The Secret to Warm Toes (and other cold weather tips)

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
Ok, it's cold here...really cold. And my toes have a tendency to freeze, very not fun. Anyhow the neoprene booties help a little but still I needed more to keep my toes warm. My solution which works quite well is to tear off two sheets of aluminum foil, roughly square, and put them over your shoes, make sure to put it around your cleats. Put your booties on over this to keep them in place. The foil stops all wind, don't know if it actually retains any heat but I do know that after two and some hours in well sub freezing temps my toes were still the right color.

Hope this helps other cold weather riders. Feel free to add any other cold weather tips. My current problem seems to be my lips but I guess I just have to suck it up. It's nice to get out on the weekend if you work all the daylight hours of the week, no matter the temperature.

This winter I’m using Sidi Freeze road shoes with 2 pairs of wool socks. If you buy winter shoes, get them 1 or 2 sizes larger than your summer shoes. My normal Sidi shoes are size 48 and it took some effort to find size 50 that I now use.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=27809&S=30545,30467,34542,34543,28815,34422,34777,34439,31410,24038,29686,34456,34458,27809,30468,30465,34387,34329,10848,10853,32638,10851,24583,24584,10850,24579

My feet are MUCH warmer this winter.

hwttdz said:
Ok, it's cold here...really cold. And my toes have a tendency to freeze, very not fun. Anyhow the neoprene booties help a little but still I needed more to keep my toes warm. My solution which works quite well is to tear off two sheets of aluminum foil, roughly square, and put them over your shoes, make sure to put it around your cleats. Put your booties on over this to keep them in place. The foil stops all wind, don't know if it actually retains any heat but I do know that after two and some hours in well sub freezing temps my toes were still the right color.

Hope this helps other cold weather riders. Feel free to add any other cold weather tips. My current problem seems to be my lips but I guess I just have to suck it up. It's nice to get out on the weekend if you work all the daylight hours of the week, no matter the temperature.
hwttdz,

Thanks for the tip !! Sounds cheap & effective....I like that :D I will definitely try the foil on my next ride.

Joe in Oxford, CT. USA.

There is a company called Sierra Designs, they make a Down Sock ($25) that is available at REI (USA) and many Outdoor Stores. I wear these under my Sidi Winter Freeze winter road boots with some Pearl Izumi XStatic Wool Socks and my feet are toasty warm through the cold Michigan winter. They also make a Down slipper for after the ride that is amazing ($32).

A buddy of mine just wears plastic sandwich bags over his socks. Seems to work for him. :confused:

Hey,

I just tried the wrapping foil around your feet trick and while it seemed to work ok, when I got home and took off my shoes the foil was shredded.....I guess my feet and/or toes move around alot in my shoes...I don't think it could have been a very effective barrier..luckily the ride wasn't that cold to begin with..:(

I've had moderate success with the setup I used when it was cold here...double-layered acrylic boot socks and taped up the vent holes on the bottom of my shoes...no covers. Definitely helped the warmth problem but I am still going to get some covers to try to kill the wind on the tops of the shoes.

hwttdz said:

To keep your feet warm, and all other body parts, keep your head warm. A helmet liner, balaclava, whatever, is vital.

Lips -- use non-sunscreen added blistex and/or good old fashioned vaseoline. If you don't like the "heavy" of Vasoline, your pharmacist can "whip" it into a cream for you for a very small charge.

hwttdz said:

I bought a pair of Campmor Socks with Hytrel® at www.campmor.com
that I slip over a pair of thin wool socks that does the job for me.
At the moment they are on special for $10.99 (reg 25.00). They are very thin and could fit in just about any shoe. Worth getting 2.

Since I use my SPD Cannondales as my work shoes as well, I have been working on the concept for some time now. My latest take is an insulated insole. So far it is working flawlessly, but I still have some more extensive testing before they will be available. Yes I plan to market them for us bikers. assuming it yeilded a good result, would you thing 12-15 bucks a pair would be reasonable, considering they are so far more comfy than Dr Schols?

Similar to the foil idea: I was on a cold ride and stopped at a bike shop along the way. The owner was real nice. You just cut out a few squares of duct tape and cover the front vents of your shoes. Works real well and is not prone to shredding like the foil.

Cover any exposed areas of skin with some sort of lip cream. I use chapstick to coat the end of my nose & my cheekbones (and lips), it's a real help when you pick up speed. Although careful with your sunnies - I always get stuff on the lenses.

It might not be toasty warm but will help stop your skin freezing!

Your toes get cold because as your core body temperature goes down you shunt blood away from the extremities (to try to maintain the normal temperature of your brain and internal organs). To keep your toes warm, you have to keep your central body warm enough to prevent this shunting of blood. The most expensive socks in the world are useless if your body gets cold.

I start out with a silk body suit and head/neck balaclava (great for insulation and for wicking away sweat and pretty cheap in any sporting goods/hunting store, like Cabelas). Then I used a layer of heavy polypropylene and if really cold, a layer of fleece. Then I cover with a good wind break layer. The more head and neck protection the better. It is amazing how comfortable you can stay in cold weather with the right combination of modern clothing.