the Shimano 10sp/9sp alloy freehub problem again - a solution!

Bleve

Guest
Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
particular interest.

*but*

He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html

We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
freehubs.

Bleve wrote:
> Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
> showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
> particular interest.
>
> *but*
>
> He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
> work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>
> http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>
> We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
> he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
> current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
> freehubs.

a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load. they need to
address the problem properly like shimano did - make the teeth deeper or
use a steel/ti cassette body. have them do the math on the loading per
unit area of the cog splines on the aluminum cassette body. aluminum's
just not strong enough - as if that's not already evident.

jim beam wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> > Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
> > showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
> > particular interest.
> >
> > *but*
> >
> > He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
> > work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
> >
> > http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
> >
> > We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
> > he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
> > current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
> > freehubs.
> >

> a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load.

A steel shim might. I'm going to see if it'll work on my bontrager
wheel before I risk it on my good wheels :)

Bleve wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>Bleve wrote:
>>
>>>Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
>>>showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
>>>particular interest.
>>>
>>>*but*
>>>
>>>He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
>>>work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>>>
>>>http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>>>
>>>We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
>>>he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
>>>current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
>>>freehubs.
>>>

>>a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load.

> A steel shim might. I'm going to see if it'll work on my bontrager
> wheel before I risk it on my good wheels :)

a single spacer that makes up the difference in width between 9 & 10
speed cassettes won't make any difference to individual cog point

jim beam wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>> Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
>> showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
>> particular interest.
>>
>> *but*
>>
>> He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
>> work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>>
>> http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>>
>> We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
>> he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
>> current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
>> freehubs.
>>

> a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load. they need to
> address the problem properly like shimano did - make the teeth deeper
> or use a steel/ti cassette body. have them do the math on the
> body. aluminum's just not strong enough - as if that's not already
> evident.

Not a radial shim... an axial shim.
--
Phil Lee, Squid

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>Bleve wrote:
>>
>>>Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
>>>showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
>>>particular interest.
>>>
>>>*but*
>>>
>>>He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
>>>work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>>>
>>>http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>>>
>>>We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
>>>he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
>>>current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
>>>freehubs.
>>>

>>a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load. they need to
>>address the problem properly like shimano did - make the teeth deeper
>>or use a steel/ti cassette body. have them do the math on the
>>body. aluminum's just not strong enough - as if that's not already
>>evident.

> Not a radial shim... an axial shim.

but to fit between an existing cassette body and cog set, it would have
to be thin like foil and therefore not much use, right?

jim beam wrote:
> Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
> > jim beam wrote:

> >>a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load. they need to
> >>address the problem properly like shimano did - make the teeth deeper
> >>or use a steel/ti cassette body. have them do the math on the
> >>body. aluminum's just not strong enough - as if that's not already
> >>evident.

> > Not a radial shim... an axial shim.

> but to fit between an existing cassette body and cog set, it would have
> to be thin like foil and therefore not much use, right?

They're not very thick, but not foil. When I get some, I'll photograph
them and put them up for you to see.

Bleve wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>Phil Lee, Squid wrote:

>>>Not a radial shim... an axial shim.

>>but to fit between an existing cassette body and cog set, it would have
>>to be thin like foil and therefore not much use, right?

> They're not very thick, but not foil. When I get some, I'll photograph
> them and put them up for you to see.

thank you!

On 6 Jul 2006 17:58:48 -0700, "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
>showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
>particular interest.
>
>*but*
>
>He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
>work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>
>http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>
>We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
>he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
>current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
>freehubs.

Dear Bleve,

Are these "shims" that you saw the "clips" shown in this pdf?

http://www.amclassic.com/tech/pdf/10-SpeedClipsDura-Ace.pdf

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

jim beam wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
>> Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
>> showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
>> particular interest.
>>
>> *but*
>>
>> He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
>> work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>>
>> http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>>

>> We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
>> he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
>> current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
>> freehubs.
>>

> a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load. they need to
> address the problem properly like shimano did - make the teeth deeper or
> use a steel/ti cassette body. have them do the math on the loading per
> unit area of the cog splines on the aluminum cassette body. aluminum's
> just not strong enough - as if that's not already evident.

OK, sounds good, but all my Campy hubs have aluminum freehub bodies, all
my cassettes are separate-cog (no carriers), and I don't see "digging
in" - indeed, only mild blemishing. And that's with a 26T small ring in
front and 23 or 26 in back, so you know the body gets plenty of torque.

So why does Shimano have this problem and Campy doesn't, or am I the
only Campy user who isn't chewing up his freehub bodies?

Seriously curious,

Mark Janeba

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> OK, sounds good, but all my Campy hubs have aluminum freehub bodies, all
> my cassettes are separate-cog (no carriers), and I don't see "digging
> in" - indeed, only mild blemishing. And that's with a 26T small ring in
> front and 23 or 26 in back, so you know the body gets plenty of torque.
>
> So why does Shimano have this problem and Campy doesn't, or am I the only
> Campy user who isn't chewing up his freehub bodies?

Campy freehubs & cogs have much deeper splines, so the load is better
distributed.

Like you, I've seen blemishing on my freehub bodies, but nothing
life-threatening.

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:42:59 -0700, Mark
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jim beam wrote:
>> Bleve wrote:
>>
>>> Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
>>> showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
>>> particular interest.
>>>
>>> *but*
>>>
>>> He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
>>> work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>>>
>>> http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>>>

>>> We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
>>> he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
>>> current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
>>> freehubs.
>>>

>> a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load. they need to
>> address the problem properly like shimano did - make the teeth deeper or
>> use a steel/ti cassette body. have them do the math on the loading per
>> unit area of the cog splines on the aluminum cassette body. aluminum's
>> just not strong enough - as if that's not already evident.

>OK, sounds good, but all my Campy hubs have aluminum freehub bodies, all
>my cassettes are separate-cog (no carriers), and I don't see "digging
>in" - indeed, only mild blemishing. And that's with a 26T small ring in
>front and 23 or 26 in back, so you know the body gets plenty of torque.
>
>So why does Shimano have this problem and Campy doesn't, or am I the
>only Campy user who isn't chewing up his freehub bodies?
>
>Seriously curious,
>
>Mark Janeba

Dear Mark,

It may have to do with the reduced number of splines on the larger
Shimano rear cogs. They have only 6 splines, while the smaller cogs
have 9 splines.

This leads to these odd "shims" or "clips" from American Classic:

http://www.amclassic.com/tech/pdf/10-SpeedClipsDura-Ace.pdf

The three wide steel inserts are supposed to fit inside the larger
cogs, reach around between the cogs and the hub, and push against the
otherwise unused spline, turning them into 9-spliners.

Notice the almost ungouged spline in this picture:

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6987.html

It looks as if no cogs pressed against it. I think that the steel
inserts are supposed to reach around and push against it.

But the gouges on the hub seem to include the smaller 9-spline cogs,
not just the larger 6-spline cogs, so I wonder whether the problem is
really just that an aluminum hub is a bad idea.

I don't know if Campagnolo's larger cogs have fewer splines.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I don't know if Campagnolo's larger cogs have fewer splines.

They do. For Xenon/Mirage/Veloce, the two biggest have 8, the rest have 4.
Centaur/Chorus/Record all have 4 splines per sprocket. Centaur has the 2
biggest on a carrier and the other 8 loose, Chorus & Record have the 6
biggest on 3 carriers and the rest loose.

However, the splines are at least twice as deep, so there's less chance of
them slipping across like on Shimano's.

Hank

Hank Wirtz wrote:

> "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>OK, sounds good, but all my Campy hubs have aluminum freehub bodies, all
>>my cassettes are separate-cog (no carriers), and I don't see "digging
>>in" - indeed, only mild blemishing. And that's with a 26T small ring in
>>front and 23 or 26 in back, so you know the body gets plenty of torque.
>>
>>So why does Shimano have this problem and Campy doesn't, or am I the only
>>Campy user who isn't chewing up his freehub bodies?
>>

> Campy freehubs & cogs have much deeper splines, so the load is better
> distributed.
>
> Like you, I've seen blemishing on my freehub bodies, but nothing
> life-threatening.

Aha, thanks!

Mark

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> OK, sounds good, but all my Campy hubs have aluminum freehub bodies, all
>> my cassettes are separate-cog (no carriers), and I don't see "digging
>> in" - indeed, only mild blemishing. And that's with a 26T small ring in
>> front and 23 or 26 in back, so you know the body gets plenty of torque.
>>
>> So why does Shimano have this problem and Campy doesn't, or am I the only
>> Campy user who isn't chewing up his freehub bodies?
>>

> Campy freehubs & cogs have much deeper splines, so the load is better
> distributed.

The downside to this is that we occasionally see Campag. freehub bodies
split. Less notching, more broken bodies.

Phil Wood hubs had this problem also (Shimano compat. only) even with
stainless bodies. They've even gone to hardened (non-stainless) steel.

> Like you, I've seen blemishing on my freehub bodies, but nothing
> life-threatening.

Robin Hubert

Bleve wrote:
> Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
> showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
> particular interest.
>
> *but*
>
> He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
> work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>
> http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>
> We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
> he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
> current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
> freehubs.

This is what Easton have to say about it (after I got myself a pair of
Orion II's and asked them about 10sp issues) :

Carl,

Excellent information. You are correct that Shimano 9spd bodies
will have some "gouging" when running a 10spd cassette. We have see
this (not to the extent you are having with your Bontrager) in the past
but never so sever that it requires more that a light tap with a
plastic mallet to free the cassette. Lightly greasing the cassette body
will help reduce wear.

We do plan on making a 10spd only body but that is still a long way
off. The reason American classic make that "shim" is because they don't
have the "thick" splines on their shimano bodies. They try to save
weight by making each spline the same width as the index spline
(smallest spline), this makes it possible to tear all the way through
the American Classic body.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to ask any more
question.

Adam Marriott

Easton Sports Inc.

Bleve wrote:
> Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
> showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
> particular interest.
>
> *but*
>
> He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
> work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
>
> http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
>
> We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
> he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
> current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
> freehubs.

OR just stay away from these crappy hubs and wheels...

Bleve wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:
> > > Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
> > > showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
> > > particular interest.
> > >
> > > *but*
> > >
> > > He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
> > > work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
> > >
> > > http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
> > >
> > > We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
> > > he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
> > > current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
> > > freehubs.
> > >

> > a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load.

> A steel shim might. I'm going to see if it'll work on my bontrager
> wheel before I risk it on my good wheels :)

Or just make a steel freehub body???

Bleve wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:
> > > Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
> > > showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
> > > particular interest.
> > >
> > > *but*
> > >
> > > He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
> > > work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :
> > >
> > > http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6994.html
> > >
> > > We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
> > > he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
> > > current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
> > > freehubs.
> > >

> > a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load.

> A steel shim might. I'm going to see if it'll work on my bontrager
> wheel before I risk it on my good wheels :)

Why not try it on a set of wheels based around a shimano or Campag or
even DT hubset, instead of wheels outta boxes..like AC, Bontrager,
etc.....