The single speed is still alive !

zipp2001

Mar 30, 2007
Winter see's all the road bikes go into hibernation and the Fat bikes come out to play. But today we get a nice warm day (45 degrees) and with a below average snow fall this year the roads aren't super bad. So it was time to pull out the good old Single Speed for a tad under 15 miles of leg trashing fun.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRG5qZ8Kuh4

What this guy does not say and it is not clear from the video is whether the bike is actually a single speed freewheel or a fixed gear variant.
I am now 74 years young but after a Winter respite period I rode an 84" gear fixed wheel on my then 1937 Hetchins Curly (Vibrant Triangle) through the springtime months which got the legs working again and helped loose the biscuit and cake effect from my midriff which resulted in wakening-up my six pack.

What this guy does not say and it is not clear from the video is whether the bike is actually a single speed freewheel or a fixed gear variant.
I am now 74 years young but after a Winter respite period I rode an 84" gear fixed wheel on my then 1937 Hetchins Curly (Vibrant Triangle) through the springtime months which got the legs working again and helped loose the biscuit and cake effect from my midriff which resulted in wakening-up my six pack.

Ah, it's just Zip, fellow youtuber. Leave a comment on his video via youtube. He is real good at getting back to posters. Heck, I'll point it out to him, friendly feller! :D

It's a Single Speed freewheel, I don't pull it out that often because I've been riding trails more now. At some point it will be going to my youngest son.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I own a 1950 chromoly frame with custom parts and as a person who raced them, was a bike messenger, and a bike mechanic. All the points you gave are on point. Plus on top of that your situational awareness goes up, you're able to learn fun tricks. And you learn about gear ratios and the convenience of the most simple form of bike.

Sounds like a great ride you had there! With the winter months here, it's not always easy to get out on the road bikes. But as you've shown, it's definitely possible to still get some good miles in on a single speed. Here in South West Sydney, we're lucky to have some good routes that are still rideable in the colder months. It's also a great time to connect with other cycling enthusiasts who are looking for riding buddies or group rides. I'm always on the lookout for new people to ride with, so let me know if you're interested in linking up for a ride sometime. Stay warm and keep riding!