johnny Dividas wrote:
    > I learn something new every day!
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i79pveaC-xM

    Interesting that the topic of bananas should come up today. Earlier, I
    was telling my wife that I was convinced that the banana was the fruit
    Satan tempted Eve with. I mean, come on... an apple!? Eve would be
    like:
    "I had something just like that on that tree over there... you're
    gonna' have to do better than that snake!"

    The banana on the other hand is unique to practically all other fruits
    in shape, texture and flavor.

    It's the perfect fruit! No seeds or pits, it's easy to peel, no sticky
    juice, it's creamy and I now know it comes in three equally delicious
    segments!

    I'm very suspicious of anyone who doesn't like the banana. (glancing
    deviously to the left and right) kev

  2. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    > I'm very suspicious of anyone who doesn't like the banana. (glancing
    > deviously to the left and right) kev

    My son claims he doesn't like bananas though he's eaten many over the years.
    Every time he says he doesn't like bananas I think "What's wrong with you?!"

    Lynne

  3. King's Crown wrote:

    >>I'm very suspicious of anyone who doesn't like the banana. (glancing
    >>deviously to the left and right) kev
    >>

    > My son claims he doesn't like bananas though he's eaten many over the years.
    > Every time he says he doesn't like bananas I think "What's wrong with you?!"
    >
    > Lynne

    Me mum and sisters used to wear 'bananas' over their hair, cause i used
    to be unable to pronounce 'bandanas'.
    ---
    JL

  4. >Me mum and sisters used to wear 'bananas' over their hair, cause i used to be unable to pronounce 'bandanas'.

    Your mom was Carmen Miranda? ;-)

    Cheers

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm very suspicious of anyone who doesn't like the banana. (glancing
    > deviously to the left and right) kev

    This is gross...

    The smell of bananas used to make me vomit.

    I like them in banana bread, cake, and I like bananas foster, but
    that's pretty much it. If I am eating a banana in its natural form, it
    means I am starving. The smell doesn't make me sick any more, but it
    isn't a pleasant smell to me. The kids love them, though, so we have
    them regularly.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  6. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I like them in banana bread, cake, and I like bananas foster, but
    > that's pretty much it. If I am eating a banana in its natural form, it
    > means I am starving. The smell doesn't make me sick any more, but it
    > isn't a pleasant smell to me. The kids love them, though, so we have
    > them regularly.

    They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    ones I can find.

    nancy

  7. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > I like them in banana bread, cake, and I like bananas foster, but
    > > that's pretty much it. If I am eating a banana in its natural form, it
    > > means I am starving. The smell doesn't make me sick any more, but it
    > > isn't a pleasant smell to me. The kids love them, though, so we have
    > > them regularly.

    > They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    > having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    > the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    > ones I can find.

    I like them. They are the one fruit that I can eat to my heart's content
    without adverse side effects. I have one almost every day, often sliced up
    on a bowl of cereal. The texture changes. I buy them in small bunches when
    they are just under ripe. They aren't very good when they are green and too
    firm. Nor are they very good when they get over ripe and too soft.

  8. Nancy Young wrote on 26 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > I like them in banana bread, cake, and I like bananas foster, but
    > > that's pretty much it. If I am eating a banana in its natural form,

    it
    > > means I am starving. The smell doesn't make me sick any more, but it
    > > isn't a pleasant smell to me. The kids love them, though, so we have
    > > them regularly.

    > They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    > having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    > the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    > ones I can find.
    >
    > nancy

    I hate the smell of bananas too. I had always assumed it was due to my
    mother's cravings and consumtion of hordes of them while being 'heavy
    with child' (knocked up) with me.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  9. "Do you smell that? It's bananas, son. Nothing else on the world smells
    like that. I love the smell of bananas in the morning."

    "Smells like....breakfast."

  10. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> I like them in banana bread, cake, and I like bananas foster, but
    >> that's pretty much it. If I am eating a banana in its natural form,
    >> it means I am starving. The smell doesn't make me sick any more, but
    >> it isn't a pleasant smell to me. The kids love them, though, so we
    >> have them regularly.

    > They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    > having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    > the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    > ones I can find.

    Is it the potassium in the bananas that helps with the cramps? Just
    curious. I find that sometimes I'm fine with eating a banana, but on
    other occasions they almost make me gag. There are other fruits I
    prefer, so I mostly only buy bananas when I want to make banana cake.

    --
    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  11. maybe she was Chiquita?

    --

    Johnny Dividas wrote:
    >>Me mum and sisters used to wear 'bananas' over their hair, cause i
    >>used to be unable to pronounce 'bandanas'.

    > Your mom was Carmen Miranda? ;-)
    >
    > Cheers

  12. maybe she was Chiquita?

    --

    Johnny Dividas wrote:
    >>Me mum and sisters used to wear 'bananas' over their hair, cause i
    >>used to be unable to pronounce 'bandanas'.

    > Your mom was Carmen Miranda? ;-)
    >
    > Cheers

  13. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    >> having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    >> the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    >> ones I can find.

    > Is it the potassium in the bananas that helps with the cramps? Just
    > curious.

    So they say, and I find it does help, even just a couple of bananas.

    > I find that sometimes I'm fine with eating a banana, but on
    > other occasions they almost make me gag. There are other fruits I
    > prefer, so I mostly only buy bananas when I want to make banana cake.

    Sometimes I slice them into milk and eat it with a spoon. Makes it
    easier to eat. Also, I noticed then read that it's true, bananas help me
    digest milk better. Good all around, too bad I don't like them better.

    nancy

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    >> having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    >> the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    >> ones I can find.

    > Is it the potassium in the bananas that helps with the cramps? Just
    > curious.

    So they say, and I find it does help, even just a couple of bananas.

    > I find that sometimes I'm fine with eating a banana, but on
    > other occasions they almost make me gag. There are other fruits I
    > prefer, so I mostly only buy bananas when I want to make banana cake.

    Sometimes I slice them into milk and eat it with a spoon. Makes it
    easier to eat. Also, I noticed then read that it's true, bananas help me
    digest milk better. Good all around, too bad I don't like them better.

    nancy

  15. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    >> "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >>> I like them in banana bread, cake, and I like bananas foster, but
    >>> that's pretty much it. If I am eating a banana in its natural form,
    >>> it means I am starving. The smell doesn't make me sick any more, but
    >>> it isn't a pleasant smell to me. The kids love them, though, so we
    >>> have them regularly.

    >> They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    >> having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    >> the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    >> ones I can find.

    > Is it the potassium in the bananas that helps with the cramps? Just
    > curious. I find that sometimes I'm fine with eating a banana, but on
    > other occasions they almost make me gag. There are other fruits I
    > prefer, so I mostly only buy bananas when I want to make banana cake.
    >
    > --
    > Rhonda Anderson
    > Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    DH takes magnesium tabs that melt under your tongue for immediate relief of
    leg cramps.
    A potato can replace a banana for potassium, or a cup of orange juice.

    Since I take a small amount of diuretic (for high blood pressure) which
    deletes potassium, I get a potassium blood test.
    My doctor told me this week that lack of potassium can cause the heart to
    race, but to the person it sounds exactly opposite, as if it is
    electrically stopping and then thudding. He did not give a medical term for
    this, but my granddaughter has the same thing.
    Appears that a lack of potassium can be important to our health.
    So much for the doctor's opinion, though; as my potassium was normal.
    So you can probably ignore most of the above paragraph -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  16. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    >> "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >>> I like them in banana bread, cake, and I like bananas foster, but
    >>> that's pretty much it. If I am eating a banana in its natural form,
    >>> it means I am starving. The smell doesn't make me sick any more, but
    >>> it isn't a pleasant smell to me. The kids love them, though, so we
    >>> have them regularly.

    >> They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    >> having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    >> the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    >> ones I can find.

    > Is it the potassium in the bananas that helps with the cramps? Just
    > curious. I find that sometimes I'm fine with eating a banana, but on
    > other occasions they almost make me gag. There are other fruits I
    > prefer, so I mostly only buy bananas when I want to make banana cake.
    >
    > --
    > Rhonda Anderson
    > Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    DH takes magnesium tabs that melt under your tongue for immediate relief of
    leg cramps.
    A potato can replace a banana for potassium, or a cup of orange juice.

    Since I take a small amount of diuretic (for high blood pressure) which
    deletes potassium, I get a potassium blood test.
    My doctor told me this week that lack of potassium can cause the heart to
    race, but to the person it sounds exactly opposite, as if it is
    electrically stopping and then thudding. He did not give a medical term for
    this, but my granddaughter has the same thing.
    Appears that a lack of potassium can be important to our health.
    So much for the doctor's opinion, though; as my potassium was normal.
    So you can probably ignore most of the above paragraph -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  17. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    >>> having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    >>> the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    >>> ones I can find.

    >> Is it the potassium in the bananas that helps with the cramps? Just
    >> curious.

    > So they say, and I find it does help, even just a couple of bananas.
    >
    >> I find that sometimes I'm fine with eating a banana, but on
    >> other occasions they almost make me gag. There are other fruits I
    >> prefer, so I mostly only buy bananas when I want to make banana cake.

    > Sometimes I slice them into milk and eat it with a spoon. Makes it
    > easier to eat. Also, I noticed then read that it's true, bananas help me
    > digest milk better. Good all around, too bad I don't like them better.
    >
    > nancy

    On the initial bite of a banana, the back of my throat itches, then I start
    coughing. After that I can finish a banana, but I start to bloat. Contrary
    to opinions that they are easy to digest, they are not for me.
    Anyone else have these same allergies to bananas, the best fruit in the
    world?
    Dee De

  18. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> They're good for my digestion, and I always have them if I'm
    >>> having muscle cramps in my legs, but that's about it. I find
    >>> the texture to be somewhat unpleasant. I buy the smallest
    >>> ones I can find.

    >> Is it the potassium in the bananas that helps with the cramps? Just
    >> curious.

    > So they say, and I find it does help, even just a couple of bananas.
    >
    >> I find that sometimes I'm fine with eating a banana, but on
    >> other occasions they almost make me gag. There are other fruits I
    >> prefer, so I mostly only buy bananas when I want to make banana cake.

    > Sometimes I slice them into milk and eat it with a spoon. Makes it
    > easier to eat. Also, I noticed then read that it's true, bananas help me
    > digest milk better. Good all around, too bad I don't like them better.
    >
    > nancy

    On the initial bite of a banana, the back of my throat itches, then I start
    coughing. After that I can finish a banana, but I start to bloat. Contrary
    to opinions that they are easy to digest, they are not for me.
    Anyone else have these same allergies to bananas, the best fruit in the
    world?
    Dee De

  19. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > On the initial bite of a banana, the back of my throat itches, then I start
    > coughing.

    Take smaller bites :)